AVS Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 12093 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 /forum/post/0

Someone asked to see the report generated by SpyderTV after calibration.

See the images below. This gives you an idea what Spyder is doing.

BTW, I misquoted the value for brightness @ 51. It should be 53.

Thanks for posting this. I noticed that you are using standard/warm 2. Do you find warm 2 to provide a better picture than warm 1? Did you do any calibrations with warm 1?

Also, I was thinking of buying the SpyderTV, however, am I right that it will really only calibrate the DVD player since it needs the test patterns in order to calibrate? If I am right then I probably won't get it. What I really want is something similar that would calibrate my HDMI input being fed by a DirecTV HD TiVo.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Morr /forum/post/0

Are you ready for a laugh?

I've followed this thread for along time. Those who have done the same, not to mention those who have contributed, know what kind of time committment that is. I've been looking forward to upgrading my HLN507W1 with the 5078, particularly for the better contrast ratio. Now that they are finally local to me, I've gotten more excited.

Well, the 5078 is about one quarter inch taller than my HLN and it won't fit in my cabinet. After all this time, all I had to do was take the info on the very first page of this thread and the original 2005 model thread, measure, and make sure the tv fit. I wonder what I could have done with all that time. What a dope!

People talk about a base portion that can be removed tha should get you your 1/4". I don't know if the 5078 has one or not. I just got my 5668 this week, and if there is a removable base, I don't see it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheNoob /forum/post/0

The bottom edge of my 6168W looks like... (see attached). The service guy will be here tomorrow at 9am to take a look at it.

My 5668 is this way too. I could tell if it was just a bend up in the corner or if the display was pin cushioned. I only see it when the News has a white box crawl at the bottom of the screen. I am not sure if I will have it fixed (normally it is not easily seen). If I do, I will probably live with it for the next few months until the service supply chain is better filled.

The standard warrantee will still be in place, and it is not really worth swapping with the chance of getting an even worse set.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser /forum/post/0

My 5668 is this way too. I could tell if it was just a bend up in the corner or if the display was pin cushioned. I only see it when the News has a white box crawl at the bottom of the screen. I am not sure if I will have it fixed (normally it is not easily seen). If I do, I will probably live with it for the next few months until the service supply chain is better filled.

The standard warrantee will still be in place, and it is not really worth swapping with the chance of getting an even worse set.

I am also concerned about swapping and may just wait for parts if that's what it needs. You mentioned "... display was pin cushioned", what does that mean? I've seen "pin cushion" mentioned in a few posts but have no clue what it means in terms of TVs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr1 /forum/post/0

For those of you that bought at Tweeters last weekend: I went by and there was a 10% discount sale. The "list" price minus the 10% was no where near TVA's price on the 6168.

Was there some other advertised or unadvertised discount that you were able to take advantage of?

Just wondering.

Their private sale was around 16-20% depending on the model.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe /forum/post/0

I think that you are right. I should not change this. My color wheel is working just fine. I thought that maybe my PQ could get better if I messed with the wheel. But like you said I should not mess with it if it works.

Good advice from a good guy.

Thanks!

Adding to this post, I will take pictures of my settings. Including the DNIe. However, I am wrong about that DNIe setting.
I hold my head in shame and want to pass this situtation.

I am not flaming you nor attacking you. I am as interested in learning more about these TVs as anyone else. Perhaps I'm just slower than most but I find many of your posts regarding the DNIe On/Off issue rather confusing. All I'm doing is asking for some clarification, nothing more. As you can see, I did not misquote you (see post #3333). So for the slower in the group, what exactly are you wrong about in regards to the DNIe setting? I too would like "to pass this situation".

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMetro /forum/post/0

Ouch, that is not encouraging. Are there any test patterns in SM? I don't have any discs and have not yet recorded HDNet patterns.

There are test patterns in the SM and he also had a test signal generator but neither gives you line numbers etc so I could not tell how far off the overscan was. At least with VE there are few test patterns that give you a scale.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:

I am also concerned about swapping and may just wait for parts if that's what it needs. You mentioned "... display was pin cushioned", what does that mean? I've seen "pin cushion" mentioned in a few posts but have no clue what it means in terms of TVs.
Pincushion Definition

Note it states its for CRT's. I am sure that the DLP's don't have the same cause but the effect is still there. Someone earlier mentioned its caused by the extreme expansion of the image from rear projection of a small source.

If you have some amount of overscan on 16:9 images you won't notice it. OTOH for 4:3 or 2.35 images you will notice it if its there.

So far in my informal investigation it seems like the 5668's are the ones reporting the problem. Perhaps I need to start a poll.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:

I am not flaming you nor attacking you. I am as interested in learning more about these TVs as anyone else. Perhaps I'm just slower than most but I find many of your posts regarding the DNIe On/Off issue rather confusing. All I'm doing is asking for some clarification, nothing more. As you can see, I did not misquote you (see post #3333). So for the slower in the group, what exactly are you wrong about in regards to the DNIe setting? I too would like "to pass this situation".

I know that you are not attacking me nor flaming me, this is cool. I want to clear all this up too ASAP. That is why I provided the pics. These pics are from my 6178 and it has the HD3+ chip, is this not right? Should it of had another tyoe of chip. Someone was asking about it.

I will be taking pics, I hope of my 88 today. It is currently not working, but it worked for 2 weeks and now died. I CONFUSED myself, OUCH!!! It was a bad day I guess. My bad. I bought some many different types of equipment recently, that I got confused on what I am working on from time to time and posting the wrong model number. This happened when I jump around a lot in one day. Forgive me.

Let me take Pics in VGA (small KB in size) so I can post what it looks like.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso /forum/post/0

Yes - I believe he was able to state what a value was from the non-working 88 set. I wonder if it does not turn on, how he was able to produce the value?

Not trying to bash anybody - just reporting things as I read them.

My 5688 did work for about 2 weeks and then crashed (wont turn on), What value are you talking about? These pics that Mike posted for me are all from the 6178, not the 5688. I have no pics from that set yet.

But before my 5688 died, I did see the DNIe set up.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim /forum/post/0

My 5668 also lists xHD3 for "FPGA Select".

What happened to the XHD4 chip???? Man this is confusing

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:

The bottom edge of my 6168W looks like... (see attached). The service guy will be here tomorrow at 9am to take a look at it.

Excuse please, I am new to forum. But where did you get the geometric grid to display?

brokat

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

I dont see that the XHD4 chip made it to these sets, Maybe they are holding out for next year's model. I sure dont have it on either set. I thought that Sasmung advertised these sets as having XHD4 chip? Am I wrong?

So what are we really getting is the question?

I need to research this more today.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokat /forum/post/0

Excuse please, I am new to forum. But where did you get the geometric grid to display?

brokat

It's just the desktop background on my HTPC. I created a single white rectangle with a fat black border in MS Paint, set it as my background and tiled it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe /forum/post/0

I dont see that the XHD4 chip made it to these sets, Maybe they are holding out for next year's model. I sure dont have it on either set. I thought that Sasmung advertised these sets as having XHD4 chip? Am I wrong?

So what are we really getting is the question?

I need to research this more today.

I thought they would of had the XHD4 chip...funny Toshiba is advertising their units will have the XHD4...

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:

It's just the desktop background on my HTPC. I created a single white rectangle with a fat black border in MS Paint, set it as my background and tiled it.

Same kind of thing here: Convergence Pattern

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouper /forum/post/0

Pincushion Definition

Note it states its for CRT's. I am sure that the DLP's don't have the same cause but the effect is still there. Someone earlier mentioned its caused by the extreme expansion of the image from rear projection of a small source.

If you have some amount of overscan on 16:9 images you won't notice it. OTOH for 4:3 or 2.35 images you will notice it if its there.

So far in my informal investigation it seems like the 5668's are the ones reporting the problem. Perhaps I need to start a poll.

I do not see pincushioning with my 5668.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouper /forum/post/0

My repair guy tried to adjust the DMD and made it worse. It was 3/16" and is now 3/8". He ordered a new one so lets see what happens to both of ours. Also can you check your overscan with a test pattern and see if its way off like mine is (1" vertically and about 1/2" horizontally)

ccouper... I would gues that my overscan (6168) is very close to yours based on the HD Net test patterns. There seemed to be more vertically than horizontally, and a little more on the bottom than the top. I posted awhile back my exact findings (overscan) on the HD Net pattern. It would be ineteresting to see what others find since that is probably accessable to most in the forum.

Bill

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

FPGA Select does not mean they are or are not using a "xHD4" chip. FPGA is a "field programmable gate array", not the DMD. Bothe the xHD4 and xHD3 are 1080p DMDs and probably require the same control and timing which is what I suspect the FPGA is providing.

3281 - 3300 of 12093 Posts