AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you who have bought a Samsung TV the past couple of years, how would you rate their reliability?

I'm getting ready to drop some money into their new DLP sets, but I've always seen the Samsung brand as one step behind Pioneer, Mitsu and Sony in terms of reliability. I'm willing to pay more money for a reliable brand over a TV with better technology but has a higher chance of breaking down one me.

Anyone care to comment what kinds of problems they have had with Samsung products?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Though I can't back up this with documented facts, I believe that when it comes to DLP, Samsung has decided they want to be the leader in bringing this technogy home. They seem interested in high quaily and quick updates on thier DLP sets. There's a big opportunity for them to be #1 in sales and development of a highly desirable product. I don't think they're gonna blow it.

I too questioned the Samsung brand - kind of like a car buyer may question Hyundai - but honestly, after buying the 567, I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If your willing to pay more money, just buy an extended warranty from your retailer. I think that it's probably a good idea if your looking at any of the newer RPTV technologies (DLP, LCoS, LCD). The reliability of these newer sets is probably a bit lower than the tried-and-true CRTs that the manufacturers have years of experience in.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Look at it this way, the DMD has a 100,000 hour lifetime rating. That's more than 10 years of continuous duty. Other than the DMD, there is only the replaceable lamp which is field serviceable by the end user. Such lamp replacement, essentially renews the TV, since the electronics and DMD have such enduring lives. Contrast that with a CRT failure, or a Plasma or any other technology you can think of and you will see it doesn't get any better th an this.

john stephens

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by james330i
for those of you who have bought a Samsung TV the past couple of years, how would you rate their reliability?
I returned mine after two lamp failures in three months. There have been numerous reports of multiple lamp failues of brand-new sets (so many that there was a power-buy thread for replacement lamps). There have been a couple of reports of failures of other types, but nothing alarming.

On the basis of reliability, I have been recommending against getting this set.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
DLP's from any manufacturer are a new technology. If your goal is the absolute reliability, I don't think DLP is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you have already decided on DLP, Samsung is a year ahead of everyone else. They had some kinks with early models, but things seem to have really improved.

·
Registered
620 Posts
We've had our HLM507W for 9.7 months. No Problems whatsoever. Great TV IMHO.

I think Samsung deserves alot of credit for pricing their DLP TV's for the masses, rather than pricing it as a niche product like Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Panasonic did. I realize the second generation Panasonic was more realistically priced, but would it have been if not for competition from Samsung?

Looking forward to watching HD on the DLP tonight!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my Sammy DLP since Nov. '02. NO problems at all.

I used the original tweaks posted here on this forum and everyone who sees my set comments on the clarity of the picture and how the images seems to jump out at you; especially when watching HD.

I am now waiting for the upgrade to get discrete codes and the other fixes, though I don't see how my picture can get any better.

:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Caveat: When my Sammy is working, I have been extremely happy and it fits my particular set of needs better than any current technology. The HD picture is something to behold, especially through DVI.

But...

There are really two issues for you: 1.) Reliability and 2.) Samsung Support.

1.) Reliability. Let's face it, there seem to be more problems with this technology than others on the forum. I know it's new, and that may be the reason why, but if you are looking for average or above average reliability this may not be the way to go (it may need a little more time). Read the threads and decide for yourself. You may have a perfectly good product, but maybe not. If you have a problem - good luck. This brings us to:

2.) Samsung Service. This is perhaps the worst service I have ever seen for a commercially available product. Samsung is more than willing to tell you what you need to hear on the telephone (this stretches from the lowest person all the way up to Corporate), but will not follow through. The product is new, and a lot of local techs do not know how to deal with it, complicating any potential problem. I have had a broken television for over a month, and Samsung is completely willing to have an unknowledgeable tech continue to order light engines or whatever else as he "learns" how to fix this set in my living room. The end result - Samsung loses a lot of money on unnecessary parts, and I, the consumer, will probably never buy a Samsung product again. IMHO, a company with decent customer service would replace a 54 day old set when there have been five tech visits with no resolution to the problem. Service is really the major problem here. Any product may break, but it is how you are treated when you have a problem that really matters. In my case Samsung has failed miserably in this area.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got an HLM507W in December last year just in time for Christmas. I paired it with the Samsung 160 box (DirecTV and OTA in one box) because it was the only reasonable combo to allow me to view HD pictures and still record SD to my Replay TV unit at the same time.

The DLP unit has performed flawlessly and only required a couple of tweaks and experiments to give wow! results. I got most of my tips in this forum.

I've influenced a couple of other people into buying one and they have no regrets (so far).

I generally recon that TV gear has a useful life of about 7 years but will usually last about 10-12 years.

In about six years, I'll buy the replacement for this unit. Then this one will move from the theater to the family room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too questioned the reliablity of Samsung. I am still skeptical about it. I bought my first Samsung product, the HLN617W over a month ago. It failed me on second day. The unit lost audio and finally die. I've got a brand new replacement unit last week. I am keep on telling myself that, it's just a defective unit. It could happen to any brand. I am keeping my fingers cross!! The only reason I bought this unit is: I need a new TV now, and it has all of latest technologies. which I am hoping satisfied me for at least the next 5 years. I also bought ext war from my local retailer just in case. The nice thing is that. If I don't use ext war, the store will credit half of it back to next purchase. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by john stephens
Look at it this way, the DMD has a 100,000 hour lifetime rating. That's more than 10 years of continuous duty. Other than the DMD, there is only the replaceable lamp which is field serviceable by the end user. Such lamp replacement, essentially renews the TV, since the electronics and DMD have such enduring lives. Contrast that with a CRT failure, or a Plasma or any other technology you can think of and you will see it doesn't get any better th an this.

john stephens
Then there's the color wheel. MTBF for that is far less than 100000 hours, and it is not user replaceable.

-Rob-

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would disagree with you on Sony reliability.

My Sony 36XBR400 conked out on me in 2 yrs. Lots of others with the same model have reported the exact same problem. Apparently, Sony seems to have QC problems with many of their products now.

Since Sony completely left me hanging, I told them I would never buy any of their products ever again. Just bought a Panasonic 50LC13 and never even considered a Sony.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
james330i:

Wanted to add my voice to those presenting pro-Samsung views. I have had my DLP since Dec 2002 and it has been amazing. Just got the Samsung upgrade for the early buyers and couldn't be happier. I have seen nothing near the same price (and with the same form factor - weight, size) that comes close to its picture quality. I expect this set to last a very long time.

I went to Korea last August and was so impressed with Korea itself, but also with Samsung as a company. They say they are out to beat Sony and everything I have seen in consumer electronics (including computing) indicates that they are making good progress.

I think they were surprised with the success of the DLP and had problems ramping up their customer support to address some of the issues that are inevitable with the release of a new technology. Sure, there were a few folks who got run over in the rush, but most owners are VERY happy with their Samsung equipment. Remember also that the folks who are NOT having problems tend not to post the fact to AVS Forum - it's the folks who are unhappy who are most vocal...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Deucedriver,

I agree with you that having a set for 54 days, and five tech visits, calls for being offered a replacement. Maybe if you were able to reach someone at Samsung with the authority to replace your set, it might happen.

We had our Sony DVD player malfunction a couple of times under warranty, and an engine replacement in our Ford Explorer at 7600 miles, so I know the feeling of wishing a manufacturer would just replace the product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.