AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened upon this information while I was shopping for better Sampo prices. I apologize if you have already seen this.

SOURCE: http://www.recalls.org/6-01.html

PRODUCT: Television Product.

CODE: a) SME-34WHD5; b) SME-32HD5; c) SME-27HD5.

MANUFACTURER: Sampo Corporation, Baldwin Park, CA.

DISTRIBUTION: Nationwide.

QUANTITY: 537 total units.

59 units of model SME-34WHD5 sold in U.S.

33 units of model SME-32HD5 sold in U.S.

305 units of model SME-34WHD5 in inventory in U.S.

120 units of model SME-32HD5 in inventory in U.S.

20 units of model SME-27HD5 in inventory in U.S.

REASON: X-radiation exceeded the 0.5 mr/hr exposure rate limit.

Is this a big deal, or just some government pseudo agency running amok?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interesting. A couple quick points which may or may not help.

1. They don't state how high the emission actually was. Low dose radiation comes off tube TV's.

2. Radiation exposure is part of life (ie if you live in Denver, you are exposed to more radiation from the sun as a source than if you live in Death Valley). There is a risk/benefit ratio to these exposures and the prescribed limit is where the FDA has decided that risk starts to outweigh benefit.

3. Radiation dose from a source drops off by the inverse squared law....a dose 2 feet away is 4 times less than at the source (2 squared). If you are sitting several feet away the dose difference may be inconsequential. However, refer back to point #1.

Dan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
This has come up a couple other times in this forum.

I called Sampo tech support and gave them my serial number, they said that my set was not effected by the recall. The support rep I talked to said that it was only a small number of the first sets that were effected by this.

If anyone has more information, or a better contact point at Sampo, please post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.