AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wishing to upgrade our old Panasonic 42" EDTV plasma to a nice Hi-Def 50" or ?. We will be using the Flat Panel for HD satellite and some xbox 360 , we have a projector dedicated for movies but we may hook up a DVD player for 'quick' movies for the kids. We will be sitting aprox 10 feet away so I am comfortable with a 50" TV. Now the real question, my current budget is around $800 which I feel is more than adequate for an everyday workhorse type of TV and there are a plethora of TV's out there and have narrowed it down to these:

Panasonic TC-P50U2 - $699

Samsung PN50C550 - $899

Samsung PN50C450 - $699 ( 720p )

Panasonic TC-P50C2 - $649 ( 720 P )

Panasonic TC-P50S2 - $869

Any recommendations of thoughts? I have included the 720P in my choices based on price and price alone, and since most of what we watch on satellite is broadcast in 720p anyway I am not opposed to getting a 720P panel. Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You left out what I consider to be the winner. That would be the Samsung PN50C490.

Yeah, it's a 720p panel. But for $900 these days, you get:

* a 3-D display

* an exceptional 2-D display

* two free pairs of 3-D viewing glasses

* a 3-D Blu-Ray player (in some areas)

That's a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been researching for my parents and ended up recomending the Lg 50 pk550. I believe based on pro calibrator Chad B.'s rankings, the lg was slightly ahead of the Sammy 550, and further ahead of the Panny s2. All good choices, though. Get the best deal you can find with a good return policy. Good luck, and enjoy the tv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.