AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Guys...Going to buy the HLN61... Now to buy the rest of the gear to go with it... I'm trying to go for the minimalist approach with the gear so that I get a "buy in" from my better half. I am looking at a Sony ES combination receiver/ DVD unit... The DVD output 480p and the Sammy will do the scaling with its internals... Have been reading posts that DVD quality is not the greatest from 480p component output. Is this true?

Will I be dissappointed in DVD 480p component on the 61? That large of a screen will magnify any problems...

I know samsung makes a DVD with DVI out... but is that worth it??? The set only has one DVI input and I am "saving" that for DVI Dish PVR coming out this fall. I suppose I could get a switch for both DVI's into the one input. Your inputs would be appreciated.

Shouldn't the Sammy take care of any of the 480p component DVD inputs and do its "magic" to make it pseudo HD? Can it really be as described by those on the forum.....

Which way to go on this issue...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would go component for D* and save the DVI for DVD. This will keep you in pure digital domain for DVD. You will not notice much if any difference in PQ with D* via DVI verse a good set of component cables . As for a DVI switch...we are still waiting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the component for HD Dish??? I want the HD to take the priority "DVI" input which means that the Dish PVR will get that otherwise no HD... Please set me straight...

Why not 480p w/ component cables and let the Sammy 617 take care of the rest... or... does the Samsung DVD with DVI make that much of a difference... Maybe I need an education... - - don't we all.

Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have D* with the HD pkg running on a Sony HD200. I have also compared the same service via the Sammy HD D* receiver . After much comparing back and forth btwn component and DVI I have found no advantage in PQ on my Sony via a good set of component cables verse DVI. On the Sammy there was a slight advantage to PQ via DVI verse component. Overall however the Sammy via DVI still did not surpass the PQ of the Sony via component. Just to note I use BetterCables component cables and compared this to the DVI via BetterCables dual link DVI cable. This leaves the DVI open to use for a DVI DVD player such as the Sammy or Bravo. DVI will allow you to use the player in 720p or 1080i thus giving the better PQ. The best you can do on DVD via component is 480p. No worries as you will still be getting all the HD glory from your Sat via component and still have the best of both worlds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.