AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Sampo SME34WHD5 that people have been raving about but does anyone have any idea as to the history of Sampo re quality control. I hate the thought of having to ship a set back, any set, let alone a heavy one, after a month, year or so for an aquired defect.

·
Registered
33,593 Posts
I don't know if it's indicative, but the Sampo was just reviewed in Home Theater Magazine and did not get a good review at all (as a matter of fact, I believe it was the poorest review I've ever seen for an HD monitor). Gary Merson's review was glowing and in total contrast to the magazine's review. It's possible that the magazine's review sample was defective in some manner (although they never indicated that possibility), or the opinions on this set just vary from reviewer to reviewer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
They have none. After experiencing myriads of problems with mine (most reported in this forum) I'm in the process of returning mine for one from a more reputable manufacturer. Search, and you will find I am not alone in this plight.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had a question about this monitor for some time. The Sampo has been praised for having high resolution compared with other HDTVs of similar size. If the Sampo screen has a dot pitch of 0.82 mm (per the review), then it is similar to if not higher than the dot pitch on other 34 inch flat screen direct view HDTV monitors. Surely the Sampo could not have higher resolution than what is implied by the dot pitch. If the 34" diagonal screen is about 29.6 inches wide, that is about 753 mm. With that dot pitch, the screen can show about 918 lines across its width, maximum. Isn't that pretty much the same as other monitors with the same dot pitch? How could the Sampo be so superior? I'm just asking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.