AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I've found a local (Sterling, VA) B&M to give me a decent price (right around 2k delivered) for a 6188. I'm still not entirely sure I need the 6188 over the 6187, but one of the main benefits to me I think is the 6188's built-in QAM/ATSC tuner.

I currently have DirecTV (no HD locals; I don't have an OTA antenna, nor do I have the new dish/PVR) and would like to know if I'll be able to receive local HD channels with the 6188 without changing anything else.

I don't want to go through the hassle of having DTV come out and install the new dish, pay for the new DVR, etc., etc., when Verizon's FIOS is literally 2 blocks away and I expect it to be available to me by this Spring, at which point I plan to switch.

That being said, I really can't justify going from my current 42" plasma to a 60" 1080 DLP unless I can easily receive my locals in HD.

Your thoughts please.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some additional research, it appears that it *has* an ATSC tuner, but not a QAM tuner. I guess the QAM is only required for cable cards?

In any event, I have no desire to get cable, so I don't think I need the QAM.

Now my question is this--do I need an external antenae in addition to the ATSC tuner/receiver in order to receive OTA HD local channels? I don't want to install an in-attic antenae, run wiring, etc. for just a few months before I get FIOS. Can I get a simple set of rabbit ears from the local Radio Shack and have HD locals tonight?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.