AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is not old news, I have not been to Sam's in a while. I also tried a search on this forum with no hits.

The tag did not mention whether or not the card was included. Was competitive but not a new price point.

Based on the poor picture/setup, my wife was not really interested. The Elite is her comparison point.

I have read it here a thousand times, but it still scares me to drop this kind of money on the 503 and get it home and "hope" the picture is as good as the Elite.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go to a friend's house (if you can) to see a properly set up 503CMX. Try to see the 503 with a HDTV signal as source. You will instantly become a "believer".

The worst place in the world to evaluate any plasma display would be at Sam's Club. Their feeds are terrible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was in Sam's last week, and stopped to look at their plasma display. I picked up a remote attached to one of the plasmas (a Philips model) and changed the channel. To my surprise, it changed ALL (10 or so) of the monitors/TVs simultaneously. I guess they daisy-chained the signal to make their life easier. Not sure, but it seems this would also degrade signal quality as it worked its way down the line.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't worry about what you see in the showroom/warehouse. They typically daisy chain their signals across all their display devices. The result is a weak distorted signal. Watching DirectTV at The Good Guys, plasmas, direct views, and rear projectors all looked horrible. This gave me a lot of concern before I bought my 503cmx as to whether I would be able to tolerate a non-HD signal on this high resolution set. Well let me tell you, watching ANALOG cable tv through my vcr tuner into the Pio gives me a suprisingly decent picture! As to the supposedly inferior black levels, I watched Enterprise last night on cable, and the star fields looked fine. DVD's like The Fifth Element, varioius Star Treks, etc all look awesome on the Pio. My advice - get in on Dell's 15% off deal and just go for it!!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by video1
Well let me tell you, watching ANALOG cable tv through my vcr tuner into the Pio gives me a suprisingly decent picture!
That's not surprising as most of the time, the signal over analog cable looks MUCH better than any digital cable or satellite feed as you are getting an uncompressed signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.