AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my first post, i want to start off by saying that this forum has been incredibly valuable in helping me to decide on which tv to purchase as my first HDTV. I've spent hours reading a whole lot of threads over the last week or so, and finally made my purchase last Friday.

I decided on the Samsung PN50B850.

Wow. The PQ is absolutely amazing. I've not done any formal calibrating, and i'm amazed at how accurate the colours and tones appear right out of the box (i can only imagine the result after calibration). Watched my first Blu Ray, and was just blown away. The sound left a lot to be desired, but that's another topic.

I was originally looking for the 650, but had a hard time finding it in stores. I was able to get a decent price on the 850, so i took it. Since unpacking it, and exploring the manual, i've discovered that on the surface it seems to be lacking some features from the 650 - i.e. Game Mode, Cinema Smooth, etc...

This TV will be used mainly for Gaming and Movies. I was attracted by the Game Mode feature when doing my research because i get real annoyed if there's any lag that can intefere with my gaming experience. I could've swore that in all the info i was reading through i saw the 850 w/ game mode. I think perhaps it was a little bit of information overload as i was trying to digest specs for 4-5 different sets at once.

I tried MLB 2009 and GTA last night on the PS3, and everything seemed good - great actually as i can finally experience the tru quality of the graphics. But, i swore i detected a bit of a delay in reaction, particularly in baseball. I was swinging a tad late, and i couldn't make an accurate pitch. I understand that there could be a whole lot of reasons for this, including that i was just imagining it and/or getting used to a new display. But now i have this nagging feeling that i made the wrong choice of tv - and i really hate that feeling!!

Other than the xtra-slim profile, can someone summarize what real tangible advantages the 850 has over the 650? There's a $600 difference on sticker price, and now i'm not so sure i should've shelled out the xtra $'s.

As of today, im happy with my choice. But i guess i'm looking for reassurance that i didnt spend more simply for esthetics (i.e. slim profile).

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis:11 /forum/post/16943150

As my first post, i want to start off by saying that this forum has been incredibly valuable in helping me to decide on which tv to purchase as my first HDTV. I've spent hours reading a whole lot of threads over the last week or so, and finally made my purchase last Friday.

I decided on the Samsung PN50B850.

Wow. The PQ is absolutely amazing. I've not done any formal calibrating, and i'm amazed at how accurate the colours and tones appear right out of the box (i can only imagine the result after calibration). Watched my first Blu Ray, and was just blown away. The sound left a lot to be desired, but that's another topic.

I was originally looking for the 650, but had a hard time finding it in stores. I was able to get a decent price on the 850, so i took it. Since unpacking it, and exploring the manual, i've discovered that on the surface it seems to be lacking some features from the 650 - i.e. Game Mode, Cinema Smooth, etc...

This TV will be used mainly for Gaming and Movies. I was attracted by the Game Mode feature when doing my research because i get real annoyed if there's any lag that can intefere with my gaming experience. I could've swore that in all the info i was reading through i saw the 850 w/ game mode. I think perhaps it was a little bit of information overload as i was trying to digest specs for 4-5 different sets at once.

I tried MLB 2009 and GTA last night on the PS3, and everything seemed good - great actually as i can finally experience the tru quality of the graphics. But, i swore i detected a bit of a delay in reaction, particularly in baseball. I was swinging a tad late, and i couldn't make an accurate pitch. I understand that there could be a whole lot of reasons for this, including that i was just imagining it and/or getting used to a new display. But now i have this nagging feeling that i made the wrong choice of tv - and i really hate that feeling!!

Other than the xtra-slim profile, can someone summarize what real tangible advantages the 850 has over the 650? There's a $600 difference on sticker price, and now i'm not so sure i should've shelled out the xtra $'s.

As of today, im happy with my choice. But i guess i'm looking for reassurance that i didnt spend more simply for esthetics (i.e. slim profile).

The real difference? A broken cinema smooth and a game mode I don't even use. Keep your set.

In regards to game lag, I experience none that I can tell. What size set did you come from? I've found the larger the set the more you have to get used to readjusting your reactions since your field of view is "larger".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts