AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Wow, that blows my mind. Is there anything written into the warranty that would suggest this? Is this true with all brands or just Samsung? I read daily about users going into their service menu with various sets made by a myriad of manufacturers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ridiculous huh? I haven't looked at the wording yet myself, but I recall someone quoting something like 'entering the service menu may void your warranty'...

Instead people should sit at home, I guess, for lord knows how long so that a service tech can come out there and see for himself what firmware version you have. Then the problem analysis can begin anew using the data (firmware version) that Samsung could have had days (or weeks?) ago. Not to mention the time wasted sitting home waiting for said tech who's coming for a needless and wasteful visit...

WTF?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well, to me it would be like the auto makers saying you will void the warranty if you pop the hood. Geeze. Ok, I can see some instances where they might take this stance, but it would be only cases where a user got into his/her service menu and screwed a bunch of stuff up and then wanted warranty repair to come make it right again. I think this should be applied situationally and not just make a blanket statement like they did to you. JMHO

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think this is a pretty standard answer from most manufacturers. If you don't know what you are doing in the SM you can really mess things up. The only things worse than a mad monkey is a mad monkey with a gun :).

Not to say that people who regularly browse this forum can't make their own SM updates -- many do -- but as a general policy manufacturers have to deal with the 99.9% of the rest of the population who might be mad monkeys.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If entering the SM to see what firmware rev. I've got makes me a mad monkey then I plead guilty. I touched nothing else and expect Samsung to change their tune... If they don't then I'll be raising the issue with CC...

I guess everyone who posted to the 'please post firmware revision' thread has now been voided... {tongue-in-cheek}

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
If entering the SM to see what firmware rev. I've got makes me a mad monkey then I plead guilty. I touched nothing else and expect Samsung to change their tune... If they don't then I'll be raising the issue with CC...

I guess everyone who posted to the 'please post firmware revision' thread has now been voided... {tongue-in-cheek}
I'm sure that Samsung (and the other mfgs) do this as a CYA escape from hte "mad monkeys". Please let us know what happens.

David

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:

Other forum members are only voided to the extent that they have admitted going into the SM to Samsung :D.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
"Don't ask" and you are all right unless you are a monkey.

For instance. You buy a HLN567 or HLN467. It turns out that it's one of the sets that got out with firmware 211 instead of 214. You don't have the discrete commands Samsung promised you.

Which call should you make?

1. My new HLN467/567 is firmware version 211. Please upgrade the firmware to version 214. :(

2. My new HLN467/567 is supposed to have discrete commands and it doesn't. Please fix it. :D

In choice #1 you may get lost in Samsung's caveats.

In choice #2 they send out a new video card with version 214, 302 or 306 on it and you have your discrete commands.

If you have one of the other HLN/HLM models, I've heard that Samsung replaces two cards under warranty if you complain about sync problems. One of those cards also contains the latest firmware. ;)

Try to stay ahead of the monkeys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
Other forum members are only voided to the extent that they have admitted going into the SM to Samsung :D.

Yup, that's true. And I thought of not mentioning it as well, but... The tech was aggravating me with his choreographed 'your set needs service' answer. Guess I've got a way of opening my mouth when such isn't necessary... :D

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Yup, that's true. And I thought of not mentioning it as well, but... The tech was aggravating me with his choreographed 'your set needs service' answer. Guess I've got a way of opening my mouth when such isn't necessary... :D
Be more "thoughtful" because there is always room in the "monkey camp". :D

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
I screwed up some stuff in the SM and now I can't go back in to fix it! >.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
I screwed up some stuff in the SM and now I can't go back in to fix it! >.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a similar problem with Samsung.

After a botched ISF where the ISF tech didn't write down the original SM settings, I foolishly called Samsung Service to request a copy of default settings. They immediately voided my warranty. After a lot of begging, they agreed to re-instate the warranty on the condition that I pay for a service call to check the set for any damage, and a promise that I would never access the SM again.

The moral to the story.... access the SM at your own risk and never indicate to Samsung that you have gone there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this monkey takes set back to CC very soon if warranty is voided.... Ummm, besides, I wonder what happens to my $599 CC extended warranty...? I'm not worried, truly, monkey or not (and I don't admit to being one, htwaits and BTDT). Was trying to report what appears to be a real PIP problem with the set and am tired of sitting through needless service visits when they're unnecessary.

I've no trouble with my set besides the PIP audio problem and didn't touch any SM settings. If Samsung chooses to make an example of me then off I go to another vendor...

Hey, which of you monkey chasers wants the big banana? :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
They can't magically void your warranty.

Search th internet for the Magnusson Moss Act. Then, call them back and ask for their address because you referred their claim to your State's Attorney General, (which you should do). That may rattle enough cages to get them to "re-instate" it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good advice Mike_pro, and I'm buying your point too, Mfusick. Truth is that while I really like the TV, there are a few things about it (mostly PIP) that aggravate me. I'm not afraid to pursue the matter further than I have to this juncture at all (and have in the past where warranted). I'm just hoping that Samsung will do the right thing of their own accord in the light of the reality of this situation. If they don't then I will call upon the CC warranty and point out that my set is broken (and the PIP *is* broken) and swap it out for a big Sony... Will definitely also refer the issue to the A.G. (as you pointed out Mike_pro), though I've learned in the past (with Chrysler) such pursuits are often fruitless...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.