AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just got my DCT5100 from Adelphia hooked up to my new HNL4365. What should i have the output of the Moto box set to - 1080i or 720p? I understand that most of HD is broadcasted in 1080i, but I believe that the native mode for the DLP set is 720p, hence the dilemma.

Second quick one - I have read the post on this board where one member has his cable split and he feeds his analog channels directly into TV on an antenna input for the analog channels (under 100) - does anyone else have a similar setup or can provide comments on this?

Thank you in advance,

Steven

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
You'll want to set the box to output 720p.

1080i signals will be scaled by the box.

If you set the box to 1080i, those signals

would just be scaled by the tv set itself.

BUT if you set the box to 1080i then 720p signals

would be scaled to 1080i by the box and then

scaled BACK to 720p by the set, which is BAD.

You want 720p to be passed with no scaling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zvgot - if the box is outputting 1080i and the signal is in 1080i - why would the box do any scaling?? I understand your point about 720p signal thought, but all the channels that I will be watching are in 1080i except for ABC.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ladislav_1969
zvgot - if the box is outputting 1080i and the signal is in 1080i - why would the box do any scaling?? I understand your point about 720p signal thought, but all the channels that I will be watching are in 1080i except for ABC.
I think you misread my post. If the box is set to 1080i then 1080i signals

WON'T be scaled by the box. And I didn't say they would be. I said they

would then be scaled by the tv set. When I said 1080i signals would be

scaled by the box, I was talking about having the box set to a 720p output.

I've reread my post and I'm not seeing any inconsistencies.

The 1080i signal will have to be scaled SOMEWHERE. When the picture

reaches your eyeballs your set is only delivering 720 lines of resolution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zvgot - I did not mean to imply that you were inconsistent - I am just trying to learn this HD stuff as I go. Thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I suggest the following for the split for PIP:

-split the cable before the 5100. run one cable into the 5100 and one into the ANT input (A or B)

- run component from the 5100 to the HLN

- also run s-video from the 5100 to the HLN

This will allow flexability on PIP. When watching HD, you can put the Compnent input on the big screen and ANT in the small screen. If you want side-by-side PIP (non-HD only), you can put ANT on one side and S-video on the other.

·
Registered
56 Posts
justman,

That's a great idea (running the s-video as well) for PIP flesibility. Hadn't thought of that (haven't had my set long enough to run into that issue). Does splitting the cable PRIOR to a box make that much of a difference vs using the cable out on the box? (I've unfortunately got the SA300HD).

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.