AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed my order for the new 61" Sammy DLP. I have a basic question regarding connections. Since I have DISH, I plan on having DISH's high-def receiver when it's released (whenever) and the high-def Sammy DVD. No PC hookup, just these two.

Would you:

a) connect DISH (90% use) to the HDCI connection and the Sammy DVD to component or

b) buy a switch so both will utilize the HDCI

c) manually switch

Thanks

Dom

P.S. I hope I made the right decision. Over my shoulder I saw a really nice Hitachi RPTV that was stunning but the brightness changes when you move is really bothersome.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dominus -

You made the right choice. Welcome to the Sammy 61" club!!!

I am in the same boat as you - awaiting Dish to come out with the 'Superdish'. I intend to plop that on the DVI, and run eveything else through my HTPC, with the VGA connection. (ok, folks, blast away - better ideas?)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rb.

Shelling out those kinds of bucks makes one leery but it's done now. I'm even having a contractor build a "temple" around the DLP and new furniture . . . This should be fun.

And for the HDVI connection, I'll figure something out. Worst case, I'll manually do it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have my 617W connected to the DVD (931) through DVI and my HD cable box through component 2. Since DVD's are not formatted in a native resolution for the TV, I figured they would 'need' the Faroudja conversion with an uncompromised digital feed. That was my logic, anyway. So far I'm very happy with the picture from both.

The only catch is when watching a non-anamorphic DVD. The TV automatically sets the aspect ratio, and the picture ends up compressed or just very small. My solution was to also connect my DVD player to component 3, which I only use on non-anamoorphic discs, which is rarely.

...Mike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.