AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peeps,

I just got sample screens from Stewart. They are of A4 size each. My question is how do you place it for testing. I have a plain wall and dont want to use any sticker or tape as I fear removing it will cause the paint to come off. Should I just use a blank plywood and somehow place all on it so that it can be reused elesewhere? Basically looking for ideas on how you all have organized it for testing purposes.

P.S : I just ordered this so hopefully it works.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Hello peeps,

I just got sample screens from Stewart. They are of A4 size each. My question is how do you place it for testing. I have a plain wall and dont want to use any sticker or tape as I fear removing it will cause the paint to come off. Should I just use a blank plywood and somehow place all on it so that it can be reused elesewhere? Basically looking for ideas on how you all have organized it for testing purposes.

I will respond to this as you mentioned Stewart samples.. 3M masking tape works best. If you use the double sided poster tape as shown it will telegraph bumps into the samples. When taping samples to wall, make sure they are true and flat without wrinkles or waves. Also, 3M masking tape has just the right amount of tack not to damage walls if removed within a few hours.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. I will use the painters tape that I have and will use on my old jeans for couple times to get the stickiness somewhat off. Thanks again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thank you so much. I will use the painters tape that I have and will use on my old jeans for couple times to get the stickiness somewhat off. Thanks again.
No need. Just tape it up with the blue tape. Unless you have some crazy, rare wall paint, it should be just fine. Test it in a corner behind a chair first if you're really concerned.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I will respond to this as you mentioned Stewart samples.. 3M masking tape works best. If you use the double sided poster tape as shown it will telegraph bumps into the samples. When taping samples to wall, make sure they are true and flat without wrinkles or waves. Also, 3M masking tape has just the right amount of tack not to damage walls if removed within a few hours.
Hope that helps.
Nearly 21 years AVS member ....
I'm sure you've seen many changes here / HT industry like I have
Stewart avs.jpg

·
Premium Member
786 Posts

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
587 Posts
Hello peeps,

Painter's tape will work fine to hold up the samples. Tape them up in the center of where you are going to project the image so they get the same level of lighting that would be hitting the final screen.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
587 Posts
Hope that helps.
Name checks out. This guy knows how to tape up Stewart Samples......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, almost four decade in the AV industry. Yep, I have witnessed the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly. That said, it has been an exciting and very rewarding job for me. No regrets.
Oh my gosh--- its like getting it straight from the owner. I feel privileged to get a response from Stewart himself. Made my day

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Hope that helps.
Don if you could.

Would you offer your insight into what we see when we cluster a lot of different small samples in front of a projector that can only be calibrated for maybe one of the samples at a time. Then combine that with the vast amount of our visual FOV will be taken up by the painted wall and how it handles the projected image?

I have tried on and off for a couple decades to evaluate samples fairly and in the end often find myself more confused than before I started. I’m a fan of very large samples and I realize that is often not possible.

I see quite a bit exactly what the OP here is doing placing ALR black samples in the same panel as say a reference white sample along with a bunch of grays some ALR some not. For me in the end I don’t think you really learn much.
I know you guys send out a lot of samples. Do you ever offer guidance on how to best use them? :)

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Don if you could.

Would you offer your insight into what we see when we cluster a lot of different small samples in front of a projector that can only be calibrated for maybe one of the samples at a time. Then combine that with the vast amount of our visual FOV will be taken up by the painted wall and how it handles the projected image?

I have tried on and off for a couple decades to evaluate samples fairly and in the end often find myself more confused than before I started. I’m a fan of very large samples and I realize that is often not possible.

I see quite a bit exactly what the OP here is doing placing ALR black samples in the same panel as say a reference white sample along with a bunch of grays some ALR some not. For me in the end I don’t think you really learn much.
I know you guys send out a lot of samples. Do you ever offer guidance on how to best use them? :)
Hi Bud,
It is Sunday morning here and I am just taking my first sip of coffee, so I don't want to think to hard. That said, I will put your suggestion on my to do list.

Testing samples can be confusing, especially on 8 X10" sample cuts. Off the the top of my head, here are some factors to consider. As mentioned thousands of times on this forum before, the room conditions by itself should be considered as the number one part of the system and will dictate the proper screen selection. As mentioned by other's here, when you tape mutiple samples up your eye will first be attracted to brightest sample and that is ok to get a first impression of the differences. But the true test to evaluate each sample solo too.
1. Make sure the sample is flat with not waves or wrinkles. Angular reflective and ALR screens are very sensitive to this.
2. When testing, have PJ set to the image size that one is considering.
3. As previously mentioned, it is difficult to evaluate the white field uniformity, aka hot spot, if any, on a small sample so make sure that the set up meets the minimum
recommend throw distance as published on the screen specs. Materials - Stewart
4. Evaluate samples at the planned seating distance. Also, be sure to to view at the most off screen axis seating position to check for luminance fall off.
5. When I evaluate screen materials in our lab, one of the first patterns I go to is the ANSI black and white checkerboard pattern. Position the sample so it is getting part of the
white and part of the black pattern. With ALR screens, its main job is to enhance the black levels, with hopefully a minimum impact on the white luminance levels.
6. Finally, try to duplicate the room conditions as one plans to use in both daytime, if appropriate, and night conditions.

That's all I got for now.
Regards,
Don

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Don. You post is very helpful. Will plan to test one after other and follow the steps you mentioned. As of now I am torn between Firehawk G5 and Studiotek G4. In all conditions Firehawk seems better with proper blacks. The white has great color and brighter image. I usually watch at night and as future thought I am inclined to white as I can move the screen to dedicate HT once I finish the basement. If I pick Firehawk then it may not be the best solution in dedicated HT. Although its atleast 2 yrs away. So torn..,

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
@Don Stewart Thanks for weighing in.

Not much better than relaxing with that Sunday morning first cup of coffee.

@kiran110377 The room you show in your photos is really a challenge for front projection with all the white surfaces. We don’t know the size of your image or the actual brightness of your projector or even the make and model. You say at some point in a couple years you will be moving to a more dedicated space in the basement. I’m assuming that space will have dark treated walls and ceilings and no external light coming in etc. The two venues will be dramatically different in what screen you will want to select IMO.

If it were me I would continue using the white walls for now if the image is at all acceptable or maybe just paint the wall a neutral gray given your projector and image size has the firepower to give you a bright enough image. I wouldn’t spend the money on what will work best in a white room and then move it in a couple years to a dark room. It would be easy to repaint the wall white after you move to the dedicated theater room.
Don did a good job explaining the use of samples and over the last 20 years I have viewed lots of DIY screen samples and in general I have found the bigger the better so that your vision isn’t influenced by what is not the sample. In general with DIY the final sample/test is a full sized screen. I know that is almost impossible when buying a screen also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Don Stewart Thanks for weighing in.

Not much better than relaxing with that Sunday morning first cup of coffee.

@kiran110377 The room you show in your photos is really a challenge for front projection with all the white surfaces. We don’t know the size of your image or the actual brightness of your projector or even the make and model. You say at some point in a couple years you will be moving to a more dedicated space in the basement. I’m assuming that space will have dark treated walls and ceilings and no external light coming in etc. The two venues will be dramatically different in what screen you will want to select IMO.

If it were me I would continue using the white walls for now if the image is at all acceptable or maybe just paint the wall a neutral gray given your projector and image size has the firepower to give you a bright enough image. I wouldn’t spend the money on what will work best in a white room and then move it in a couple years to a dark room. It would be easy to repaint the wall white after you move to the dedicated theater room.
Don did a good job explaining the use of samples and over the last 20 years I have viewed lots of DIY screen samples and in general I have found the bigger the better so that your vision isn’t influenced by what is not the sample. In general with DIY the final sample/test is a full sized screen. I know that is almost impossible when buying a screen also.
Thanks Bud :). My projector is Epson 4010. The distance to wall is around 15ft and I am getting 130 diagonal for 16:9 image. I am using Bright Cinema mode and thats why I think I am liking the white one better as its bright. I will explore the paining of the walls to neutral gray, Since the plan of dedicated HT is 2-3 yrs away (Just bought a home) I want to take that works for dedicated HT but dont want to compromise too much in the current loft area setup. For now looking at 2.35:1 115 width which will be around 125 diagonal. Or should I think to get Firehawk and keep it. Will not move this to dedicated HT but might take another Stewart G4. I am sold to Stewart after looking at the samples. Nothing can come close to the quality. Such an amazing product.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
I don't know man...I mean, do you really think using some blue painter's tape could get the job done here.
Yes. We're talking about an activity that's going to last a guy maybe an hour or a couple of hours max to do. Tape 'em up and see how they perform.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts