AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all--new to this board--I am excruciatingly torn between the panny pt50lc13 and the sammy 50 inch dlp--model # hln.....---I honestly do not see much difference in picture. Price not being an issue--my question is --is there any compelling reason why I should buy one over the other..Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had a similar smaller Panasonic and returned it in favor of the (again smaller) Samsung. The Samsung DLP had better black levels than the Panasonic LCD. At least it seemed that way to me. The Panasonic really looked crummy when showing dark scenes. The Samsung has some problems in this area, too, but not nearly as bad as the Panasonic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erndlc
... --is there any compelling reason why I should buy one over the other..
Buy the one you like the best. Each one has advocates on this board. I was originally going to go with the DLP but found out I'm susceptible to seeing rainbows and getting a headache while watching it. I love the Panny I ended up with... plus I spent less for it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I've had both sets - and they're both nice. The DLP will give you slightly better blacks, but either one should work fine. IIRC, the Panasonic has a few more inputs on it compared to the Samsung.

The only thing I didn't care for on the Panasonic was that the green grass on football games seemed almost neon green, and I couldn't seem to adjust it out to my satisfaction, but other than that it worked fine.

I just finally ended up with the HLN5065 DLP, but in the long run I'm not sure it was worth the extra bucks - but I'm not disappointed with the DLP either.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Go with the Samsung unless rainbows and headaches are an issue--if they are wait until the next generation of Samsungs come out with the seven segment wheel--if they still don't ring your chimes either wait for 1080p DLP around Christmas or break down and buy either a Panasonic or Fujitsu plasma.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing the 50" Sammy DLP, but I thought

the 43" looked great. After spending hours watching the same HD

program on LCD RP and DLP's at several stores, and reading about the Sammy, Sony and Panny in this forum, I got the 50LC13. It was an easy buy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken51
Buy the one you like the best. Each one has advocates on this board. I was originally going to go with the DLP but found out I'm susceptible to seeing rainbows and getting a headache while watching it. I love the Panny I ended up with... plus I spent less for it.
Exactly. Buy the one you like more. I am the opposite of Ken. I was originally going to go with the Panasonic PT-50LC13, but after I saw them side-by side, I decided on the Samsung. I am not susceptible to seeing the rainbows it seems, and the blacks looked blacker on the Samsung.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
:( j&r over @ park row in downtown manhattan has a working Sony 50WE610 and a Panasonic 50LC13..

side-by-side (sad to say different program loops).. the sets are *comparable*

the sony edges it out in overall picture crispness and overall punch..

i have no doubt that the Panasonic has the better "black level"

i'm going to go do some research on the panasonic and see how reliable it is.. if i don't see problem threads unlike the Sony xxWE610 line..

Sony may have lost my $$$ cuz I'm getting that Pana..

..maybe (damn, i hate being a Gemini!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.