AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question could be posted in the Hardware Section, but I wanted the attention of you Sammy DLP users who also have the Moto5100.


I currently have Directv non-HiDef, but have decided to take advantage of Comcast's quite generous offer of two free months of HDTV (plus discount pricing for the balance of my first year if I choose to keep it). From what I've read on the other forums, I expect that the installer will use a Motorola5100 STB tomorrow.


My question is this: Since the Sammy DLP doesn't do 480i -> 1080i in any one input, how are those of you with this display and STB hooking up your video? I will be running video direct to the Sammy, since my pre-historic (i.e., 1998) Yamaha doesn't have component video switching anyway.


If you use two connections (component and S-video, for example), are you able to get on-screen displays for both? If you require the STB to upconvert everything to 1080i first, then the Sammy doesn't let you stretch 4:3 content, does it? I've gotten to where I like my 4:3 content in panoramic mode.


My equipment rack is very tight and making connections is tedious work. For every new connection I reach behind the receiver to add, it seems like two or three others are pulled out. Therefore, I intend to have component video and digital optical cables pre-connected to my components, but I understand there's a chance the STB has a DVI out, so we'll see. Does the 5100 now offer a DVI out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhstn58


My question is this: Since the Sammy DLP doesn't do 480i -> 1080i in any one input, how are those of you with this display and STB hooking up your video? I will be running video direct to the Sammy, since my pre-historic (i.e., 1998) Yamaha doesn't have component video switching anyway.
I'm only using a component video connection.

Quote:


If you use two connections (component and S-video, for example), are you able to get on-screen displays for both? If you require the STB to upconvert everything to 1080i first, then the Sammy doesn't let you stretch 4:3 content, does it? I've gotten to where I like my 4:3 content in panoramic mode.
There's another thread on this (you'll have to search for it) but the installer said there was a setup screen coming out on 480i but it could be changed to 480p. Once that is done, you don't need to worry about the 480i any more.


I have it set to ouput 720p.


I believe someone said that you can use the video output so then you can get your panoramic 4:3, but you won't get that with the component output. Or you can use a split on the cable; I'm tempted to do that because I heard the PQ is better.

Quote:


Therefore, I intend to have component video and digital optical cables pre-connected to my components, but I understand there's a chance the STB has a DVI out, so we'll see. Does the 5100 now offer a DVI out?
The DVI out is an option from Motorola, and I haven't heard of anyone that has it. I don't. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I connect the cable directly to the Sammy and then the cable out from the TV into the 5100. This allows me to view the analogue channels with the TVs tuner and the picture is much better that way for those channels. I have the 5100 connected to the TV with component cables. There are two setup options on the 5100 which help with how you can manage the 4:3 and HD content. The first option is to set the output to 720p or 1080i. There has been many a discussion as to which is the better option here, but I can't seem to tell the difference. I currently have mine set to 720p because its the natural resolution for the Sammy. The second option is the 4:3 override. Your options are 480i, 480p or off. You can't set this option to 480i because the HD component in will not support 480i signals. If you set it to off then all non-HD conent will come in at 720p or 1080i with no aspect changes allowed. Your best option is to set it to 480p and still have the ability to switch from normal to wide aspect ratio for 4:3 material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I want to minimize the interconnects, I can output from the 5100 at 480p through the component outs. Since the Sammy will let me set the screen to "wide" (my preference - panoramic - is not available through the components), do I eleiminate the black bars output by the 5100, or are the black bars part of the "picture" the Sammy sees?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhstn58
So if I want to minimize the interconnects, I can output from the 5100 at 480p through the component outs. Since the Sammy will let me set the screen to "wide" (my preference - panoramic - is not available through the components), do I eleiminate the black bars output by the 5100, or are the black bars part of the "picture" the Sammy sees?
Yes, the black bars will be eliminated on regular 4:3 material by using wide mode. As you stated its not as nice as panorama. Some people also us an S-video connection from the 5100 to view analogue and non HD digital cable channels (but another connection). This would allow for all the apsect ratios. There are alot of different ways to go and if you like to use PIP alot then that needs to be taken into consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It's late, I can't fit my additional cables in the tiny little holes I have in my shelves to make new connections (the existing holds are packed tighter than can be). Tomorrow the tech guy shows up at noon to connect. The rear of my receiver looks like a jar of spaghetti and of course the only available digital connections are located at the bottom of this incredibly ridiculous string of confetti (am I the only one whose hardware setup is absolutely STUPID?????!) I'm rambling, I know, but I have been working on trying to "pre-wire" for the new STB, hoping that it will be as perfect as it can be, but the light is finally on that I will let the new cables lay across my existing equipment stack and I will fix it later, at some time when I can deal with the stress of getting it all done correctly. I must hire an expert to come in and FIX IT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Can I add another component into the connection issue?


I also have a standalone TiVo. How are you connecting that into to 5100 and Sammy?


Thanks,

Jeff


BTW - I get my 5100 tomorrow morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the Tivo will not record in hi-def, you could split the cable connection and run a parallel connection directly to the Tivo, then connect your Tivo to the TV via any available method. You should be able to see at least the analog channels that way.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top