AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a Sampo 34WHD5 (got it from UBid - 1389.00 plus 265.00 shipping) and it will be here in about two weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what hardware would best complement this set?

I am a DirecTV subscriber and will need a STB to receive HD stuff, both for satellite and OTA. This set has no line doubler or scaler, so I will need something to take care of that. I already own a progressive scan DVD player (Panasonic RP56), so that is taken care of.

Should I go with the Zenith DTV1080 which would take care of the line doubling, scaling and HDTV(including 720p for ABC)? Or should I get the iScan Pro and a different STB (I've heard that there are "issues" with the Zenith 1080)?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Although I just checked the Sampo web site and they still have not officially announced their 34WHD6 as available, the first copy of that new model was supposed to have arrived in California for "manufacturer review" back in April. And according to the sales folks at Sampo it was then supposed to become available in June.

They certainly announced it back in January:

Official Sampo SME-34WHD6 press release (PDF format)

Well it's now June, so I expect it will be announced momentarily.

I hate to suggest this, but if you can cancel your recent purchase I'd recommend it, and that you wait a little longer to order the 34WHD6 instead of the existing 34WHD5.

According to reports, the 34WHD6 has the long-hoped-for line doubler built in, along with a change in picture tube (for the better) and 45khz scan rate, along with a "direct access" remote control, along with discrete settings memories for each input, along with a second S-VHS input on the back, along with a second YPbPr input, along with picture-in-picture and side-by-side picture, along with SRS sound.

Its price will probably be around $2,999 (to start with, anyway) so if price is an object then you're not going to see a 34WHD6 at $1,600 for a long time. But if you want the [most likely] better, and certainly [most likely] more satisfying and user-friendly model, I'd really suggest waiting just a little bit longer for the 34WHD6 and paying the additional $1,400.

I am a long-time user and lover of the 34WHD5. I also ordered the "service remote" from Sampo (about $35). This is necessary because the "user remote" that ships with the TV doesn't have any way to adjust the geometry for the A/V inputs (i.e. non-DTV S-VHS and RCA). The user remote controls full geometry settings for YPbPr and YCbCr, but not for SD RCA and S-VHS, which is a real minus. That's why the "service remote" is a must.

If you send me a "private message" with your email address, I'll send you a copy of my 34WHD5 setup (assuming you can't or don't cancel your current order). This will have the values for both user and service remotes, for both YPbPr and A/V.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DSperber,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is too late, but it doesn't matter - I knew about the new model, but decided against waiting. Also, price is a factor.

What kind of setup (STB, line doubler, cable/satellite service, etc.) do you currently have with your Sampo? Are you happy with it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can get into the service menu this way:

check my longer post near the end of the thread

Now maybe the service remote allows you to do something in there that the normal remote doesn't...I don't know.

DSperber, please check your inbox for my PM. I would like those settings for my new 34whd5. Also, any insight you have about the interaction of the service menu and the regular menu on different inputs and at different scan frequencies would be appreciated by me and some folks over here:

bowing problem

and here:

Details

thanks,

Mark Haskins

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got my Sampo 34WHD5(SB) yesterday, and it looks like I'm going to have to send it off to L.A. for repairs. There is a convergence problem in the upper-left corner of the screen. I called Sampo hoping to get an in-home visit, but after describing the problem, the Sampo guy said that I was going to need a new CRT and that Sampo has a policy against shipping CRT's (what's that all about???). SO, I'm going to have to box the whole thing back up and send it off to Sampo.

My other option is to send it back to UBid for a full refund. I'd rather not do that, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From my experience with Ubid, one the set is in your home, they see it as Sampo's problem; they will not take it back.

Sampo was willing to do the repairs on my set (of course, I couldn't get a picture- a rather obvious problem). Shipping it back was a pain, though.

Just to clarify, why do you say it is a convergence problem? I am not sure what are the signs of a convergence issue. Is it that the colors to not line up and you get color fringes?

- Phil Klein

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured out it was convergence issue by putting an old stereo speaker close to the problem spot and moving the speaker around. If I positioned the speaker just right, the problem (about a five inch circle where everything is real dark) went away. After describing what I did to the Sampo tech, he confirmed that it was a convergence issue and that there was nothing an in-home tech could do to fix it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DSperber
Although I just checked the Sampo web site and they still have not officially announced their 34WHD6 as available, the first copy of that new model was supposed to have arrived in California for "manufacturer review" back in April. And according to the sales folks at Sampo it was then supposed to become available in June.
Check out This thread re: 34WHD6 availability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.