AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampo 42" HDTV vs Panny 42" EDTV

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Brucer 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Sampo 42" HDTV available at Costco?

I am considering to buy a plasma tv in the $3000 to $4000 price range and was considering the Panny 42" EDTV. But now the Sampo's HDTV is available for the same price as the Panny EDTV so I am wondering which will be a better buy?

Thanks

ED

#2 ·
Ed - I have the panny 42 EDTV plasma...irrespective of the deal for the HD Sampo (which I would confirm max resolution on), I can't imagine a better display than the panny. If you watch a lot of DVD's, the panny would definitely be your better PDP...IMHO

#3 ·
We ordered the Sampoo through Costco online (this was prior to the stores having them) for use in the bedroom, and we kept it one day before taking it back to the store. It's not that the unit had that bad a picture, but we have a 50" Pioneer in the living room, and the difference in quality between the units would have driven us crazy. We returned it for full refund, including the shipping (thank goodness for Costco...) and went with the 42" Panasonic - and are very happy with it.

#4 ·
From the side by side comparison (brief though it was) that I've been able to do on those two, there is no comparison. The Sampo looked gernally washed out compared the Panasonic, and even with the contrast as low as it would go was blazingly bright. I noticed an audible buzz in bright scenes on the Sampo. I know you can find the Sampo cheaper, but in this case, you really get what you pay for.

My two cents.

#5 ·
FYI, true HD starts at 720P, that is 1280 x 720 native resolution....unfortunately at this time, there are no 42 or 42" panels that touch that, so they are still all ED panels.

My opinion, yes more pixels should offer a less grainy picture, but keep in mind, video processing, scaling and most important, black levels and contrast that are generally lacking on the 1024 x 1024 panels and most "higher" res panels

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cabby850
Anyone have experience with the Sampo 42" HDTV available at Costco?

I am considering to buy a plasma tv in the $3000 to $4000 price range and was considering the Panny 42" EDTV. But now the Sampo's HDTV is available for the same price as the Panny EDTV so I am wondering which will be a better buy?

Thanks

ED

Costco lists two Sampo models on their website,

PME-42X6 - Alis 1024 X 1024 (+$1000)

PME-42S6WT - 852 X 480

I have my doubts that Sampo's Alis models are up to Fujitsu's latest offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.