AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been addressed... I did search and read for nearly 2 hrs.

I was in on the original Sammy DLP powerbuy and finally received my upgrade late last week. Well I immediately noticed a problem with the HD picture. It is as if the set is processing the HD pic on the fly and will adjust the sharpness (?) at frequent intervals. The more the HD picture changes, such as when the camera pans, the more often this is seen, as in once every second or so. It is very noticable and distracting. I turned off DNIe and digital NR which didn't make a difference. Has this been encountered by others? Is there a fix? I have never fiddled with the SM settings. I'm running digital cable thru component 3. The prob occurs on all HD channels, worse with some content than others but always there to some extent. No prob with standard def (improved, actually) or with DVD. Please someone help... I want my old board back.

Thanks,

Jacky

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyBaker
What kind of HD box are you using? What do you have it set to output for HD? (720p or 1080i?)
Hi, and thanks for your reply. I have the Motorola DCT6200 supplied by my cable company. The HD output is set at 1080i. I toggled to 720p without improvement.

I'll try to better discribe what is going on. Solid colors first appear somewhat pixilated then suddenly sharpen after a split second. As the scene changes or the camera pans the process is repeated. Highly detailed scenes also show this effect, especially geometric patterns such as a brick wall, plowed field, or chain link fence. Leaves on a tree are especially bad. The image is good, but suddenly becomes sharper after a split second. I just watched a scene where a guy was looking out a window on a home with a brick wall. As the shot slowly zoomed in on him the bricks would ever so slightly blur, then suddenly sharpen, blur, sharpen etc. with each step taking maybe 3/4 of a second. Very annoying. Unwatchable, even.

This happened after the board swap. I had no such problems prior to that.

Thanks,

Lawrence

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a similar problem with my TV. HD looks great but SD has the focusing issue. Blurry, sharp, blurry, sharp.

I had Samsung send a technician out to look at it. The technician determined it was the source (direct TV), because the problem wasn't present on DVD.

I am using a Zenith Sat520 Direct TV box and Samung HLM507W through the DVI port. It is really noticeable in CNN. I'm guessing this is due to signal compression on Direct TV (Sat A). Direct TV uses a different satellite for HD material, so that maybe why I am not noticing it on my HD channels.

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
This almost seems like a 2:3 pulldown issue. Do you have Film Mode on?
Custom mode. Effect is present in standard mode and dynamic mode as well.

Johnduce, funny that mine is just the opposite... Ok with SD signals, blur-sharp-blur-sharp with HD signal. I also suspect it is a signal *related* problem because it is definetly worse on some programs than others. The aggravating thing is that it happened after my so-called "upgrade":mad:.

I participate in a message board of local HD viewers who have the same HD box and cable subscription that I have and nobody else is experiencing this problem. I am the only one with the Sammy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I experience the same blur-sharp-blur-sharp with my new HLN507 when I view analog cable signals (I don't have digital cable). I have not looked closely to see if I can notice it from DVD->component input or from OTA SD or HD channels. It is clear to me that it is an artifact of whatever noise reduction is going on which utilizes the correlation between successive frames. The picture sharpens a split second only after motion stops. I can mitigate the effect by reducing the sharpness.

I accept this artifact in return for the very pleasant picture I get from my analog cable. I also presume that this artifact has nothing particular to do with DLP technology, so I am inclined to keep my 507 (in fact, I'm inclined to upgrade to a 617). Is this true?

BTW, I have looked at some OTA SD and HD programs and find that, for most of my analog cable channels, the picture quality is almost as good as OTA SD, some just as good. When VOOM offers their home networked reciever/recorder I will sign up. I expect that will be in about 6 months.

Prfssr

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I also have the blur-sharp-blur-sharp problem, but only on 2 of the HD channels that I can receive, and not to my surprise, it occurs on channels with subchannels. Maybe it is a bandwidth issue?

Jim

PS: I just don't watch those channels :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackytar
I was in on the original Sammy DLP powerbuy and finally received my upgrade late last week. Well I immediately
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is a power buy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jwilock
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is a power buy?
A group of people purchasing an item to get a volume discount.

The Sammy was one of the best deals I ever got!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by prfssr
... When VOOM offers their home networked reciever/recorder I will sign up. I expect that will be in about 6 months.
You shouldn't get your hopes up too much. I heard that we're too far west here to see the VOOM satellite.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Custom mode. Effect is present in standard mode and dynamic mode as well.
Film Mode is something different from settings such as contrast, brightness, etc. - it's independent of Custom, Dynamic, etc. Take a quick look at your menu settings. I can't say for sure that's the problem, but check it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Film Mode is something different from settings such as contrast, brightness, etc. - it's independent of Custom, Dynamic, etc. Take a quick look at your menu settings. I can't say for sure that's the problem, but check it out.
Film mode is off. In fact, I can't turn it on... it is greyed out on the menu. I thought this had to do with the standard/dynamic/custom/movie mode toggle but film mode does not become available whith either selection.:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
A group of people purchasing an item to get a volume discount.

The Sammy was one of the best deals I ever got!
Interesting ... but how does it work? Who initiates one? HOw does anyone find out about one? Etc.?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jwilock
Interesting ... but how does it work? Who initiates one? HOw does anyone find out about one? Etc.?
Look in the Special Forums Area off of the main directoy.

I'm a newbie too, a sheep not a shepard. The Sammy was the only PB I participated in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Film mode is off. In fact, I can't turn it on... it is greyed out on the menu. I thought this had to do with the standard/dynamic/custom/movie mode toggle but film mode does not become available whith either selection.:confused:
Sincere apologies. In a bout of uncharacteristic stupidity, I forgot a detail: Film Mode is only supported at 480i. Oy!! :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just as a follow-up... the problem seems to be intermittant and has abated somewhat without any intervention on my part. Perhaps a combination of signal and processing of that signal :confused:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.