AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have to admit I was more than satisfied with the quality of DVD through my Sony 755 on the progressive scan output on my HLM5065. Yes, I didn't like the flickering and other artifacts I saw in scenes with tight detail like the shot of Rome in Gladiator, but other than that the picture was very good. I've seen good displays before as we own both a 50" Fujitsu plasma and the Princeton AFD3.0HD.

That being said, the picture through the DVI output on the Bravo D1 takes the display to another level in my opinion. Details are sharper, colors are more saturated and shadow detail seems slightly better. Also, I don't know if it's the right way to describe it, but the picture seems more stable, rock solid. I am using the player in the 720p mode for a perfect fit and I've never seen detail like this out of a DVD.

I agree with other criticisms though, the build quality could be better and the remote is the worst piece of crap I've ever gotten with an electronics purchase. I've since programmed my Pronto, so all the remote troubles have been forgiven.

For $200 I can't be happier and would recommend this player to anybody with a Sammy DLP!:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
good to see your post...i've been in Holland for 3 weeks now and I get home to my new hln5065, sir-ts160 stb and Bravo D1 this weekend! I'll post how it goes....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't be dissappointed. Another feature of this player which I've come to appreciate is the ability to vew photo CD's. All I have to do is burn images from my digital camera onto a CD and the player displays the photos in a slide show in HD goodness!

·
Registered
62 Posts
cjmac97,

Can you test your Bravo to output 480i to your 5065, I have 4365 and I am very curios if xx65 does a better job in de-interlacing and scaling.

Thank you,

Steven

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check it tonight and report back to you. I can't imagine the image looking any better than it does coming from the Bravo in 720p but I'll take a look.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey cj,

One more quick one - have you seen any of audio or lip-synch problems that people have been reporting w/bravo? I think some had coax output issues and "True Lies" DVD had a lip-synch issue.

Thanks so much,

Steven

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, lets see if I can answer your questions.

1. The Bravo doesn't support 480i through the DVI output. I tried it through the component output. I have always been impressed by the deinterlacing and scaling of the 5065 and I think this is why Samsung never permitted them to be show next to a 507. That being said though, the comparison wasn't useful. There is more detail and better color through the DVI output that no matter how good the scalers are, the picture looked better through the DVI output at 720p or at 480p. I also noticed that there is a lot less edge enhancement and ringing through the DVI port.

2. I can't tell you whether or not there are problems with the coax output, I'm using an optical connection. I'm plum out of coaxial connections on my Denon receiver. Sorry.

3. I see no lip syncing problems at all on True Lies. It looks perfect to me. What I will say is that I find it incredible how good non-anamorphic DVD's look through the zoom mode of this player.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm considering this tv set, but I'm not familiar with this Bravo product. Could you give me a model number and a manufacturer's website maybe? Thanx a bunch

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The maker of the Bravo is V Inc. There is a thread a mile long in DVD Hardware here at AVS.

It is currently impossible to send 480i over DVI on anyone's DVI. Somehow the "smallness" of the bandwidth is below the DVI spec's minimum.

Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
cj,

Thank you for the test - I am glad that you like the Bravo, since you can not get it any more till may anyways. It seems that DVI path provides a better PQ - too bad FLI in xx65 will be "wasted". Also, based on everything I read about Bravo, if it lasts and you do not mind the remote - a great player for $200.

Best regards,

Steven

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.