AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else with this combo. I just bought the Zenith stb this weekend after a some research and I must say, I'm very impressed with it's output. I borrowed a sammy 160 stb a while ago, but it had so many bugs I couldn't deal with it.

I have a couple questions, first I set the 520's output to 720p and am pleased with it's performance...but I wanted to know if there were any suggestions on any of the other modes.

Second, both the tv and the stb have aspect controls, what's the magic combination of aspect ratios. I have the sammy set to wide and the zenith to normal and that seems to work, but the 4:3 ratio seem a little slim, ie the black bars on the side seem larger that I remember prior to using the 520. Is there a setting on the zenith to tell it I'm using a wide screen.

Currently I'm using the component connections, but I will be picking up a dvi cable on my way home tomorrow. Will there be any big difference in the pq?

Last thing, I'm in Arlington, TX, and seem to pickup almost all the hd ota sations with a crappy radio shack indoor antenna. My only problem is intermintant signal drop. Usually not too often, but enough to make me want a better antena. Any suggestions? I'd like to try the indoor variety first, Don't have the time to run any new line from the roof right now.

Thanks,

e4b

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil4blue

I have a couple questions, first I set the 520's output to 720p and am pleased with it's performance...but I wanted to know if there were any suggestions on any of the other modes.

Second, both the tv and the stb have aspect controls, what's the magic combination of aspect ratios. I have the sammy set to wide and the zenith to normal and that seems to work, but the 4:3 ratio seem a little slim, ie the black bars on the side seem larger that I remember prior to using the 520. Is there a setting on the zenith to tell it I'm using a wide screen.

Currently I'm using the component connections, but I will be picking up a dvi cable on my way home tomorrow. Will there be any big difference in the pq?
I agree that HD520 720p mode coupled with the Sammy 507 wide mode is the most practical because it gives gives you the stretch modes from the HD520. I also agree the 4x3 picture is squished vertically. That would be a major complaint for me if not for the wide1 mode, which I find acceptable overall for watching 4x3 programming without too much cropping or stretched related distortion.

I think you'll notice some improvement with the DVI cable.

I actually have the Sony HD200 which came with the DVI cable, and also the ability to change the display formats from the remote but again, I just leave it in 720p all the time, 507 in wide mode all the time, so the feature is moot.

Tom

·
Registered
366 Posts
None of the current DVI equipped STBs can display a 4:3 image properly on a 16:9 set. The Samsung will overscan SD images horizontally and the Sony/ Zenith squishes them. Take your pick.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Having owned the Samsung TS-160 before the Sony/Zenith, the horizontally overscanned 4x3 image of the Samsung was far preferable to the squished 4x3 image of the Sony. Nevertheless, the Sony has slightly better color rendition, slightly sharper, thus the squished vertical flaw is an acceptable trade in combination with more stretch modes for the Sony.

The Sammy remote was much less directional than the annoying Sony remote.

All (3) of these STBs leave a lot to be desired...

Tom

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like the color and sharpness from the zenith compared to the samsung stb. I'm sure the sony is also very nice. The only thing that bugs me about the box is it won't let me change aspect ratios on digital/hd programs. It says something like "Ratio cannot be changed on this program". The sammy only allows me to flip from normal to wide.

I was watching an old ER on late night TV and it was in 4x3 letterbox. I would have loved to use the zoom1 ratio, but I couldn't change the aspect on the box or the tv. So I have this nice 50" tv and I'm watching about 6" of dead space all the way around. Am I doing something wrong, or is this the norm.

e4b

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Quote:
The only thing that bugs me about the box is it won't let me change aspect ratios on digital/hd programs.
You can change the aspect ratio on HD programs if you select 480p format on the Zenith, squeezed, letterbox, cropped. It's less than perfect.

If it's an over the air HD 4x3 broadcast, that's your only option. If it's a HD 4x3 on DirecTV HBOH (509) or SHOH (543), you can just switch to the same broadcast in 480p on 501 or 537 respectively, which then restores the potential for using the zoom1 mode if desired.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll I set the box to 720p and just left it alone. I kinda wish I could change the resoultion from the remote. I guess the Sony allows you to to this, but I haven't seen that option on the zenith. In my honest opinion, 720p is the way to go with the sammy dlp. I may be wrong, but setting the stb at 720p output activates the sammy's pass through. If this is the case the zenith's transcoder is much nicer that the one on the sammy itself...or atleast to my eyes.

I can't wait for more HD programming, once you go HD everything else is just filler until your next HD experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.