AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum looking for advice. Buying 2 new sets 1 42" and 1 50/55. My challenge is the sets will be located in very bright rooms, so I am concerned about reflection, brightness and viewing angles. I have am looking at the new Sammys (HLRXXX8) and the new Grand Wegas (KDFXXa10/20). Sammy's picture looks too white and too black, the picture looked phony. The sony picture looked great, but I am concerned with the 3 lcds (R,G,B) and long term focus issues like the old rear projection units.

Any advice or other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
The problem is that most stores do not have the TVs calibrated well, and provide poor feeds, so you really should look at them in a few stores before deciding which you prefer. After that, go with whichever looks best to you. They are both excellent sets.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
had the sammy hl-r4667 and returned it, too many problems. Have the Sony KDF-E50A10 and am loving it. PQ is amazing

·
Registered
63 Posts
One of the advantages of LCOS displays (e.g. JVC D-ILA) is very high light output that makes them tough to beat in very bright rooms. Might be something to consider for your situation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Actually, I am more concerned about the longevity of DLP. Hope someone can comment on this. To me, LCDs are more solid state, while there are more mechanical parts in DLPs - especially, the 10,000 rpm color wheel. I reckon that the mechanical parts are usually the first to fail (apart from the bulb); for example the hard disk and the cooling fan in our PC are more likely to fail than our LCD monitor.

When they eventually implement 3xDLP and do away with the color wheel just like digital theatres, then it would on equal terms with LCDs (in terms of solid state : mechanical parts).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalak
Actually, I am more concerned about the longevity of DLP. Hope someone can comment on this. To me, LCDs are more solid state, while there are more mechanical parts in DLPs - especially, the 10,000 rpm color wheel. I reckon that the mechanical parts are usually the first to fail (apart from the bulb); for example the hard disk and the cooling fan in our PC are more likely to fail than our LCD monitor.

When they eventually implement 3xDLP and do away with the color wheel just like digital theatres, then it would on equal terms with LCDs (in terms of solid state : mechanical parts).

There is not much serious debate that on average the LCD RPTV's - or any other type of microdisplay will prove more reliable than a DLP, but some people even knowing this like DLP's and will buy them figuring even if they only last 3 to 5 years, the way microtechnology is advancing, they'll be upgrading by then anyway. If durability and reliability is your major concern you should stick with CRT's:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarguy
New to the forum looking for advice. Buying 2 new sets 1 42" and 1 50/55. My challenge is the sets will be located in very bright rooms, so I am concerned about reflection, brightness and viewing angles. I have am looking at the new Sammys (HLRXXX8) and the new Grand Wegas (KDFXXa10/20). Sammy's picture looks too white and too black, the picture looked phony. The sony picture looked great, but I am concerned with the 3 lcds (R,G,B) and long term focus issues like the old rear projection units.

Any advice or other suggestions?
It sounds like you answered your own question. If the picture looked bad to you on the Sammmy and good on the Sony the choice is obvious.

For what it is worth I also had a Sammy and had tons of problems with it over the 9 months that I had it. I returned it and am getting the A10 Sony.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The old rear projection TVs had 3 electron guns that had to be in sync to maintain a sharp picture. The sweeping of each electron trace was controlled my analog methods and over time, the aging would impact the performance of these analog circuits and the guns would get out-of-sync creating color & focus issues.

3-panel LCD projectors are aligned at the factory and shouldn't get out of focus unless something physically alters the factory alignment (drop the projector, etc). A primary concern people have with the 3-panel LCD approach is bad pixels. Some manufacturers of LCD monitors even consider a few bad pixels as acceptable (not a valid reason to return it). DLP mirrors, however, have been proven to be extremely reliable - a bad pixel is very rare.

See http://dlp.com/dlp_technology/images...lity_paper.pdf .

Some people don't want the 3XLCD risk of a white dot always on their TV screen that can't be remedied with an extended warranty claim so they avoid LCD solutions.

Maybe you should just get one of each for 30 days and then swap out the one you don't like!

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.