AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be dumb but i'm looking to maximize my components (who isn't?!) for sound

purchased the samsung q70 HTIB

have comcast motorola HD DVR box with HDMI

viewing on samsung hl-s4266w with optical audio and dual hdmi imputs

have the motorola box and the q70 using both HDMI ports on the tv

question: should i have the optical cable (which, btw, comcast gave me just for asking) going from the cable box to the q70 to maximize the 5.1 on HD TV?

or should i have it going from the TV to the q70 (which only has one digital audio imput) for dvd playback?

how good is HDMI for sound alone compared to optical?

thanks in advance

· Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid83 /forum/post/0

this may be dumb but i'm looking to maximize my components (who isn't?!) for sound

purchased the samsung q70 HTIB

have comcast motorola HD DVR box with HDMI

viewing on samsung hl-s4266w with optical audio and dual hdmi imputs

have the motorola box and the q70 using both HDMI ports on the tv

question: should i have the optical cable (which, btw, comcast gave me just for asking) going from the cable box to the q70 to maximize the 5.1 on HD TV?

or should i have it going from the TV to the q70 (which only has one digital audio imput) for dvd playback?
I would take the optical from the Cable Box to the q70 and then

I would take the DVD(optical) to the TV Optical Input

how good is HDMI for sound alone compared to optical?
they are both DIGITAL SIGNALS so there is no difference..the diff is

HDMI carries both the audio and video signal

thanks in advance

hope I understood you correctly and was able to help

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply

there is only one optical imput on the q70, so i would have to use the only one to go from the cable box to the q70 to get the 5.1 from tv and then use the hdmi cable to run video and dvd audio to the tv

· Registered
275 Posts
The HDMI might not carry audio. I wouldn't think with a built in dvd player that you would not need to run an audio cable for dvd. You probably only need to run the optical from the cable box to the receiver and the HDMI out to the television.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I know some people use HDMI as video only, but that's by choice, not because the cable doesn't carry it.

· Registered
275 Posts
HDMI carries both, but that doesn't mean your receiver processes it. Most cheap htib's have a passthrough connection which only lets the signal go from plug to plug in the receiver, it doesn't decode it or do anything with the signal and you only get audio to the tv, not through the receiver. Check out this link for more info on passthrough. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...mi+passthrough

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that it shouldn't matter in your case. Your dvd player is built in to the receiver so the audio should already be connected inside the receiver, all you have to do is send video to the tv via the HDMI. Just use the optical from the cable box to the receiver and you should be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.