AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Sams Club today in Woodridge, Il and they had a 4:3 hd monitor with an Echostar hd receiver on display setup for hd running the demo loop. The problem was the 4:3 screen was filled. No bars. The receiver was indicating hd. No one was even paying attention to the picture. It was coming in terrible. They even have a sign on the tv next to the receiver that explains about hd compaired to sd. I looked at the setup and someone ran component cables and composite cables. I went into the menu on the monitor and it was set to standard view. I set it to widescreen and bam! The display was beautiful. Quite a few people gathered around and gasped at the picture.

We need to form the "hd setup police" and have them go around to these stores that have "hd" on display and make sure they are displaying what they are claiming. Hey Dan B. I do not know if you shop at this Sams Club but keep an eye if you do... They need all the help they can get!

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I caught a similar snaffu at Great Indoors in Schaumburg and I also was compelled to change it to the proper display mode.

------------------

Turn the lights down and the sound up!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Back in early 1984 I was looking for a stereo reverberator, the radio shack people had no idea how to connect it, but since I had one back in the 60s I knew the working principal.

I said let me hook it for 15 minutes then I will unhook it. I was told by the sales rep say go ahead waste your time, his eyes nearly jumped when he heard what it could do. By the time he could get to me I had it all apart and back in the box.

I was going out the door he said wait, how do hook it up? I smiled throw the manuals instructions away, then you can hook it up in a jiffy. The smile faded, I had no idea that radio shack was having a major conecction problem.

When I went back to buy another they said they shipped them all back to korea. It took me 12 years to find 2 guys on the internet who were happy to sell theirs for $40.

Both came with the machine looped cord, they both looked new and both of them had said they couldn't figure out how they could connect it. The catalog # is 42-2108. It's the OOP product that makes my sound system so unique, because I can connect them in 30 seconds or less!

That's one area I will never ask about on the AVS forum, computers yes sound no way. I like having the only device that can make you feel, like your in the grand canyon, that you can use in a chair in your apartment.

I can record the altered sound for use in your car. The way to make a small car sound big to it's riders for they will ask you, how did you ever accomplish this. I was told that enough times one year before my career ending accident in 1985. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kipp,

I do frequent that Sam's Club from time to time, and I have occasionally seen widescreen TVs on display, but the last time I was there, I recall that there wasn't anything out.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open on future visits. It doesn't surprise me that they had the display messed up -- well done for fixing it.

Dan

ps I used to sell TVs at a Sam's Club in Midland, Texas in 1991-92, but back then I was content with SD. How little I knew...

·
Registered
842 Posts
We should all do that when were out shopping. I plan on going to the Best Buy sept 15 before the game and switch to CBS.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just talked this guy out of analog big screen today. He bought a 52" RCA instead. Would have not been my first choice(4:3) but it is digital!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kipp,

While working at Sam's 10 years ago, I saw what the markups were. For most everything, it's around 5-10%. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a shade higher for the big-ticket items though.

I'm going to swing in there this week and take a look at their display, and I'll let you know what I observe.

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan,

I have a feeling that who ever setup the display wanted to fill the screen. I would not be surprised if they switched it back. Hey...we have to get together for a beer and check out each others setup like you said a while ago. My schedule is finally settling down! Let me know.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was VP of Marketing for an (un-named) consumer electronics company that did business with Price/Costco.

Their maximum profit margin in our category was around 11% if I remember correctly (it has been a few years).

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Del,

good idea! The patrol has begun!

Dan,

I go to that Sams about three times a week. They must have just put up that hd display on 8/21 or 8/22. Do you know what Sams markup is on their tvs? Let me know if they decide to start selling that hd receiver...I did not see any signs saying it was for sale.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
943 Posts
My local Sam's Club has a HDTV on display. The have it on the second shelf above floor level. All the smaller TVs are at floor level. Standing in front of the TV, you have to look straight up to even see the picture. It is really bad. I ask them to move it down, so that I could evaluate the quality. They said that they could not move it. It was too tall to fit the floor level shelving. I tried to explain to them that the picture was not viewable at that angle, to no avail.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we go again...I was in Sam's Club on Sat. 9/1 and the monitor was set back to full display and looked like crap. This time I went to get the store manager to show them what was going on. She was very nice and curious to as what was going on. She declared that she has no understanding of new technology and asked me to explain things to her. I showed her the sign they were displaying and showed her the difference when I changed the screen format. She was blown away.

She thanked me for helping out and would keep an eye on the setup even though she will probably not remember how to reset the hd display. She had no idea who was playing around with the set. She did admit she was a little embarrassed that their display sign was saying it was hd and their monitor was not showing that.

------------------

Kipp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.