AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I took delivery of the Sampo SME-34WHD5 (a week ago) and the Skyworth (today).

To make a long story short, my unit (Sampo) has the dark banding problem on the sides (reported in other threads here), which affect the color purity on white or bright backgrounds.

It is somewhat annoying. But I am keeping the Sampo. Why?

It does the 576p PAL out of the Skyworth effortlessly and with awesome results and that is as close to HD DVD as I will get for a total cost of $2,500 (cheap is my middle name I guess - no offense Bob Wood). 480p NTSC looks good, but not even close to 576p PAL.

The good images were obtained via component to component.

Anything from the Skyworth's VGA to the Sampo's VGA was way too dark. I have yet to try Skyworth's VGA to Sampo's component (I have the breakout cable).

So, for all these folks who debated the banding problem with the Sampo:

Yes, the problem's there (at least in my set and a few others). If you are a purist and want a perfect white screen, don't buy the Sampo, cuz returning it is a *****.

But if you want an astounding versatility and some awesome images (480p, 576p PAL, 720p, 1080i) and are willing to put up with a slight discoloration on the sides (visible only in very bright scenes, and not all bright scenes at that, and perhaps not in all sets), for $2,200 you can get yourself a real cool display.

Another option is to wait for fall, as there is word out that perhaps Sampo will revamp the line and fix the banding problem.

w

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wojtek, I have the Skyworth also and I'm waiting for the fall to see if the color banding issue will clear up on the Sampos. In the meanwhile, my stop gap measure is the Sampo DVE-620 player that converts PAL to NTSC. I'd be interested to know just how extreme this discoloration is. Would it be possible for you to post pictures?

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by eujin:
Wojtek, I have the Skyworth also and I'm waiting for the fall to see if the color banding issue will clear up on the Sampos. In the meanwhile, my stop gap measure is the Sampo DVE-620 player that converts PAL to NTSC. I'd be interested to know just how extreme this discoloration is. Would it be possible for you to post pictures?
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera.

The discoloration is fairly subtle, so I am not even sure a photo would show it, but once you know it's there, you see it.

Wow, are you gonna be floored when you compare the difference between a DVD player's PAL -> NTSC conversion quality (I have Raite 715, I know...) and native 576p PAL.

I was up until 2 am last night watching my PAL DVDs smiling from ear to ear. Eye candy.

I also compared native PAL 576i to PAL progressive 576p on the Sampo. Big difference - I could make out more details in the progressive mode, credits were razor sharp, in a word, wow.

w

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Wojtek,

Skyworth does not convert PAL to NTSC. I have the same set up as you and I agree that 576p looks great but it is not even close to real HD and there is still that dreaded 4% PAL speed up. As matter of fact I think that 480p looks as good as 576p. Progressive means that all lines are

scanned at the same time so you can't see scan lines as you would on interlaced TV and on NTSC discs you eliminate any judder caused by 3:2 pulldown by doing reverse pulldown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.