Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been evaluating monitors, and I think I have it narrowed down to the 50" Sammy DLP and the PT50LC13. The picture quality of those two sets seem so similar that I really think I could be happy with either. But the DLP is $1000 more. The DLP supposedly up-converts everything to 720p. The PT50 doesn't. But a Samsung HD931 DVD player appears to do the same thing, for just $285.

(I should say that my main goal is to maximize the quality of DVD playback. I don't currently have access to HD programming, so my viewing will be limited to SD cable programming and DVDs.)

So, is there any reason to believe the DLP's in-set conversion is better than the DVD player's? And would there be any advantage to using the 931 _with_ the Sammy DLP, or would any progressive player do just as well?

Thanks.

Richard

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
The DLP supposedly up-converts everything to 720p. The PT50 doesn't.
Where on earth did you get the information that the Panasonic doesn't?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rapp
The DLP supposedly up-converts everything to 720p. The PT50 doesn't.
Of course it does, it has to! The PT50 is a 1280x720 display, just like the DLP panel. Both sets need to convert anything that's not 720P *to* 720P

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I own the Sammy DLP but I've seen the Panasonic LCD. If you're not going the H-Def route, or are on a budget with SD cable and DVD, I'd recommend you save some coin and get the Panny LCD, which looks very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Where on earth did you get the information that the Panasonic doesn't?
*sheepish grin*

From the salesperson at Best Buy.

And since I had previously been considering _ED_ plasmas, I didn't stop to think about what the fact that I was now looking at two _HD_ sets meant in terms of actual resolution.

So, now that I realize I'm comparing apples to apples, things really seem to swing in favor of the Panasonic.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
rapp,

If a major part of your viewing is SD cable, I'd highly recommend that you compare the two sets with that type of signal.

I compared the two with DirectTV on a SD channel. I'm sure it was a digital channel SD and not like analog SD that you have on a lot of your cable channels. It was clear to me that the Panny looked sharper. I went into the Samsung's menu and tried to find something that would make the two sets closer in sharpness, but was unable to find anything. So from my experience, I thought the Panny looked better than the Sammy on SD and almost as good on HD. My only issue with the Panny is that the sets I saw in 2 stores had some color issues that I couldn't resolve, but this may have been an early production lot.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
It didn't look sharper to me, but it did look less expensive and very nice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may be getting off-topic for this forum, but is there any advantage to using a HD931 DVD player vs any other progressive player if you're feeding the signal into an HD set? Is the 931's advantage just that its scaling/deinterlacing/whatever circuitry may be higher quality than a given set's internal circuitry?

·
Registered
538 Posts
The advantage is the DVI connection and the all-digital path that it can provide. Most people have noticed a decent picture quality improvement with DVI. It depends on your TV though. I would think you would notice with either the Panny or the Sammy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.