AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this is going to happen? My wife isn't keen on the 50" TV in the small living room we have :(.

Thanks!

·
Registered
785 Posts
No, no announcements from any manufacturer under 50".

My guess is that it would be sometime, if at all...

There are numerous threads as to whether or not 1080 is even noticably different than 720 when you get as small as 50", much less down to 42"...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I doubt we'll see it anytime soon for that reasion GB.

Red, what's your viewing distance?

Mark

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark,

I'm roughly 9-10 feet away from the TV. I think this should be OK from what I've ready, but we're going from a 27" Trinitron, and we're a little apprehensive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There would be little in any benefit to a 42-50" 1080p set. 1080p really excells in the larger screen sizes.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrulze
There would be little in any benefit to a 42-50" 1080p set. 1080p really excells in the larger screen sizes.
True enough but the better BL and much higher CR would benefit

TVs of any size...

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
Hi Mark,

I'm roughly 9-10 feet away from the TV. I think this should be OK from what I've ready, but we're going from a 27" Trinitron, and we're a little apprehensive.
After your 27" Sony, anything you get is going to look huge for the first week. The good news is that at 1080p resolution, a 50-60" set will look great! It will probably take a couple of weeks to get used to, size wise, but, after that? I'll bet wild horses couldn't get it away from you.

Try spending some time checking out larger sizes from your viewing distance at local retailers. Buy from a B&M with a good exchange policy. That way, if you really feel the need to, you can always back up to a smaller size set. But, I'd bet cash money you won't. If you live with a 60 incher for two weeks, I bet you'll be a hi-rez junkie like so many others here -- jonesin' for DiscoveryHD and a new DVD. Join the club - we are waiting for you! :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Let me try to answer your original question and assume a 50 inch is still out due to WAF issues.

At that distance, with a 42 or 46, I doubt you'd ever notice any difference from 1080p -- even if you could get it. In light of that, I think you'll be fine with a 720p set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.