AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Sammy DLP 50" and don't understand the differences between the different Sammy sets? I believe the HLM is last years model. What are the advantages to spending extra $$ for the HLN model? Also, I see there are two models, 5065W & 507W, what is the difference between these sets as I also see a couple hundred $ difference in price? I only can see that one has a black frame around the screen and the other silver.....is that the only difference?

Any help on picking a set would be appreciated. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the DLP or LCD but haven't seen the LCoS. The final option is a 42" plasma but I prefer the larger 50" screen but can't come up with $7K.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 5065 which is sold at places like best buy is a lower grade unit. they do not have the furusia ( i cant spell ) scanning or the mustang 2 chip. Lcos is supposed to be awsome but havent seen it myself , but every review says the same thing AWSOME PIC but pricy buts thats before they lowered their price. gl

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thecazz
The 5065 which is sold at places like best buy is a lower grade unit. they do not have the furusia ( i cant spell ) scanning or the mustang 2 chip.
This is absolutely false. The only difference between the 507 and the 5065 is the bezel color - black or grey, respectively. They both have the Faroudja video processing and the HD2 DLP chip.

-Edward

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayor McCheese
I would suggest you go with the HLN over the HLM though.
Yes! You will get discrete commands if your HLN was built after June (firmware version 214 or higher). You will also get the benifit of all the PQ work Samsung has done and are still doing.

The Faroudja chip is in all HLN sets.

If you are not in a hurry a short wait might see the price come down too. There are now three LCD sets and one LCoS set with lower prices. Samsung "might" reduce their price if Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, and Philips start eating into sales.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Cheap Cheese might help but somehow I doubt it. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.