AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a nice plasma to hang on the wall in a TV room. We're sitting about 15 feet away from the screen, so I figure we can go with larger size. I'm having trouble deciding between the Panny TC-P54G10 and the Sammy PN58B650. I've heard some folks say the Panny has better sound. I'd be using the TVs own speakers for this particular setup. Can anyone share any thoughts or opinions?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
15 feet, well there is a 85 inch Panny coming later this fall I believe, if it's too long a wait 60-65 I think are the largest sizes available from Panny and Sammy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Do you have any thoughts on which of the two models is a better option? I've read about flicker on the G10 but buzzing on the 58B650. Trying to sort it all out is a bear!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would go out on an adventure and try them out with your sources. Most stores allow you to fool around with the settings and you can see which is smoother because some people have bionic eyes and some don't. I would test all picture modes to see if you like there internal settings if you are not going to have it calibrated. Good luck. Don't buy blindly because Panny and Sammy both have strengths that are very different, it depends what qualities you are searching for in PQ.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My friend is dying to buy TC-P54G10. Saving money to get hand on it. Experts rate this product 80/100 and users 100/100. Comparing these reviews to 183963 other TVs reviews gives this product an overall alaScore™ 92/100 = Excellent.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvius /forum/post/16945670

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Do you have any thoughts on which of the two models is a better option? I've read about flicker on the G10 but buzzing on the 58B650. Trying to sort it all out is a bear!

try to find a buzzer........hahaha

beware of some folks....

btw pioneers the elite of the elite, allegedly also have a buzzer problem and pannies are notorious for blowing out their power and other circuit boards right after the warranty expired........a problem that did happen at my place of employment, within two weeks of warranty going bye bye, there went the panny bye bye

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not sure why everyone is still contemplating the G10 when the G15 is out there with the same qualities and thinner bezel? I've heard that the G10 is hard to find now. I actually went in with same dilemma trying to choose between the 650 Samsung and the G10 (I didn't know of the G15 then). In the end the G15 won out and I haven't looked back.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecoleman /forum/post/16946393

Not sure why everyone is still contemplating the G10 when the G15 is out there with the same qualities and thinner bezel? I've heard that the G10 is hard to find now. I actually went in with same dilemma trying to choose between the 650 Samsung and the G10 (I didn't know of the G15 then). In the end the G15 won out and I haven't looked back.

Does the G15 come in 54"?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can't go wrong with either. Every TV has quirks but both have outstanding picture quality. I went with the Samsung mostly because I liked its aesthetics better and it seems to deal with ambient light a little better (I never watch TV in complete darkness).

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
It depends on what you like. My opinion is the Samsung's look more vibrant, but the Panasonic's look more realistic. I talked to sales people at several places and they all said they get fewer returns on Panasonic's due to problems, but that doesn't mean they're any more reliable long term.

I chose Panasonic, but I can understand why some prefer Samsung.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm also torn between the two manufacturers. Panasonic, although not perfect, seems to be a more reliable product from a quality standpoint. Samsung, on the other hand, has just as good a picture, better picture controls & definite wow factor with their super slim models. The thing that scares me from Samsung is a significant percentage of owners reporting problems & Samsung's own poor customer service. But, the 58" Samsungs are already out there & we're still waiting on Panasonics. Sigh...

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkbyKO /forum/post/16946570

Does the G15 come in 54"?

No. The largest G15 is a 50" model. The G15 is exactly the same as the G10 except for a few cosmetic differences and a higher price. There is zero performance advantage.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone /forum/post/16945885

pioneers the elite of the elite, allegedly also have a buzzer problem and pannies are notorious for blowing out their power and other circuit boards right after the warranty expired........a problem that did happen at my place of employment, within two weeks of warranty going bye bye, there went the panny bye bye

The Elites didn't have a buzzing problem - some of the regular Pioneer models did.

And Panasonic is not "notorious for blowing out their power supplies and other circuit boards right after the warranty expired" - that's just an overblown exaggeration. The failure rate for the Panasonics is lower than any other brand and especially lower than your beloved Samsung. Panasonic did have a power supply failure problem on the first 1080p 2007 models but it is not a problem on the 2008 or 2009 models. And Panasonic has been very good about replacing the power supplies on the 2007 models at 1, 2, 4, and even 8 months AFTER the warranty expired. That sir is great customer service, something you won't get from Samsung.

As for other boards blowing after the warranty expired, i read all the Panasonic and Samsung and Pioneer threads as well as various LCD threads and the same can be said for every other brand of both Plasma and LCD TV - the all suffer random video board and input board and panel failures. Again, Panasonic has a lower failure rate here than all the other brands as well.

I see your posts in the big Samsung Buzzing Problem thread that the Samsung you got does not buzz and that's great for you, but you seem to dismiss all the other Samsung owners in that thread who are having a nightmare dealing with Samsung to get their TVs repaired or replaced. I've been reading about Samsung's terrible customer service for 8 years just on this forum alone and it's deplorable. Panasonic is at the other end of the scale here, and there's no denying it. Suck it up

·
Registered
675 Posts
My six year old panny still going strong. Five years after warranty expiration.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16947246

The Elites didn't have a buzzing problem - some of the regular Pioneer models did.

If only the non-Elite's had a buzzing issue why is the topic called:

"Pioneer 9G "buzz" poll (Elite and non-Elite) "

And why some of the posts of people reporting their buzz Elite owners?

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16946836

It depends on what you like. My opinion is the Samsung's look more vibrant, but the Panasonic's look more realistic. I talked to sales people at several places and they all said they get fewer returns on Panasonic's due to problems, but that doesn't mean they're any more reliable long term.

I chose Panasonic, but I can understand why some prefer Samsung.

You should go with a Panny. They have way better blacks that more than offset the slightly better whites the Sammys have. Also better color and more settings plus the 24p at 96hz as well.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/16950059

If only the non-Elite's had a buzzing issue why is the topic called:

"Pioneer 9G "buzz" poll (Elite and non-Elite) "

And why some of the posts of people reporting their buzz Elite owners?

OOPS you're right - i was only reading posts from the non-Elite owners several months ago because i was gathering Kuro buzz info for myself as well as a few friends that were considering getting a 5020FD and 6020FD and i completely forgot that i wasn't looking at the Elite posts. I stand corrected.

I did warn my friends that Pioneer was having a buzz problem on the 9Gs and urged them to read the threads about it before committing, and also admonished them to buy from an authorized dealer in case they got a buzzer and needed warranty work. I'm happy to report that both of em got non-buzzers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts