AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sampo 16x9 HD set at home. I love this set. For the money it is outstanding.

My question regards calibration on the component input.

All inputs look outstanding except the component input. It has a heavy blue cast.

When I go into the service menu and drop the blue Black level to 1 I still have this blue cast.

Question 1. If I remove the back cover is there a set of manual drives to allow me to drop the blue.

2. When I set the color on the component input it is then off on all other inputs. What gives?????

3. While in the service menu all controls (video contrast/rgb contrast) seam to interact with each other. What is the procedure for calibrating this set?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to say that reading your post made me feel a little better about not being able to make the adjustments on this set by myself. I purchased mine last March and while I was initially awe struck by the picture having never even seen an HDTV of any kind outside of a store before.

Since then I have spent countless hours trying to learn everything possible about home theater and have practically memorized DVD Essentials trying to perfect the picture on my my set to meet it's capabilities. My friends think I'm insane because all they see is this amazing big TV and they also didn't pay for it.

I still love my set but the picture has gotten progressively darker over time. I use the VGA input but I also have the same problem you mentioned with the blue cast as well as others. The newest of which are these lines on the screen which appeared a few weeks ago. I have almost given up on any hope of perfect geometry (any sane person would have settled long ago).

I have tried using different inputs to see if that would improve the picture because at one point I had a near black screen using the VGA and after about a week of research I wanted to look at something other than my computer. After about a days work I got a picture that wasn't completely green using the component input but it was far from acceptable.

Recently I called Sampo after reading here about the recall they had issued. Since I just barely fell out of the recall range I told the man I spoke with about the problems with the set and asked what I could do. His first response was to suggest I hire an ISF technician to do a proper calibration to which I replied gladly if Sampo would pay for it since I would like nothing more. I would likely have done so myself had I not been laid off recently but now it's just not an option. With that he said that there were problems with some of the parts in the earlier sets and since I am still under warrantee they are sending someone to replace something which he thinks is causing the problems.

I apologize for the lengthy response which essentially contained no valuable answers to your questions. However, I have received numerous e-mails from other owners and potential owners who read a review I wrote shortly after I got my set. Most recently I was contacted by someone from this site about the possibility of starting devoted to this set which I would personally love to see.

I'm not sure if anyone has contacted you directly with help as opposed to posting a response but the fact that I was the first to post after such a long time is indicative of the general lack of information about the Sampo sets. Actually, my initial intent for posting was to ask if you had gotten any answers that I might be able to use, preferably without having to take my set apart since it weighs twice what I do and I'm not sure I could do it without killing myself. As I've been typing I've also been looking at the service menu on my screen which I've spent more time staring at than I have even my favorite movies put together so this was the result. The gentleman at Sampo was very nice and when their technician comes to work on my set I'm not letting him leave until I'm satisfied that he's done everything he's capable of doing (poor guy).

Again, my apologies for providing you with more questions rather than answers but my hope is that others may respond with the answers and we can all enjoy the picture the Sampo is capable of producing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ALan,

I'm sure you didn't overlook the R, G, B settings in the regular menu???

I haven't ever calibrated my sampo, it might indeed have blue push... haven't even ever taken a close look at the colors.

Bob C

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bob C,

Have you never calibrated you set because your set arrived with a perfect picture? If so, how long have you had it and can you tell me what all of your settings are? While I realize every set is going to have some difference if I used the same settings as yours or someone else's I might be able to tell if my problems lie in the settings or in the hardware itself.

This has truly been an initiation by fire experience for me into the A/V world! I have at least seen every setting in every menu of this set and I've spent hours researching the various formulas used to calculate contrast, brightness and color settings.

If it weren't for the fact that so many of my friends have benefitted from my obsessive behavior I think they'd be trying to find some sort of A/V version of alcoholics anonymous. Sometimes the only thing preventing me from throwing the set out the window is the fact that I can barely push it accross the floor let alone pick it up.

It's my own perfectionist drive that won't let me sit back and just enjoy it though. I could have bought a set that required a lot less work but I fell in love with this one. It's kind of like having a dog that you love but can't house train.

If you don't mind my asking, which connection(s) do you use and what components do you have? I have an iscan linedoubler and run my DVD, VCR, RelplayTV and digital cable box through it and then use the RGB connection on the Sampo although I have also used the YPbPr input. My DVD player is not Progressive but I'm probably going to buy one that is so that the iscan will only be converting an S-video signal.

I would really appreciate any help you could provide.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Never been in the service menu, don't have the service remote. My settings won't be of much help, I don't even use the Sampo for my main viewing anymore since I got a Front Projector. But, I keep all three of the R G B at or around 160 in the user menu in both YPbPr and VGA. I have to adjust my brightness/contrast settings.

I'm not really too fond of the Sampo... Is your picture distorted on the lower righthand screen, like bowed up? Mine always has been, and what I found interesting at CES this week was I was looking at other brands of 34" TVs like the sampo (prima/advent) and noticed the same thing in the lower right. I contacted Sampo a while ago and even sent in my set to have it looked at and they said it was normal.

Bob C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.