Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I saw the Sampo PME-42S6WT plasma during CES 2002. I cannot remember much about it. It was one of the finalists for Best of the show. Now, Costco is offering them for 3,999 with 100 rebate.

The problem is that I have no review information about this monitor. Zip, nada. Even Sampo's website has nothing more than the press release.

Any pointers from people here ?

Augusto

PS one other thing I like besides the price is that it comes with the stand plus the wall mount

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
This is one of their newer models.

The earlier models weren't that good, but were packed full of features. I was tempted to get one myself, but ended up with NEC (which cost slightly more).

There was not much on the earlier models either. They are far from popular & most people tend to buy other models. A pity, since the spec list on this one looks very good (particularly when you consider the price).

I guess you'll have to take the chance and report back to us...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ofer, Others,

Thanks for the information and the suggestion. But I will wait until I have more information before doing this purchase.

BTW, do you have the manual for the previous version in pdf format. I could not find in Sampo's site. I am very interested to know if this panel accepts the NR via the VGA and DVI ports.

Thanks,

Augusto

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Are you sure the CostCo part is correct? They tend to transmutate part number some times. Surely its this one:

http://www.sampoamericas.com/product...3Products.html

My fantasy is to buy a Panny 42 at CostCo for 3,999. You never know what store will have what product. Ours has a Daewoo for 3,999. "All inputs look like bad VHS tapes" according to the review. THe Episode I DVD playing their through a composite input gave that impression.

"with a contrast ratio of 580:1"

This is nothing to brag about. About the same as the Daewoo which looked very washed out. Panny claims 3000:1 but no one beleives it.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
IUnknown,

1. 580:1 is not bad if it's the *real* contrast ratio. As you said, the 3000:1 fantasy that Panasonic has been promoting is purely fictional. In reality, their plasmas can reach the most under 700:1 in IDEAL conditions (i.e., for the first few moments of a scene before AGC kicks in). Peter Putman had some reality checks in his tests for most of the sets claiming > 1000:1 ratios.

2. comparing plasma PQ by hooking them up through composite made me a bit sick. You have to check these things with a REAL connection (even SVideo is not considered sufficient for testing by most people down here).

IUnknown, I think you can get the Panasonic for $4500 - $5000, if you know the right people. That's not too far off the mark you set as your fantasy price...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.