AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many folks that own the Sammy 437 & 507 have seen rainbows in addition to eye fatigue? It does seem plausible with the color wheel design.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've seen rainbows very infrequently, not enough to bother me. I've not had any eye fatigue, even after 6 hours of continuous watching in a completely dark room.

-phil

·
Registered
696 Posts
I didn't see rainbows with mine but on occasion would notice eye fatigue and headache regardless of the lighting in the room.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I watched my tv over the long holiday weekend and watched 5 dvd's..it was great!... the only fatigue I had was staying up so late each nite the next moring...

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Almost 3 months now...I see rainbows, no eye fatigue, no headaches.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A little off topic, but I've had a Panasonic DLP for almost 2 years, and I've seen rainbows maybe 3 or 4 times. I did notice some eye fatigue at first watching in a dark room, but a back light cured that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
good point acourvil.I was having some fatigue on my little 27 inch tube. Added some subtle backlighting and fatigue no more!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just receive my 437 yesterday. I watched it from noon till 11pm. I think I may have seen a rainbow or two but not while actually watching the set. I was looking at the manual and I may have seen the effect out of the side of my eye. Never while actually viewing. I had no eye strain.

Ray

·
Registered
81 Posts
it seems most people catch the rainbow effect when looking away from the TV and then back at it, kinda like what happens when doing one of those magic eye pictures. It seems like you can catch a rainbow when your eyes are not properly focusing on the picture, although I imagine subtle black lighting would fix that too :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
I can see rainbows primarily when there is a small portion of the screen with a light image and the rest mostly dark. If I look away and then back, or dart my eyes back and forth, the 'rainbow effect' clearly visible. It doesn't really bother me, though, and is almost never apparent during 'regular' viewing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you haven't seen rainbows on this set, and don't want to, stop reading now...

**Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you read on and watch the scene I point out, and don't like the results***

I'm evaluating this set, and tonight I watched Attack of the Clones. About midway through the movie I started seeing the rainbow effect (never saw it before, but knew immediately what it was), and near the end of the movie there was a scene that showed the effect despite my best efforts not to see it.

Scene 47, after the Count gets off his ship and meets Darth Sidious, there is a scene where he and Sidious start walking together (Sidious says 'You have done well'). There is a light source behind the head of the Count. If you don't see a separation of colors looking from the Count to Sidious, be happy. In this mostly dark scene, my eyes naturally follow the conversation from man to man and the light source in the scene amplifies the effect.

To me, the distracting part isn't the actual sight of the color separation, it's the second after where my brain says 'wtf was that'. Perhaps this goes away with time.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ponziani
To me, the distracting part isn't the actual sight of the color separation, it's the second after where my brain says 'wtf was that'. Perhaps this goes away with time.
That's exactly what my brain said, too! :D :D

And, it describes the "rainbows" experience very well, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ponziani
I'm evaluating this set, and tonight I watched Attack of the Clones. About midway through the movie I started seeing the rainbow effect (
Have the service and user menu tweaks been applied to the set yet? I found the rainbows to be much less obvious on my tweaked machine than on the same model which had not been tweaked using the same source for both.

-phil

·
Registered
183 Posts
No rainbows (even on SWII dvd last night). No eye fatigue. About 75 hours on my 437w (dvd and analog cable). Family of 4 non-videophile viewers. Had a friend over recently who frequently suffers from migraines. She experienced no problems after about 2 hours of dvd watching. I've employed all SM tweaks except color adjustments. Love the set more each day.

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had 437W for about 6 weeks. No rainbows, though I am admitted novice in detecting them. Definitely no eye fatigue. DVD on component input, TV is straight cable.

Phil

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you do a search for HRPULL on this forum you'll find my rainbow experience.

Rainbows are real for some people. My wife and I are statistically odd since we both saw them all the time. One article reference on this forum stated that with the new technology color wheels only 1% or so of the population should be bothered. Having read this before buying the 507 I wasn't concerned. I guess I must be neurotic or something since I took the set back after 4 weeks of trying to live with them. My wife saw the rainbow before I told her about it - so I don't think I taught here to see them. She asked me about the flash and I explained the rainbow effect. The problem got worse over time for both of us.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.