AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know more about the refresh rates on this TV. I'm not sure I fully understand how the Auto Motion Plus 120hz actually works.

I have yet to see anything on this TV actually run at 120hz. So far everything I've watched on TV has been 60hz. Do only Bluray and certain broadcasts actually run at 120hz?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlopres /forum/post/18149220

Im curious to know more about the refresh rates on this TV. I'm not sure I fully understand how the Auto Motion Plus 120hz actually works.

I have yet to see anything on this TV actually run at 120hz. So far everything I've watched on TV has been 60hz. Do only Bluray and certain broadcasts actually run at 120hz?

Thanks.

That little informational display that pops up when you change channels or inputs is telling you what the tv is receiving from the source device, not what it's actually displaying. There are no 120hz sources.

The tv displays 120 hz at all times, via conversion from the native framerate of the source.

AMP is a separate issue entirely. When you turn it on the set looks at the incoming "real" frames (let's say 60fps for example), interpolates what the missing frames would look like and inserts these "made-up" frames between the real ones. When you turn it off, it just displays each incoming frame twice.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
yep what Steve said is dead on

120hz is basically an enabler for motion enhancement.

motion enhancers cannot work without additional room to add fake frames and 120hz all by itself does practically nothing to the picture except for removing judder from movies by being able to display 24 fps natively by using an even 5:5 pulldown

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.