Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading the brochure of sammy DLP on picture format size options,

there are 5 settings - zoom1, zoom2, wide, panorama, and normal format.

there's no 4:3 settings for sammy DLP?

TIA.

·
2,432 Posts
You would think that "normal" in the HDTV world would be 16X9.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info.

So the TV set itself automatically detects the incoming signals and displays on screen as 4:3 for SD and 16:9 for HD as you change channels?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know for HD, since I don't have it. But I'm inclined to think no...

My DVD player is set to 'wide', as is my Gamecube. My SDTV is set to 'normal'.

I'm guessing you'd have to use the aspect button.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Sammy properly displays 4:3 SD and 16:9 HDTV when viewing a Sony HD200 STB. Results depend upon the STB output format selected: 720p (STB doing all scaling) vs. Variable3 (480p for SD - TV doing scaling, 720p for HDTV).

There is one channel which I have to change the AR - ESPN-HD as they broadcast non-HD content in widescreen.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Feeding a 480p/720p signal from a Motorola 5100 Cable box and an Xbox, I have the Option of Normal (4:3) and Wide (16:9) on my Sammy for the HD component inputs (2 & 3). For 4:3 programming, Normal would show an unstretched picture, but HD broadcasts would be compressed horizontally. Similarly, Wide will show HD programs correctly, but 4:3 shows streched horizontally. Personally, I don't mind the horizontal stretch, and watch all TV and play Xbox games in 'Wide' mode, so I never have to switch it.

Panaroma & the Zoom modes are only available for 480i signals on S-Video, Composite, and RF (and I think the 480i component input).

The Sammy DLPs with current firmware will remember aspect ratio settings for a given input, but won't automatically detect and set a ratio.

Jeff - In your setup, it sounds like the Sony box is automatically window-boxing the 4:3 signals and outputting them as a 16:9. Could this be the case? If your Sammy DLP is usually set to Wide, that would be my guess on what's going on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lmychajluk
Feeding a 480p/720p signal from a Motorola 5100 Cable box and an Xbox, I have the Option of Normal (4:3) and Wide (16:9) on my Sammy for the HD component inputs (2 & 3). For 4:3 programming, Normal would show an unstretched picture, but HD broadcasts would be compressed horizontally. Similarly, Wide will show HD programs correctly, but 4:3 shows streched horizontally.
Try setting the 4:3 override of the Motorola 5100 to "OFF" instead of "480p." With that setting, I can leave my Samsung DLP set to wide, with the 4:3 & HD programming showing in their correct aspect ratios.

Jeff

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jedvik
Try setting the 4:3 override of the Motorola 5100 to "OFF" instead of "480p." With that setting, I can leave my Samsung DLP set to wide, with the 4:3 & HD programming showing in their correct aspect ratios.

Jeff
What component input are you on? I thought if 4:3 override was off, it would output them in 480i. Since no input can take 480i-1080i, that's no good. I thought I tried this on component 1, and things didn't work... I guess I'll try again.

·
Registered
916 Posts
^^^ That's what happens to me. If 480p Override isn't set, I get no picture for SD when connected to Component2 on the Sammy DLP, since it doesn't support a 480i signal. (I had to explain this to the Comcast guy when he started scratching his head when there was no picture on the TV).

·
Registered
345 Posts
On the 5100, if you set 4:3 override to "off", then it will work on componet 2 & 3. This is they way I have it set to allow OAR without touching the Monitor's aspect setting (leave the monitor on wide)

FYI, 4:3 override to "off" does not output 480i. with "off" I think the box upconverts 480i to the HD reolution (720 for mine), and it does a lousy job at that. Setting the 4:3 override to "480i" will force a 480i signal and this will not work on component 2 or 3.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_pro
What component input are you on? I thought if 4:3 override was off, it would output them in 480i. Since no input can take 480i-1080i, that's no good. I thought I tried this on component 1, and things didn't work... I guess I'll try again.
I'm using component 3. Having the 4:3 override to OFF seems to work best for me.

Jeff

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think it relates to this thread, so here goes. I have a Sony DVP-NS400D DVD Player (not progressive scan capable) connected to the 480I Component 1 input of my HLN-4365W, Vs 302. I put in "Romancing the Stone" tonight 2.35:1 version, but it does not say it has been enhanced for wide-screen TVs. If I have the set in Normal mode, it displays it in the 4:3 window correct proportions (letter boxed). If I set the DLP to Wide everything is stretched. I had to watch it in Zoom1 mode to get the correct proportions. This then had black bars on the top & bottom. Is this the correct way to watch such a DVD and would this work more intuitively with a DVI connection? It does not matter what mode I put the DVD player in. "4X3 Pan & Scan", "4X3" or "16X9", they all looked the same.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lmychajluk
^^^ That's what happens to me. If 480p Override isn't set, I get no picture for SD when connected to Component2 on the Sammy DLP, since it doesn't support a 480i signal. (I had to explain this to the Comcast guy when he started scratching his head when there was no picture on the TV).
I stand corrected. I thought the only 2 options were 480i/480p, and that 'Off' refered to 480i. It seems like Off does display in OAR as stated above, and works on 480p inputs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.