AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did my due diligence searching but could find nothing.

I'm wanting to upgrade to one of the macro-enabled universal remotes, like the Pronto or similar. I'm wondering if there is some way via an infrared code (perhaps on the service remote?) to switch directly to the various inputs on the Sampo? This way, I can have a "watch a DVD" button for my wife so that it will switch the Sampo directly to the progressive input, switch the receiver, change to 16x9... you get the idea. Then have a "watch OTA" button that switches to the RGB input on the Sampo, blah blah. So, is there such a beast?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis:
You should be able to do what you want with any macro-programmable remote such as the Pronto, with one big drawback. you need to be on the same input each time you want to invoke the macro command.
Yeah, I had come up to the same conclusion, which, while workable, is not a really elegant solution. I can't imagine trying to explain to my wife that "okay, if you're currently watching a DVD and want to go to DSS, then press this button, but if you're watching a video tape <<why?>> and want to watch DSS press this button." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hopefully when you get your service remote there will be some sort of fancy answer to our desire.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Curtis: When are you going to figure it out. ASK YOUR BUDDY WHO WORKS FOR THE DEALER FIRST!

Unlike the Toshiba sets Sampos DO SUPPORT DESCRET CODES FOR INPUT SELECTION. I have macros like you guys are talking about. The only snag I have hit is that the set will not take another code while switching.

Ala I can't send the descret ON comand too close to the input I want to jump to. Sonys will take both commands in less than 2 seconds. With the Sampo I have to wait.

I have the codes for on, off, TV, AV1, AV2, YCRCB, YPRPB, and RGB.

You guys got Prontos yet?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Darian:

I have the codes for on, off, TV, AV1, AV2, YCRCB, YPRPB, and RGB.

You guys got Prontos yet?
You dear, dear fellow. Of course I don't have a Pronto yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . I don't even have the requisite permission to purchase such a beast yet, but I'm working on it. Did you get these codes from the service remote or from some other source? Just curious, because the Pronto, while nice, might be out of the range of possibility, whereas a remote that could learn off the service remote (if that's where you got it) might not be.

Thanks for the input! Might want to post Pronto codes anyway, unless someone's already done it. That way all us poor who search later for it can find it. That's really great news, though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all...I have the Sampo and the service remote...but can't figure out how to access the sub-menus. I can bring up the service menu, and move up and down the option...but I can't seem to choose any of them.

Aaron

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good idea. I can't comment on if your goal is doable from the service mode/remote as mine is on order. Assuming that you can't do what you want, here's the situation...

You should be able to do what you want with any macro-programmable remote such as the Pronto, with one big drawback. you need to be on the same input each time you want to invoke the macro command.

Here's why. As you know the input selection of the Sampo is serial, meaning that you must cycle through each input till you get to the one you want. There's no direct access keys on the supplied remote. My 2 year-old Toshiba RP had the same design that has been replaced with direct access keys on their current models.

My Sampo is quite slow at switching inputs (3 seconds per change)so you'll want to insert pauses between commands. For example if the display was on cable/ant. mode when you want to watch something on the RGB in, you must press "Input Select" 5 (count 'em) times to get to the RGB signal. Multiply this x the 3 second lock interval & it takes 15 seconds. At least on mine it does.

The same macro will not work properly if you try to go to RGB from any other input. You would have to program separate macros for 1,2,3 & 4 Input Select sequences. Then you would have to train everyone in your household what macro to select when. More trouble than it's worth probably.

Curtis

[This message has been edited by Curtis (edited 03-01-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you know what you are doing?

What I mean by that is this.... have you ever worked on TVs before? Did you just get the service remote because of Merson's review.

The reason they don't just alow acess to the service menu is there is no reset. YOU CAN REALLY MESS UP YOR SET!

I make no claims as to what the end result will be if you go forward.

Press the service button. When the red menu appears... stay in the first 2 peramaters. Press the ADJ + or -. Then the red screen will disappear. Now press the Men + or - Use Men + or - so select perameters and ADJ to adjust them.

If you change the value in the service menu it willl directly effect the non service menu.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darian:

Would you be so kind as to provide those wonderful direct input IR codes for the Pronto? I'm considering getting one of these very soon, and this would really help.

Many thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Darian,

Thanks for the info...I've been warned previously about staying only in the first two menus and I have no plans to do otherwise. I really just wanted access to the geometry controls for my interlaced signals. I'll likely play around with some of the various color menus...but after using Avia, the TV looks pretty good right now.

Anyway, to answer your question...no, I don't have any experience with working on TVs...but changing the geometry and color setting won't hurt anything (and, yes, I did write down all the original values). I would just get it ISF calibrated, but I have called around to the HT stores around here (there are not many to begin with) and none of them will work on my set since they don't sell Sampos...so I'm stuck trying to make any adjustment I can myself.

Aaron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't know if this will work but it did for my toshiba:

usually when you hit channel up or down the tv switches tv input, i like to do it twice to be sure, so you know where you are you can now make a macro that hits 'input select' the requisite amount of times...

ex: change to rgb if rgb is three away from tv:

1. channel up

2. channel up

3. input select

4. input select

4. input select

and label this macro RGB or whatever and make another macro with more or less 'input select' to get to the other inputs and label them as well....

hope this helps until the discrete input is available....

·
Registered
842 Posts
No Offence... skip Jay's recomendation. It doesn't work.

Like I pointed out before... the Sampo will no accept input codes in rapid succestion. Also there is no, "jump to tuner" when you hit channel up or down.

Jay is dead right about the Toshiba's thou. His procedure is the only way to get them to specific inputs. The Sampo requires almost 3 seconds between input commands. This further hampers the speed at wich you could even send the Macro.

Just get the Hex codes to go direct. They can be easily emailed then cut and pasted into computer driven IR TOOLS.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Just get the Hex codes to go direct.
Could someone who has them please put them on Remote Central, which is where one ordinarily goes? For instance, as a reply to one of the unanswered posts like this one?

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Darian

I just got my Sampo 16x9 set.

I also ordered the service remote as well. This is a

smaller black remote verses the bigger silver remote that comes with the set.

There is no service button on the remote. Am I missing something or did they send the wrong remote!

Thanks for your help!

------------------

Alan Gouger
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
809 Posts
The service remote has an extra service key, directly below the degauss button. It is unlabeled.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Thanks Gary..that button is missing so I assum they did not send me the service remote!

Thanks for your fast response!

------------------

Alan Gouger
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:

Just get the Hex codes to go direct. They can be easily emailed then cut and pasted into computer driven IR TOOLS.[/b]
Darrian - could you please post these codes? I'm a little boggled why everyone who says they "have" them, never, ever posts them. What's the big secret here? Thanks.

------------------

Dan Sully

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Alan, I hope you'll post your impressions after you've played with the Sampo (hopefully mated with the Iscan Pro) a bit .

I'm almost off the fence on that one. Now I have to go to Manhasset with my wife in tow (thanks, Gary, for the info) to see one in action.

The only real contender would be the Loewe Aconda 38" which is quickly turning into vaporware. I don't think I have enough patience to wait till October.

Also, if you do start carrying the Sampo, and you can beat dicounts-and-deals.com price, I'll be happy to give you my business.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sorry about the delay. I just don't keep up on this TV anynmore.

It is unplugged and I am using it as a table. It has been in this condition for about a month now. Reps and distributors are talking back and forth about what to do with set. I will talk to one and not the other and they will perscribe a course of action. I pretty much just ignore it now. "We will send someone to fix it." "Umm naw we need to look at other avenues" "We will just pick it up." Yet it remians.

What ever. I don't care. Its just in my way.

Merson: Nice of you to show up again. I pleaded with you to comment on the thread that people were having problems with these sets. The market for this set is completely your doing. I don't know if you felt guilty about recommending this set to people and having it not live up. What ever the case... just ignoreing it was not cool. I know its not your job to stick up for products you review. You could have at the least confirmed that your set did or didn't have the problems we have had... personally, I have always wondered if you just didn't use the set enough to find all the probelms we are having. Or, maybe, your set was perfect???
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/012641-2.html

Sampo direct inputs. I had to pay $35 to get a remote that had the direct input selections. Forgive me for not being able to get the hex codes posted. I had loaned my personal Pronto to a client. They had ordered the 2000 and were using a CCF on my Pronto to tide them over. When I got the remote back I just forgot about posting the hex. I had already retired the Sampo from service a few weeks before.

Alan: On the service remote I have, there is a hole punched in the plastic near the top of the remote. there is a button recessed in this hole. You need to press it with a pencil or something. If you have any questions just email it to me.

I posted the service hex before and noone seemed to notice. I will see what can be done about putting the rest back up.

[This message has been edited by Darian (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've put the set to the side also Darian for the past couple weeks. I was supposed to send it to Sampo a few weeks ago to have it repaired/replaced/money back, but I am doing it this week. Worst thing is that they want me to send it to them. To have it crated and sent to Baldwin Park (S. Cali) is 180 bucks. Oh well. At this point, I am not happy at all with the problems with this set. Seems to me others on this forum have the same problems too, and I don't see how Sampo couldn't have known about the problems before they released this model. I am going to ask for my money back when I return it. I just fear that they will replace the set with a new one, or deny they don't see the problems I've noticed. A $3K piece of equiptment shouldn't have any flaws as far as I'm concerned. Especially a TV.

Bob C

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.