AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I think I have narrowed my choice to either the Samsung 5685w (aka "kirk") or the JVC D-LIA; but after spending HOURS staring at them at various stores I'm stumped.

Picture quality seems to be similar. Sammy seems to have slightly better blacks. But the JVC seems to be a bit brighter and the colors on the JVC seem to have a bit more pop (actually a bit too much green). Sammy has more digital inputs (an HDMI and a DVI) but the JVC only has one HDMI (with known interface problem with HD-Tivo). Sammy has the pedestal which is cool looking but not practical for someone with a center channel speaker. JVC sits on a table, allowing a CC to be placed beneath it.

I have yet to see a rainbow on the Sammy, so that is not an issue.

People seem to rave about the picture of the Kirk out of the box. There is little buzz about the JVC, except the problem with the HDMI input.

I can get a 61" JVC for about $500 less than the 56" Sammy.

Given the cost savings and the lack of a pedestal, I'm thinking the JVC wins by a nose.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same situation that you are in.

I have narrowed it down to the same two sets but in the 50" Sammy and 52" JVC.

I too would really like to see more feedback on the JVC from owners.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was down between these 2 sets, and I decided to go with the JVC. I am paranoid of eventually seeing rainbows (or someone else who watches my TV). I also thought I might tire of the built-in stand on the Samsung.

However, due to low supply, I am still waiting for my TV (bought on Sept. 6th).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"low supply"???

Was not aware of that issue. Are you waiting for the black model rather than the silver?

True or false - the d-lia requires significant tweaking out of the box, whereas the kirk seems to be more plug and play?

·
Registered
430 Posts
My D-ILA didn't need much adjustment out of the box at all. In fact the more I tweak it with DVE, the closer it gets back to very little changed from the initial settings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also was considering the JVC for a short while, but ended up with the Kirk. I never priced the JVC so I don't know how much it would have been, but cost wasn't really a factor (within reason). I wanted a TV with WOW factor and that just wasn't the JVC. All other things being equal, the Samsung just oozes and I mean oooooooooooozzzzzzeeeeeessssss sexy. It's like a piece of art and in my house (very contemporary) it works perfectly in my living room. The JVC would have been just be a big TV.

I didn't buy the Sammy only for looks, it also was a top performer in all other catagories. Aside from the built in stand which some don't like, it's always in the top 3 or 4 of peoples choices and often #1 or #2.

I say go with the one that works best in your space. They both are fine products, but if you feel that the extra inputs on the Sammy will be something you need, then I think you just answered your own question.

Now go forth and purchase your TV. Enjoy!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with everything you say about picture comparisons. I think the matte screen is responsible for much of the similarity.

For a different looking picture, I'd compare the Mitsubishi DLPs. I think the glass vs. matte is a real point of difference.

I was upgrading and had to choose a Samsung (5685), but given a choice I prefer the glass screen on the Mits. I have a Mitsubishi CRT in the living room (Sammy in the bedroom) and even despite some daytime glare and lamp reflections in the night, I prefer the glass screen.

Just a cleaner, classier look to me, not sure why. I'm sure you looked and prefer the matte screen, as most do, but in case you haven't. Mostly I just think thats what makes the Sammy and the JVC so similar.

jb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wife vetoed the Mits the minute we walked in the store - hates the glare. I saw the second version with the anti-glare and there is still some glare.

On the plus side, the wife has greenlighted the Kirk, claiming to have been the one to discover it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So that's it?

Months of research and reading and it goes to the "wife's green light"?

Just messin' with you. I know you'll enjoy whatever you get... Keep us up to date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.