Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my third HLP5063W.

My first one was a April build with a lot of problems. TVA replaced without any problems.

Second one was buld in June and had the dreaded 3 blinking lights. TVA Relaced it without any problems.

The third one was build in August and has worked well, but I thought that the color wheel sounded a little louder than the first two.

The Samsung rep came out to replace the color wheel Friday, 10/15, and while he was working, I read the service bulletin that came with the new part.

It said that the early models had "Air Bearings" whereas the later models had "FDB" bearings. The service tech said that FDB stood for "Fluid Dynamic Bearing".

The service bulletin went on to say that even though the late production models had FDB's, all service replaced CW's would be Air Bearings.

The tech could not answer why they changed bearing types or why if they changed, why they were putting in the old style.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the bearing types and which one is better?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The type of bearing really shouldn't matter much since the actual color wheel and motor are relatively small. A well-designed color wheel should provide years of service before a problem develops.

All things being equal (and they rarely are), an air bearing can be superior, but any design can be cost-reduced, and eventually there will be problems.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow and LG touts their "air bearing"as better.I guess Samsung knows something they don't.

It makes sense to me ,I remember AR used a dampening fluid in their tweeters to dissipate heat,and it worked we had a lot less burned out tweeters after they began using it.

It must lubricate and dissipate heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.