AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To sampo 34" hdtv owners, I have an update as to the problems I have mentioned before. According to sampo this curved shadow on either left or right side of the screen noticable on bright/white/blue background,[Try having the blue background when changing inputs on wide mode and you should see this. Or on video essentials on the test patterns there is a part where it shows a blue/white etc. screen-the purity of the screen is not too pure-youll see the gray curve on either/both side.] is the toshiba tubes internal problem. They can't do anything about it but in the process of resolving this issue with toshiba. The other problem, wavy shadow when volume is turned up- technician that came to my house said this is caused by the subwoofer-Sampo on the other hand said might be a damaged part- anyways one solution is to get an external speaker. No repair has been done to my tv after 2 weeks of waiting-only inspection. And today, Jim from sampo called me and informed me about this toshiba tubes problem. So I am in the process of returning this tv to them. Hopefully by tuesday, as Jim informed this will be dealt with.

Too bad this tv I got has this problem. If the curve shadow was not as noticable as it is, maybe I would have kept the tv. But its really hard to watch a movie seeing this without even looking for it. This tv would have been a good one. Now I am in search again for another hdtv.

·
Banned
536 Posts
I am going to hold off buying this set. Are all current production models affected by this problem? Are they going to lauch a new production? If so will it be under a new model number or how will we know the serial number of those new sets? GF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
iforesevilla,

What was the build date of the Sampo you were having problems with? I had the same problems with two Sampos built in August 2000. I'm waiting for some info on the latest revisions. Several Sampo owners in this forum have claimed that they haven't seen this problem. It would be really nice of them to provide build dates/revisions of their TVs(hint, hint).

Thanks in advance,

Mecha

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unfortunately, my Sampo has the same problem. Very noticeable on my local station's air show HDTV demo when showing large sections of sky. Also appear to get some horizontal "compression" towards the edges.

Don't know the build date (at work right now).

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not having these problems at all on my Sampo. A couple of work around ideas...

- turn the sub off (from the remote).

- stretch and center the image a little to minimize the edge banding problem.

This is more for the people who no longer have the option of returning the display for refund.

Curtis

[This message has been edited by Curtis (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My manufacture date is September 2000. As I spoke to Jim of Sampo yesterday, its sounds like all the units have this problem--- did not matter when it was built or what the serial number was. Its just that some units are more noticable than others----the sensitivity of the viewer also comes in factor. I told him that I like the tv and if he has a unit that does not have that problem then I am more willing to exchange that one with mine. He said that he can't guarantee that it will not have the same problem. Sampo is aware this problem exist and trying to resolve the issue with toshiba. There is no way to fix the tv either by hardware or software its the tube itself, he said. So I have no other recourse but to return it. I really like the tv but don't want to see this shadow curve everytime I turn it on for the next 10 years. Jim has a tentative date of September 2001 for the new batch of the 34"ers. Its 4 months away and they have not resolve the problem with toshiba. We'll just see what sampo will do next. (use a different tube or delay production or use the same tube?)

After about 3 weeks of trying to address this problem with sampo-talking with Mike Batarsah(who is not there anymore) and to Jack Wang(tried his best to help but very hard to communicate with) Jim gave me a ring and finally gave me a straight forward answer which lead me to my decision of returning the tv. By the way Jack also admitted that they know about this toshiba tubes problem exist. Funny thing is that Jack arranged to have a techinician come to my house and inspect the tv- the technician said that he can fix the shadow curve not the wavy shadow that comes out due to the subwoofer--(the opposite of what sampo told me) Then the tecnician just did not call/came back-tried calling them but always the machine--go figure...then Jim called.

To those lucky ones that have very minimal shadow on either side of the screen or don't mind a little annoyance or don't have this problem at all then I wish I had your tv. Now I have to wait out for the next batch or find a different hdtv.

Ifor

[This message has been edited by iforsevilla (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curtis,

You don't have the color distortion on the left and right sides of your Sampo?

What's the build date on your set?

Thanks in advance,

Mecha

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the Sampo with a build date July 2000 (from memory, TV too heavy to move from corner now), and I don't have this problem. I switched between different inputs when the screen is all blue and I don't see it. I am using a DTC-100 to RGB input, DVDO iScan V1 to progressive component input. The problem I have is that the progressive component input do not sync most of the times and I have a blank screen, very annoying. RGB input seems to work fine, except for geometry, which I have a difficult time adjusting it to display a straight vertical line on either left and right side of the screen.

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have not seen ANY of these problems on my set. Picture is perfect from edge to edge, no distortion or banding, looked VERY carefully. I was also NOT able to reproduce the wavy shadow by turning the volume very high. Mfg date is Oct-2000, purchased directly from Sampo. The only problem I noticed was the occasional picture drop through the HD component inputs which Sampo serviced in house by replacing the A/V board. I did have to tussle with the geometry in the beginning, and was able to correct it using the service remote. If it is picture tube problem, should it not be in all the sets?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MechaStreisand:

You don't have the color distortion on the left and right sides of your Sampo?

What's the build date on your set?
Nope, and I have looked very closely for it. Build date on mine is October, 00. It was a replacement for one that had minor cosmetic cabinet damage that came direct from the southern CA Sampo HQ. Perhaps a human being checked it out before it went out the door.

Curtis

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iforsevilla:
To sampo 34" hdtv owners, I have an update as to the problems I have mentioned before. According to sampo this curved shadow on either left or right side of the screen noticable on bright/white/blue background,[Try having the blue background when changing inputs on wide mode and you should see this. Or on video essentials on the test patterns there is a part where it shows a blue/white etc. screen-the purity of the screen is not too pure-youll see the gray curve on either/both side.] is the toshiba tubes internal problem. They can't do anything about it but in the process of resolving this issue with toshiba. The other problem, wavy shadow when volume is turned up- technician that came to my house said this is caused by the subwoofer-Sampo on the other hand said might be a damaged part- anyways one solution is to get an external speaker. No repair has been done to my tv after 2 weeks of waiting-only inspection. And today, Jim from sampo called me and informed me about this toshiba tubes problem. So I am in the process of returning this tv to them. Hopefully by tuesday, as Jim informed this will be dealt with.

Too bad this tv I got has this problem. If the curve shadow was not as noticable as it is, maybe I would have kept the tv. But its really hard to watch a movie seeing this without even looking for it. This tv would have been a good one. Now I am in search again for another hdtv.

I need to know, do you have the 2001 model? I really want to buy this TV. There are 2 features that HAVE to be on my new HDTV are 16:9 aspect and 720p input/output. This is the only TV I could find that had both. I have read several reviews about this TV and everyone said its right at the top with the best of the best. Does this problem happen to every set? Or just some leaked out that way? COuld you elaborate some more, in detail, I really want this TV, but I dont want to have to send anything back.

Thanks,

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

[This message has been edited by chef423 (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To chef423, I totally understand how you feel. I researched about hdtvs for a long time and ended up choosing sampo. Its a good tv as compared to others of the same catergory mainly because of the many geometric controls, offers 720p and the rgb input. I really hate the situation I am in right now but its unavoidable. I doubt if they have 2001's cause their new improved batch is expected to arrive later this year or early next. Give Sampo a call at 18667267622 and find out more about it. Don't rush too much cause it would suck it you get a unit with problems similar to mine.

Ifor

·
Registered
772 Posts
DVD nirvana in the direct view world is reached when watching 1920x1080i Radeon glory pumped from an HTPC to the Sampo through RGB.

IMO, the best pseudo-HD I've come across...

DO NOT buy this set if you want an easy to use set that conveniently hooks up to a prog dvd player and that's that. There are better direct view sets for that type of simple application.

DO buy this set if:

1) you are an AV freak

2) you are going to use an HTPC + RCA DTC-100 (meaning you will only use the RGB input and not the other input types which seem to have issues)

3) you want the best of the best quality and are willing to take the headaches that come along with it (same reason to get the radeon, which was a pain, but now that it's working at 1080i -> woohoo!!!)

MMAfia

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh, and BTW, ALL 16:9 direct view tubes suffer from this "shadow banding" effect on the sides. I will admit that the Sampo exhibits this problem a little more than some other 16:9 tubes.

The dark bands are a result of the tube not "really" being 16:9 from the get-go from the guns, and are in fact morphing the signal to become 16:9 when it hits the front of the tube. I've seen posts from Panny Tau owners who have seen this on their sets during solid color video sequences.

Not until they totally remanufacture the way 16x9 tubes are currently made will this problem completely go away, so you could be waiting for quite some time dude.

Thought you should know this... surprised no one at Sampo mentioned this.

MMAfia

[This message has been edited by MonkeyMafia (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
So Mike is no longer there? Anyone know the specifics of that?

I have been waiting for Mike to Call back and tell me what was going on with this set. I just left it off to the side of my HT room. Rep told me to wait on Mike to tell me what to do. Well I was right when I determined that I was going to wait forever.

An AV freak? I don't think an AV freak would be happy with this set. I sure as hell am not. Convergance errors, picture drop outs, interferance in the picture if you use HD on the Pro components, and the permenate shading on the tube. (My current set is actually tinted Blue on one side and green on the other.)

This set was ment to be sold to the videophile. No extras like PIP or anything fancy. Just a kick but monitor. Well it has failed miserably in the regrad as a monitor. With all the issues with the picture and the documentation of the poor service....

Why do people still reccomend this set? I work for a dealer and we couldn't give them away.

Then again, if you are just trying to push something on someone for your buck... There are always people who don't know any better.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Like I said, until you've seen 1080i via a radeon equipped HTPC, you may think this set sux.

For the umpteenth time, if all you're gonna do is use some lamer progressive DVD player via component, or watch regular cable, then 4GET about it -> get something else like the Tau or Philips and you'll be VERY happy.

But if you're an AV freak and have a maxed/tweaked out HTPC and mostly watch OTA/Satellite HD via DTC-100 RGB, then the Sampo comes into play. It's the only consumer level flat 34" 16:9 direct view that I can conveniently hook up my HTPC to via RGB and watch 1080i DVDs.

It's similar to those who get the Radeon over a GeForceMX. Radeon comes with buggy, lame-azz software/drivers and can be a ROYAL PAIN to configure correctly (especially 1920x1080i), but man, once you get it hooked up... WOW!!! But if you can't stomach that, just get a GeForceMX and enjoy w/o hassles. Don't complain if you went the Radeon route and can't figure it out -> it was your choice. And NEVER get the Radeon w/o knowing what you're getting into, or else you'll be a lamer.

That's why you don't hear me complaining. I expected it to NOT be as well polished as, let's say a Panny Tau, and have quirky issues. Come on now, it's a Sampo, right? That was all part of the game plan.

What was also part of the game plan was to watch DVDs @ 1080i (in essence, performing what Faroudja does via HTPC except in the digital realm and at 1/10th the cost) on a 34" flat direct-view screen.

So, waddaya want? A new BMW with some dents and dings or a new civic in mint condition? Some people can't live with imperfection. Others are willing to make the tradeoff.

IMO, an AV freak WOULD make that kind of a tradeoff (hence the term, "freak"), while a pure, true videophile would not be able to stomach ANY imperfection/distortion.

BTW- I am employed as a web systems/streaming media architect. There's absolutely no $$$ in it for me, I'm just an "AV Freak" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But don't take my word for it, check out what other consumers have to say about it:

AudioReview Comments

MMAfia

[This message has been edited by MonkeyMafia (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sampo recieved my set this last week, after I had to pay $205 to ship it there. They are looking at my set and told me that anything would be repaired under warranty. I told them I want my money back instead, and the guy who I talked to said he'd see what he could do.

Bob C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.