AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 12093 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,973 Posts
Wow I hope my set isn't any worse. 1/4" tilt doesn't seem so bad anymore. Now I'm getting worried. I can't have them deliver the replacement until Tuesday and that will only give me 16 days until calibration day. Plus I can't keep taking the entire day off just to wait for delivery of the TV.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB /forum/post/0

I think most movies are just up-shifted SD DVD's. I have a large movie collection (1000+) and for a while was comparing my up-shifted DVD's to HBO, Showtime movies and they looked the same.

It really is confusing.

I think we have a couple of things going on here. Some providers such as DirectTV over compress their signals. So what may have started out as a good transfer turns out looking like SD.

The other is that very simply, it looks like someone just ran a SD movie through a scaler.

One of my favorite problem children is trying to watch Law and Order on TNT-HD. The dog gone non linear stretching makes the show not watchable. Other times, it looks like a medium quality HD transfer with no stretching. Kinda make me wonder if they have episodes in 4:3 and others in 16:9 or if somebody's asleep at the transmission facility.

I do have to say that for now, my cable provider, Brighthouse, analog channels look the best they ever have. Since I watch a lot of SciFi network that's not in HD, I benefit. Now their HD transmission has an uncanny habit of freezing and pixelating during critical times in a movie, but never during a commercial.

·
UHD Addict
37,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fenech /forum/post/0

one straggler..

Why does it have xHD3?

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp /forum/post/0

I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm trying to end it. I'm just trying to understand and reach closure which I thought we had done earlier today when you said you were mistaken and that there was NOT a DNIe on/off setting on your 88. That was disappointing to hear but at least it brought closure and made it a dead issue. But then you changed and said that there really IS a DNIe on/off setting on your 88 and so the confusion (at least for me) is back again. Is that not correct? What am I missing?

Btw, I can PM you my email address so you can send me the photos to see for myself if you like. I can also resize them and upload them.

To make this easier for me to understand, could you answer the following questions with a Yes or No answer...

Q: Does your HLRxx88 TV have the ability to turn DNIe On and Off aside from the DNIe Demo mode? If Yes, will we be able to see that in a photo that will be uploaded?

Thanks AkaStp. Now we know the truth from my pics. I still would like to take a picture of my 88 to really make sure. I will do this tomorrow when my unit gets fix. Mike sent all my photos and I am so thankful for this. Sorry for all this tension that I caused by my mistake, OOPS that was sure dump of me. From here on out, we are all cool. Thanks for not ignoring all.

BTW, the picture is also of the TRX2SB stand that people we asking to see. The taper glass is on the front of my stand. Better look too. Mine is all silver, But you can order it with black legs too. They come in the box. TRX3SB, I believe. Check out samsung web site, It is listed there.

I will keep you posted on the 88 series tomorrow afternoon. I swore that this one did have the DNIe function including the demo, But hold your horses or donkey's, let me look.

Thanks for understanding all.

Chris

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus /forum/post/0

Rather than fiddling with it, though, I'm going to wait for SethS, who said he might have a free slot on Monday to come out and do a full calibration...

You should be looking at a great set soon. See if you can get him to post his reactions to your 1080p and how it calibrated. Let us know what you think too.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Davis /forum/post/0

Anybody know of a calibration company in the Phoenix area??

I think there is a good one and he should be mentioned in this thread.

Just got my Samsung DLP calibrated!

If he is not there then just contact some of the calibrators that participated in the thread and they will be able to help you.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope /forum/post/0

how is that TV authority has them and SAMSUNG themselves dont? they have not shipped to anyone yet....period.

Can you explain a bit more. Which sets are you referring to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ed

I too live in Phx. if you find someone let me know

I just ordered from TVA, first time...where did you get yours and what did you get>?

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:

the Samsungs 6768 or 7178

I didn't know that TVA was shipping those models. I guess I haven't been watching close enough or maybe I was distracted by DNIe issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp /forum/post/0

I was kind of wondering about that to. As I'm probably one of the bad people I don't have much to lose so here's my recollection of the saga...

There was a DNIe on/off setting on the 68/78.

Lots of back and forth to try and get clarification.

No DNIe on/off on the 68/78.

The 88 came into the picture and it was that TV that had DNIe on/off.

Lots of back and forth to try and get clarification.

No-one else's 88 has DNIe on/off, just DNIe demo.

When we asked for pictures the digital camera was broken.

Then there was the blow-up, the name-calling, the departure and the return.

Then he apparently purchased a new digital camera and would take some photos.

Then he said he was wrong and that there was no DNIe on/off in the 88. So no need for photos.

Then he wants to go into his service menu and fiddle with the color wheel settings (time enough to do that apparently but not the DNIe photos).

Now we are back to there being DNIe on/off in the 88. But that TV is now broken.

The photos of the DNIe menu are too big too upload.

Did I miss anything?

What gives? A Sherlock Holmes mystery is easier to follow than this!

So, whodunnit?

Yes - I believe he was able to state what a value was from the non-working 88 set. I wonder if it does not turn on, how he was able to produce the value?

Not trying to bash anybody - just reporting things as I read them.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:

when talking about the "Calibration" is this something that NEEDS to be done or does it come calibrated from the factory?

It's your choice. It's a process that can get the best possible picture quality from TV sets. It's done by professionals who generally have been trained by ISF.

You can also buy a "Digital Video Essentials" disk and adjust contrast, brightness, and color to some extent.

Or if you are already happy with your TV's picture quality you can do nothing. That's what most people do.

·
Registered
5.1 System, Paradigm Spurs, Outlaw Sw, Denon x4100w Avr, BDP-83, LG CX65 TV
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 /forum/post/0

At the advice of someone else in this forum I used the Omnimount CCH1. I had to move the rear legs up toward the front, but this was easy to do.

I did the same thing. The omni mount shelf comes in black & silver. I am a little worried about all that weight (15-20 Lbs) at the middle top of the screen, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouper /forum/post/0

My repair guy tried to adjust the DMD and made it worse. It was 3/16" and is now 3/8". He ordered a new one so lets see what happens to both of ours. Also can you check your overscan with a test pattern and see if its way off like mine is (1" vertically and about 1/2" horizontally)

Ouch, that is not encouraging. Are there any test patterns in SM? I don't have any discs and have not yet recorded HDNet patterns.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you ready for a laugh?

I've followed this thread for along time. Those who have done the same, not to mention those who have contributed, know what kind of time committment that is. I've been looking forward to upgrading my HLN507W1 with the 5078, particularly for the better contrast ratio. Now that they are finally local to me, I've gotten more excited.

Well, the 5078 is about one quarter inch taller than my HLN and it won't fit in my cabinet. After all this time, all I had to do was take the info on the very first page of this thread and the original 2005 model thread, measure, and make sure the tv fit. I wonder what I could have done with all that time. What a dope!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

I didn't know that TVA was shipping those models. I guess I haven't been watching close enough or maybe I was distracted by DNIe issues.

TVA is shipping the 6768. No 7178's so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
bcvp: there are a couple of things to consider with the TVA Power Buy. Those being no Tax and no Shipping. I don't know what your state's position is with out of state purchases, buy no Tax could potentially save you a few more $$$$.

3261 - 3280 of 12093 Posts