AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is not a rehash of the controversy brought up in the owner's thread. I have the 5688 and have been looking at the settings a bit, especially DNIe.

There is no menu option to turn DNIe on and off. I at least verified this point with Samsung tech support (both level 1 and level 2). But more on that later.

I know everyone is saying that DNIe is turned on by default on these units and you can't turn it off. However, I am questioning whether it is even turned on, at least for my tv. When I turn the DNIe demo on, the right half of the screen which is without DNIe looks the same as before. But the left side with DNIe on is enhanced (and does seem to look better). And just to clarify what I think DNIe should do, I am assuming it should make the image clearer and more detailed.

I have also gone into the service menu, into the DNIe option and switched it from the default off to on. In this case as well, the picture looks like it is enhanced and sharper. Unfortunately, this setting can't be saved. Some people have posted that this setting is backwards (off should be on and on should be off). To me, it looks like it is right.

Which leads me to the conclusion that DNIe is not on by default. Or another explanation would be that DNIe is "on", but the demo or the service menu is a "DNIe plus" mode, where it is enhanced even further.

For others with a new 1080p model, what do you see when you switch on the demo? If it's always on, you would expect the left side to stay the same, and the image on the right side to get worse. But if you're seeing what I'm seeing, then what would lead you to the conclusion that DNIe is actually on?

So I decided to contact Samsung and see if they knew anything or knew of a way for me to get it switched "on". Samsung has horrible tech support, at least the guy I talked to anyway. I talked to level 1 support and he said that even though the previous models had a way to turn DNIe on and off, these new models don't have that option and by default, it is always on. Since he didn't know more than that, he transferred me to level 2.

I explained what I was seeing to the level 2 support guy, and he was pretty much sticking to the party line that DNIe is always on and there was nothing to my claims. And since it didn't sound like a real problem, I would have to pay for any service call myself to have it checked out. Anyway, he really didn't give me any explanation for why I was seeing what I was seeing.

So is my set broken compared to everyone else's? If someone can at least help me verify whether my set is behaving differently, then I can see where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just like the posts in the other big thread. This exact topic (demo mode, on/off comparison) has been discussed as much as we can without Samsung saying one way or the other.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Sorry about that. I've only read some of the posts in the other thread and thought that the debate was just about whether there was actually a DNIe on/off as opposed to just the demo. I thought everyone was saying that DNIe is turned on.

But is everyone else seeing what I'm seeing when they turn on the DNIe demo? I'd at least want to verify if my unit is acting similar or different. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you want to get a service tech over , just say the picture quality became poor. Even with DVD's . Their are certain phrases the people on the phones will not send a service tech out for. Dont discuss Dnile.

Also in the service menu you should be able to save a setting by simply powering off the TV . Good Luck !

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. But per Mike, if everyone is seeing the same thing, then there's probably not much point in having a service tech over at this point. I know what you mean about the phrases though. It sounded like the tech support guy had fielded questions about DNIe before and just didn't want to talk about it.

For saving the setting in the service menu, I think other people have also confirmed that the DNIe setting doesn't save. Other things do, but powering off the TV and then going back into the SM, the setting is defaulted back to OFF again for whatever reason.

Well, no use dragging this on much more. I'll probably give Samsung another call to see if I can squeeze out any more info. Otherwise, guess I'll just ignore it and enjoy my TV like everyone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.