AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I couldn't find the orphan thread I started several weeks ago about PIP on the Sammy DLP.

[rant on]

Just got peeved enough to start complaining again. ;) I am just totally at a loss to understand why there is no button on the remote to toggle audio output between the main and sub screens. Having to do this via the menu is ridiculous. Is there something cultural going on here...? Geez, they wasted enough buttons in the top PIP part of the remote anyway. I think we could have sacrified the v. lock or add/erase button to free one up for sound toggle...

Looks like I'll be making use of the discreet codes soon. Didn't see a universal remote in my future so quickly, but it looks like it's time now. Just this single function (lack of) is driving me nutzo...

[rant off]

{sigh}

p.s. Love the Sammy, by the way... :)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Dude,

Yes, pretty much everyone should pick up a universal remote for the Samsungs. Even if you don't want to do anything fancy, the ergonomics on the OEM remote are poor so it's worth picking up RS or AIW. For $30 you get better buttons, macros, discrete codes, etc. Not to mention the fact that you'll have a second remote around for when you misplace the first one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Max_gator, I'm bummed about this too. I'd even be happy if one of the DVI/VGA/CompX inputs could be put side-by-side with an antenna input... For now this can't be done...

·
Registered
94 Posts
For now, I will just have to deal with it. I'll connect the s-video from my cable box (and from the ota tuner) and when I want to do two screens with those HD sources, I'll just have to use the non-HD version.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcInNH
I am just totally at a loss to understand why there is no button on the remote to toggle audio output between the main and sub screens. Having to do this via the menu is ridiculous... Looks like I'll be making use of the discreet codes soon...
Looks to me like you're hoping for more discrete codes than there are actually going to be. Samsung is providing only Power On, Power Off, and one code to select each possible input (except that Antenna means A or B, whichever was previously active).

I'll rant a little, too: The new remote sacrificies the Caption toggle for the new DNIe button. Good thing I'd already memorized the Caption code from the old remote!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, I learned days ago I was a little too optimistic about there being a discrete code to handle the sound toggle, Frank. Bummer...

I can't believe these guys built this TV with PIP and make you go through a couple separate levels of the configuration menu (complete with annoying full screen overlay) just to change the audio between the windows. Even a macro won't stop the overlay from popping up...

Samsung, what were you thinking??? Geez...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the TV, but I am all hands up for the rants that all you have about the TV (also including some other Samsung's electronic products). Mine rants:

1) Poor reception angle for the remote

2) Can't turn BBE on from the remote

3) The remote doesn't even have codes to operate ST box

4) Poor quality control with the first batch of this TV (I have the HLM507W), pin cushioning, internal reflection, and the list go on and on, and on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.