AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have been reading posts on this site for over a year and they have been an immense help. With that said, I am now ready to finally buy my first DLP. I have narrowed it down to between the Samsung HL-P5063W and the Mitsubishi WD-52525. I would appreciate any opinions / recommendations on these two DLP's and everyone's pros and cons of the two sets.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

· Registered
16,443 Posts
With this post, people who bought a Mits will tell you to buy a Mits, and people who bought a Sammy will tell you to buy a Sammy. You really need to take a look at them both and decide which looks best to your eyes (nobody else can tell you which you will like best). Some have complained about the glare of the Mits screen, so make sure you take a look at it, and make sure that will not be a problem in your viewing room. Otherwise, they are both excellent sets.

· Registered
221 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either set. I got the Sammy 5 weeks ago and am very happy with it. Price was a big motivator for me. I got my 5063 over the Labor Day weekend when Best Buy was having a sale on the Sammy. At the time, the sets were nearly $800 apart in price. The pictures are different due to the DMD (HD2+ vs. HD3) so you must go watch them and decide for yourself which you prefer. There are a bazillion threads here about these two sets and you will drive yourself nuts reading them all and may end up not buying any TV. But in the end, you are the one who is going to be watching it, so it simply doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Sammy Pros:

-Lightweight

-Low Price

-Bright picture with very good viewing angle

-The HD3 chips give a smoother picture with less screen door effect

-2 digital inputs

-More computer friendly (easier to get resolutions w 1-1 pixel mapping)

Mits DLP:

-Integrated set w ATSC/QAM/CC tuner

-Includes netcommand, makes system easier to use for others in the house

-Good black levels (as do most of the sets w the HD2+ chip)

-Very sharp, detailed picture

-Does a good job deinterlacing and scaling SD material

On the glare screen... yes the 525 screen does have a lot of glare, the 725 does improve it a bit. The screen is easily removable and underneath is the same type of matte non-reflective screen that the Samsung and other micro-display devices use (although when removed the tv looks a little unfinished). I consider it a feature as it protects the screen if you have kids/pets that are, umm, energetic.

· Registered
961 Posts
I have the Sammy and I love it, save the fact that it is a tad slow deinterlacing and scaling. Makes interlaced video games near impossible to play due to the lag. Other than that, I've found no fault with it and have been happy with my purchase for a month so far.

Cush

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.