Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

It is quite obvious by my recent posts about this set that I am very interested in purchasing it in the near future. However due to the posts on this board that cover numerous returns and problems with PQ, I am starting to get a bit anxious. I know I will be blown away by an upgrade (i currently own a 5 year old 27 in Sony WEGA), but should i wait for another model to address these problems (or do you suspect a firmware upgrade will take care of the common problems encountered with this set). I will probably be buying a 46" or 50" because my apartment is so small and i will be doing some gaming on this set (so will be sitting closer than ~8 ft away.

Also as an aspiring videophline who doesn't have the components to back my aspirations up, I need some advice. When I purchase this set, what should i try to bundle with this set when haggling with tweeter (components, cables, warrantees). Currently I own a DVD player only with component (RGB) video outs (no DVI), a gamecube, an xbox, and am a subscriber to COMCAST cable. I don't buy any of the HD channels but that will certainly change if i get a TV that can handle it.

Okay guys thanks in advance.

Jon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buy always of course!

I was in the similar situation as yours and after lots of lurking and bargaining with my wife (perhaps understating how much I was gonna spend on it) I pulled the trigger on a HLN5065 and an tremendously pleased (upgraded from a 20# 12yo sony of course). I haven't experienced the problems that others report...I never saw rainbows and still don't. As a novice I never notice internal reflections and motion dithering hasn't reared it's head for me.

Upgraded to Comcast HD and have been very pleased ...HD is amazing and the digital cable channels approach DVD quality at times by my eye. I'm not a gamer so can't comment.

Bottom line...I had similar reservations as your but am really pleased to date. Unfortunately in the DLP spectrum market better deals and television will always pop up so your damned if you do and damned if you don't. For me the tipping factor was getting it in time for football and MAN has it been worth it!

-c

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got mine yesterday (I'm sure you'll see a slew of other similar posts across the board as I update some of my previous discussions on the subject).

Anyway, I was really nervous about standard definition picture quality. I'm pleased to say that I'm very impressed. The out-of-the-box quality on DVD was fairly horrible, but once I went through some of the recommended tweaks (gamma to 0, changing the delay setting, sharpness much lower, etc.), I'm pleased to say that the DVD quality is amazing (I watched Monsters Inc. and Two Towers last night). DirecTV signals vary widely. There's no doubt that a big TV with a crystal clear picture will make problems in the signal show up. That said, I've been watching mostly Speed Channel since I got it (F1 qualifying from Indy yesterday and Winston Cup qualifying last night) and I'm really impressed with the picture quality. It's much better than I expected.

So, I'm with clumeng on this... I had reservations, but I'm very happy so far. Getting some of the major settings tweaked, I think, is a must-do.

-Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot guys! today may be the day! What do you recommend for components to bundle? I think a stand for it goes without saying... what else do you think i can bundle for a discount?

Jon

·
Registered
535 Posts
Have had my HLN 467 set for three weeks now and have not experienced any problems with fans/lamps/rainbows etc. Have decent signal from Comcast .PQ is fine even on anolgue channels. PQ is fine out of box without tweaking. Guess newer firmware did away with need to do alot of tweaking.So yes go get this set but for peace of mind purchase from store with 30 day return policy and get extended warantee. Just to add a little more info I sit about 12 feet from set. Set is on for about 45 mins. in the morning to get news/weather. At nite from about 6:30 pm to 12 or 1 am for news/ normal tv shows and dvds 7 nites a week.Also several hours during weekends in the afternoon for sports and no problems viewing sports with action.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You didn't mention that you have a surround sound receiver or speakers. I would certainly want to get a decent audio setup to compliment such a nice TV. Even a midrange Sony receiver and some decent surrounds would make a HUGE difference in the experience over the TV's speakers.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Truhan
... but should i wait for another model to address these problems (or do you suspect a firmware upgrade will take care of the common problems encountered with this set).

Jon
Next year's model will probably have some improvements.

There was a one time upgrade (board replacement) for the people who bought the early sets. It gave them discrete commands. Don't expect Samsung to do that again. I also doubt that they will do firmware upgrades via software. Currently the only way to get a firmware upgrade is for your set to develop a problem that requires Samsung to replace the board that contains the firmware code.

When you buy make sure your set was built no earlier that July and you should be OK. If you get the HLN467 you are guaranteed that you will have discrete commands. If you get either the 43" or 50" sets and you happen to get older stock then you won't have discrete commands. Your dealer should be able to tell you when your set was manufactured before they sell it to you.

If you should get a set with a firmware version earlier that 214 you will be in a catch-22 situation in that you can't complain to Samsung or the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.