AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might like a visual of the results from calibrating the Delay setting on a DLP set.

My set is a v214 HLN467W

Here's the CIE chart measured at the default setting of 222, the dark triangle underneath is the NTSC standard and the white triangle over the top is the measured output......it was measured using DVE patterns over a 931 to the DVI input, it's actually not bad OOTB.

http://www.vtboatworks.com/HLN467WDVI222.jpg

·
Registered
845 Posts
How did your eyes perceive the difference, in relation to the rather sizable change on the chart? (was there a noticeable change on screen)

I have experienced phenomena such as the "solarization problem" from improper timing. It's funny, kind of like timing your car, as soon as one thing starts improving you start losing something else.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
How did your eyes perceive the difference, in relation to the rather sizable change on the chart? (was there a noticeable change on screen)

I have experienced phenomena such as the "solarization problem" from improper timing. It's funny, kind of like timing your car, as soon as one thing starts improving you start losing something else.
I certainly noticed the color of red changing while I adjusted the delay but as far as regular viewing goes I didn't notice a discernible difference with just the timing change.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know this is highly subjective, but how did you notice the color change? Did it appear "more red", brighter, deeper color. I'm wondering how a novice could best adjust/evaluate this without any hardware more sophicticated than eyeballs, DVE, and maybe the color filters

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think therein lies the issue, Mike. If I had the cash I'd invest in the ColorFacts.

When I adjust the delay on my own using the red chart from VE, going from the default of 223 to the 210-range yieled a much oranger red. So I balanced the delay in between two color shifts both above and below 223 and settled on 220.

As SuperToyz pointed out to me in a different thread, he saw the same thing, but the numbers don't lie, and 211 yielded 255,0,0 for him, but the "deeper red" yielded less accurate results.

Our eyes lie, evidently, but unless we get the proper equipment we really have nothing else to rely on.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.