AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else that has either size of the Sammy DLP notice that on some programs the picture tends to take on an "animated" appearance?

It is hard to explain, but when I watch "24" on Fox, through my Hughes HD STB through component 2, I notice that the picture has an almost "painted" appearance to it. It is especially noticeable on closeups of peoples faces. Seems to appear more when the picture lighting is somewhat dim.

Is there a name for this phenomenon? Has anyone else noticed this, or should I just put down the crackpipe?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Any HD from fox(and I use that term lightly for fox since they broadcast a 480P signal) looks like crap, I will snap a picture of what 24 looks like on my set tonite after my room Darkens a little. Then you can compare if you have a problem.

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not receiving the OTA HD signal from Fox, just the SD signal from DirecTV. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There seems to be several references to 24 today being viewed on 437/507s. My 437 arrived yesterday and I was amazing myself all day/evening long with Dish 6000 feeds of HBO, Showtime, their HD demo channel, local DTV, and DVDs. When 24 came on I tuned to it and was also disappointed. I did not dwell on it though so I don't know why it looked bad to me. I instead put some Hi-8 video I shot last year in the desert at Joshua Tree NP and I couldn't believe how nice it looked.

Ray

·
Registered
188 Posts
I find that 24 looks really bad too--it did on DVD as well so I think it might have something to do with the way they're handling it in post production. Greenish tints, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In the "Service Menu Tweaks" thread, I commented that my 437w (arrived yesterday, no SM tweaks yet) makes some faces look like clay. This was initially pointed out to me by my 8 year old son, who said during Star Wars Ep. I (dvd progressive) that sometimes the characters looked "like cartoons". I asked him to elaborate, and he said they sometimes looked like their faces were made of clay.

On DVD, try chapter 3 of Shrek. When the donkey is outside of Shrek's hut looking in through the window, the entire donkey shows this effect (at least it does on my set).

Apparently this is not a new phenomenon. According to Kenland, this issue should be fixable through the recommended SM tweaks. I intend to finish my burn in period and try the SM tweaks.

Matt

·
Registered
143 Posts
although I don't have the set...I have been following the posts and noticed a common reference to 24 as well. Could it be the source? I have heard somewhere that on EPII of star wars there are some strange artifacts in the dark to blacks that are inherent to the original equipment the movie was shot on. Could something similar be happening with the show 24, and the Sammy DLP's ability to display the shortcomings?

Is this a feasible theory?

Is it the 437 and 507's characteristic to capitalize on the shortcomings of the source that is to say?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like it might be the Fox feed and how it is diplayed with the DLP technology. Mgold, you hit it on the head with the description of faces looking like clay.

It doesn't bother me too much, but I was wondering if it was only me. I will attempt the SM tweaks at some point, but not before I complete a sufficient burn in period.

On a separate note klick, I PM'd you regarding the service call you had from Samsung. If you get a minute, would you mind responding to me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on 24 in the Suggested Tweaks thread. I am really interested in NTSC cable, satellite, and OTA performance of everyone's set. A lot of the posts are about DVD and HD. I have no problems with those, but cable stinks! Actually, some stations come in great. I have yet to see a bad shopping channel, but TNN, ESPN, local affiliates, and basically anything I like is sub-par.

So if anyone has tweaks that are particularly good for "regular old TV", I would like to try them.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mgold1999
In the "Service Menu Tweaks" thread, I commented that my 437w (arrived yesterday, no SM tweaks yet) makes some faces look like clay. This was initially pointed out to me by my 8 year old son, who said during Star Wars Ep. I (dvd progressive) that sometimes the characters looked "like cartoons". I asked him to elaborate, and he said they sometimes looked like their faces were made of clay.

On DVD, try chapter 3 of Shrek. When the donkey is outside of Shrek's hut looking in through the window, the entire donkey shows this effect (at least it does on my set).

Apparently this is not a new phenomenon. According to Kenland, this issue should be fixable through the recommended SM tweaks. I intend to finish my burn in period and try the SM tweaks.

Matt
mgold,

I strongly suggest that you do the SM tweaks as soon as possible. I did all the recommended tweaks and the s-video picture did not improve at all. I would not count on the tweaks fixing the picture and would hate for you to wait too long and not be able to return your set.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Here is a picture of "24" on Component 2 via my HTPC via a HiPix HDTV card, the tweaks from CF were applied with some minor adjustments to reduce red. Notice how grainy the Fox signal looks.

Jim

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Odd note for what it's worth.

I just got my 507W last night and ran through the cable (analog) chanels without any adjustments other than switching from Dynamic to Standard. Picture quality was all in all pretty good. Some cable channels were "fair/poor", but mostly stuff like TVLand, Game Show Network and local access. The majority of cable looked "OK" - pretty much what you would expect from SD blown up big. The broadcast nets looked "good" overall. With one exception.

Fox (I belive it was Fastlane) looked horrible. Gross color distortion/exageration. Last time I say color like that was when I was a teenager trying to watch Showtime on a TV that kinda/sorta got it in despite scrambling. I assumed it was a problem with my cable. I'll keep an eye on it. The only other channel that was even close to being that bad was OLN, which had similar color issues but not as exagerated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
mgold,

I strongly suggest that you do the SM tweaks as soon as possible. I did all the recommended tweaks and the s-video picture did not improve at all. I would not count on the tweaks fixing the picture and would hate for you to wait too long and not be able to return your set.
GScott:

I have nothing connected via s-video. Last night I made rudimentary SM changes (eliminating the black enhancement and some others, but no changes to R-G-B settings). Black detail was remarkably better on dvd-progressive, and the clay-like issue appeared to be reduced by about 75%, and is now visible on only a select few scenes. I hope that through this forum I may be able to "dial out" some of the remaining issues.

I also made the changes to my analog cable settings thru the rf input. Early this morning, my cable picture on HSN (wish it was ESPN) was nearly perfect. Other channels were worse in varying degrees, much like with my old 32" CRT. At least I feel that I know what this set is capable of for analog cable.

Still no rainbows. Very minimal color banding. No dead pixels. Don't care about pincushioning. Never noticed any internal reflections. But the damn noise (whir/buzz/whine) is still a concern.

I have about 35 hours on the bulb. I'll give it to about 100 and re-evaluate, all within the 30 day return period. My component cables are still breaking in as well.

Thanks for your concern and your reply.

Matt

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mgold1999
GScott:

I have about 35 hours on the bulb. I'll give it to about 100 and re-evaluate, all within the 30 day return period. My component cables are still breaking in as well.

Matt
It's been about 15 days since you set out to tweak your TV. How did you make out? Any solution for the "noise" or "clay faces"?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I now have 100+ hours on the bulb, and about 20 hours on the component cables (BetterCables Reference Silver Serpent). I still have only DVD-Progressive (EAD TheatervisionP) and analog cable (RF) hooked up. I've done all the recommended SM tweaks other than for R/G/B color, after trial and error using settings posted by PhilB, Supertoyz and Tom Roper. Last night I adjusted color using Avia and User Menu adjustments only.

The "clay face" issue seems reduced by about 85-90%. I rarely see it, and even on the most offensive scenes it appears more like a slightly uneven gray rather than "clay". If this is the best I'll get, I'm happy.

The noise is still somewhat of an issue. My set is in a large room with the set on one end and the kitchen about 25 feet away on the other end. When the room is totally quiet, and I'm about 8-9 feet from the set, I hear the buzz like a noisy hard drive. Not loud, but it's there. When the audio is on, or the refrigerator compressor is on, I can't hear a thing. Because I like the set so much, I don't know if I'm willing to risk the PQ to have the light engine replaced (see the "buzz" thread). My set is in a wall unit. I've ordered 4" thick Tecnifoam to surround the set in the unit, and a maple frame is being constructed to surround the front of the set. I hope this reduces the noise even more.

Overall, if these are my only issues, I'm happy.

Matt

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
It's been about 15 days since you set out to tweak your TV. How did you make out? Any solution for the "noise" or "clay faces"?
Les,

I could not get a satisfactory picture with any of the suggested tweaks. My biggest problem is the "uneven colors" especially in dark scenes. Flesh tones in dark scenes are really bad. Add to this the fact that I see rainbows everywhere and my final decision was easy. I'm returning my set in favor of a CRT based RPTV. The form factor of the Samsung was nice but IMHO the TV was not worth $3k. I think the whole burn-in issue is overrated and that was the only real advantage for me on the digital sets. I have owned a CRT RPTV and front projector for years and never had any burn-in issues. I'm not saying it doesn't happen just that with proper calibration it wasn't an issue for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.