AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would like to thank everyone here for all the information you have been providing me over the last couple of months. I just joined today, but I've been monitoring the groups since November absorbing all the info you have been posting, while I hemmed and hawed about what to purchase.

Well, here it is, just over two weeks old:

Sammy HLN567W

Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI

BetterCables HDMI to DVI Cable and Component Cables

Motorola DCT6200 (I nagged Comcast to give me one even though they insisted that the DVI connector was not enabled).

Gefren 4to1 DVI Switch Box (not installed yet).

Hooked to a Yamaha RX2200 receiver.

Can you tell I've been paying attention? Thanks again for all your posts and suggestions.

It has been a dream to watch and listen to. Am holding off on ISF calibration till after 200 hours, but can tell I would like to get rid of the green push from cable box and from vcr's using composite connections. DVI I do not notice the green push from any DVD's so far.

I do have a few of questions/problems.

1. A few SD stations, one specifically, Channel 11 WTTW Chicago, especially the McNeil News Hour I notice a flickering of the brightness on the screen. It is very annoying during interviews, not very noticeable during their news clips. I suspect this is from WTW's equipment and not in my setup. Again only a few stations I've noticed this with. Comments?

2. Since the HLN567W DVI connection only allows PC Wide and Normal Wide options this will force me to watch all SD 4:3 programming stretched when Comcast activates the DVI. Am I missing something in any setting that would allow me to change to 4:3 with DVI connection? Or will I leave the Composite connections for SD viewing and use the DVI for HD viewing?

3. Started watching Top Gun on DVD the other night in wide screen. Had to set the 59AVI to 16:9 Compressed to get rid of the vertical squash that showed in regular16:9 with black bars top and bottom, but 16:9 Compressed leaves black bars on all 4 sides. Again, a setting I'm missing?

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Man, you are bleeding edge. I can't answer your questions but I can add to them. Am I to take it that if I get my DVI output working on my Comcast box and plug it into my Hitachi 57TWX20B, I won't be able to put my TV in 4:3 Expanded mode ever? Right now, it only locks into 16:9 when watching HDTV but I can watch 4:3 Expanded on the non HD channels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
With my Hitachi, when watching a DVD, I can set it to 4:3 Expand if it isn't wide screen. When watching the HD TV channel and the programming is not in HD, I can't use the 4:3 Expand mode so I watch non HD broadcast on the non HD versions of that network's channels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the HLN567W with DVI connection the only display options available are wide PC or TV. There is no compressed nor 4:3 option available.

There also are no Zoom display options available using DVI connection.

The HLN567W manual confirms this.

Also, remember at this time, I only have the 59AVI connected by DVI. The DCT2200 cable box setup options do not give any options for display size, at least for the component connections. I do not know if, when the DVI connection is activated on the cable box, will have any display options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can answer your second question, based on my experience with an HLN567 and a Samsung TS 160 set top box. Although the TV defaults to wide PC or TV in the DVI setting, I can set up the STB to display all the channels I receive from Direct TV in their native format. What this does is display the non-widescreen broadcasts in 4:3 (i.e., w/ black bars on the sides) and the HDTV broadcasts (or FOX 480P widescreen stuff) in 16:9. If I wanted to stretch the 4:3 stuff to fill the entire screetn (which I don't), I'd can hit a button, again on my STB remote, which will allow me to change the display format for the SD stuff. I suspect your Motorola box will have the same type of capability.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VinceP
Sammy HLN567W

Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI

Started watching Top Gun on DVD the other night in wide screen. Had to set the 59AVI to 16:9 Compressed to get rid of the vertical squash that showed in regular16:9 with black bars top and bottom, but 16:9 Compressed leaves black bars on all 4 sides. Again, a setting I'm missing?

VinceP

I have a very similar set up to yours and was wondering how the Pioneer DV-59avi is performing with the DLP? I just purchased a Denon 5900 and love the picture, but a little upset with a few issues on the DVI connection. From what I've about the Pioneer, and what you mention above, it appears to have some issues with displaying a full picture on the Sammy DLP sets. Care to elaborate? WIth the Denon, I haven't had that issue. I have it hooked up via DVI with my Sammy 567. The major issue for me is when I switch to component 1,2,or 3 while the DVD player is on, I lose my DVI connection and have to reset it. Thanks.

I apologize for getting off the subject. PM if this gets out of topic.

·
2,436 Posts
Have you changed the 4:3 override on the 6200? While you TV is on power off the 6200, then hit the menu button. Change the current setting, then power off the box again to save the settings. I think you want 4:3 480P, I don't recall. There are only a few options so you can try them all. I don't like the stretch so I want to see all the programs in the regular format and my non CRT display wont burn in.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Cabber... your problem with DVI is because your amp doesn't renegotiate the copy protection when switching. There is the same issue with DVI switchers that aren't designed with the copy protected version in mind. Ones that understand the CP send a 'reinitialize' signal to devices at both ends when switched. Ones that don't were intended for the non-CP version that PC monitors use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.