AVS Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 12093 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/0

It really is confusing.

I think we have a couple of things going on here. Some providers such as DirectTV over compress their signals. So what may have started out as a good transfer turns out looking like SD.

The other is that very simply, it looks like someone just ran a SD movie through a scaler.

Related to this, I watched the HBO HD version of Spiderman II yesterday and while the detail was very nice, the darks/shadows showed lots of pixelation(?) and/or blocking(?). I also have the Superbit version of this and the darks and shadows looked much better on the DVD.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorox /forum/post/0

I'm sorry to keep asking this question, but can someone else check their Index delay setting in the Service Menu?

When you enter service menu (start with TV off, press mute-1-8-2-power) you will see DDP1011 at the top. Then, press enter while highlighted on DDP1011 and you will find "Index Delay" Menu. Whatever that number says is what I'm looking for.

FYI-You won't mess anything up as long as you don't change any values, so you can just hit power to turn off again and then start back up as normal. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Clorox,

I have a 5668 and mine is set to 44. Just wanted to let you know. Not sure if I should adjust it any. I've started to notice my screen doing a kind of twinkle effect when watching HD contect (Discovery HD). Someone post their settings after doing a Sypder calibration with the mode set to standard, contract around 94 and a few other settings. I tried those numbers and it really brought out the twinkling effect. For me SD content has always looked pretty crappy when compared to a standard TV. Maybe I really need to get this thing calibrated????

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Does anyone know of a review or personal test of which HD provider is better? I really don't like the idea of having to buy a HD receiver from Dish or Direct and therefore Comcast in Boston seems to be the way I want to go. Asside from the receivers from those three, who has the most or best channels in HD and what is the quality of these three? I'm guessing Direct might have better channels but people here don't like the PQ as much? That's my take but I have no idea.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet /forum/post/0

Please let me know how this goes. Your image matches what I see on my set very closely.

Thanks,

John

The techs took a look at it and said there was nothing that could be adjusted, the DMD board would have to be replaced. I'll find out next week how long it will take to get a new board but I am leaning towards waiting for parts instead of risking an exchange.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvp /forum/post/0

Does anyone know of a review or personal test of which HD provider is better? I really don't like the idea of having to buy a HD receiver from Dish or Direct and therefore Comcast in Boston seems to be the way I want to go. Asside from the receivers from those three, who has the most or best channels in HD and what is the quality of these three? I'm guessing Direct might have better channels but people here don't like the PQ as much? That's my take but I have no idea.

Go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Find the threads on Boston area HD providers and equipment.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheNoob /forum/post/0

The techs took a look at it and said there was nothing that could be adjusted, the DMD board would have to be replaced. I'll find out next week how long it will take to get a new board but I am leaning towards waiting for parts instead of risking an exchange.

I also needed a new board and as of a week ago there was no ETA on when the part would be available. Hopefully that has now changed, but the Samsung rep I spoke with said that based on that it could be anywhere between weeks and months. As a result, I went for an exchange, which was shipped out right away and is already on its way, however, I just hope that I didn't make a mistake. BTW - I too would've waited for the part if they had any idea of how long it would've taken.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Will Mor, just my two sense here. You could simply sell your set and cabinet and re-decorate your house! I think its worth the new TV. You could get a new stand for as low as $250 like the Samsung made for the TV.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think it would be helpful to breakdown issues by size, model, and country, that is K or M. If you have your set serviced or exchanged it would be helpful to see if a 5078M had more issues and I'm also thinking about the SM settings to see if there is a pattern.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
For those of you who have not been with us since the beginning of this thread or the other general HLR thread, the xHD4 designation is only used by us in this Forum. TI does not make a xHD3 or an xHD4 chip. If you ask TI they make a .85" 1080P DMD. TI in the past did use the xHD3 designation (CES04), but to the best of our knowledge these chips have never been put into a production model. About the time CES05 rolled around, it was clear that changes had been made to the xHD3 chip and we started to call it the xHD4. TI quit using the _HD_ terminology early this year and now uses a diagonal chip measurement (.55", .85" etc.) followed by the resolution (720P, 1080P).

Don't get wrapped around these designations. TI only makes one 1080p chip!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe /forum/post/0

...my 88 series can turn the DNIe on or off. Not only for the Demo either. ... Why dont you guys go to Fry's and try there sets. The floor model at fry's in Burbank, CA showed the same thing that I have been talking about all along, Series 88 one. I

Fry's in Burbank has one HLRxxx8W floor model, that is a 5668. There is a 5087 on the floor, but no 5088. I was there yesterday and it is exactly the same set of floor models that were there a week ago Thursday and again on last Monday.

Lee

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 /forum/post/0

For those of you who have not been with us since the beginning of this thread or the other general HLR thread, the xHD4 designation is only used by us in this Forum. TI does not make a xHD3 or an xHD4 chip. If you ask TI they make a .85" 1080P DMD. TI in the past did use the xHD3 designation (CES04), but to the best of our knowledge these chips have never been put into a production model. About the time CES05 rolled around, it was clear that changes had been made to the xHD3 chip and we started to call it the xHD4. TI quit using the _HD_ terminology early this year and now uses a diagonal chip measurement (.55", .85" etc.) followed by the resolution (720P, 1080P).

Don't get wrapped around these designations. TI only makes one 1080p chip!

That may be true, but the SM for these sets does specifically describe it as an xHD3 chip.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell /forum/post/0

Fry's in Burbank has one HLRxxx8W floor model, that is a 5668. There is a 5087 on the floor, but no 5088. I was there yesterday and it is exactly the same set of floor models that were there a week ago Thursday and again on last Monday.

Lee

I was there on Thursday shopping for work, maybe we crossed each other's path and didnt even know it. I was looking at that TV that Fry's has on the floor. It is on the back end cap in the TV section? It has a black entertainment center around it. Is this the one? It is the 5087, but isnt the 5087 and 5088 the same? They sure look the same. My 88 looks the same as the 87. I will go back next week sometime to check it out. They told me that they had the 5088 on the floor, but I could not find it. The sales people relly dont know much, I think.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko /forum/post/0

That may be true, but the SM for these sets does specifically describe it as an xHD3 chip.

And Toshiba states it will have a XHD4...there has to be something to this.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:

Another team member called me back today from Samsung and told me that the new sets have the xHD4 chip in them. Then why does the menu show in my pics, xHD3? I also thought that TI got rid of the xHD3 chip and replaced it with the xHD4, calling it a different name instead of using xHD3 or xHD4. Well, I mean different chip design .55, .85, etc.

Now I dont know who to believe, But maybe in fact that the xHD3 and xHD4 are the same chip, just different size .55, .85, etc. and now a new name.

This is cool as long as these TV's work that is fine with me.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus /forum/post/0

On my 6168 it's set to 51.

Edit: Interesting that it's so different on different people's sets (even at the same size). ...

As I put in am earlier post, since this appears to set the sync of the DMD chip to the color wheel, and the wheel is a mechanical device, I would really expect there to be differences, even significant ones.

Lee

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
quick question: Do the 1080p sets have the option to turn off DNIe? As opposed to the new 720p that only have the demo to show on and off modes.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:

I was there on Thursday shopping for work, maybe we crossed each other's path and didnt even know it. I was looking at that TV that Fry's has on the floor. It is on the back end cap in the TV section? It has a black entertainment center around it. Is this the one? It is the 5087, but isnt the 5087 and 5088 the same? They sure look the same. My 88 looks the same as the 87. I will go back next week sometime to check it out. They told me that they had the 5088 on the floor, but I could not find it. The sales people relly dont know much, I think.

5087 is the 720 pedistal model (which may explain the DNIe difference). There is no 5088, only a 5688, which is the one we're assuming you own and claim its menu, now, to be the same as the 5087 you saw at Fry's. Please do no say that something is confirmed with anything other then the exact model number. It will clear up a lot of confusion if every fact posted is referenced in line to the model number.

EDIT: DOH! Guess I was too slow AkaStp! It seems to be pretty clear what the issue was now... but i'm sure, as always, people want something clearer from the horses mouth, so to speak.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:

What makes you think it's referring to the DMD chip?

Schaffer970's history of the 1080p DMD chip matches what I remember.

I'm not an engineer, but this information makes sense to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim /forum/post/0

FPGA Select does not mean they are or are not using a "xHD4" chip. FPGA is a "field programmable gate array", not the DMD. Bothe the xHD4 and xHD3 are 1080p DMDs and probably require the same control and timing which is what I suspect the FPGA is providing.

This information doesn't.

Quote:

I have confirmed that Samsung is using the XHD3 chip in there TV's, for new models. the XHD3 and XHD4 are 1080p DMD's.
Fact. TI had a demonstration set with a DMD chip at CES 2004. They referred to it as their xHD3 DMD chip.

Fact. When the 1080p sets were introduced at CES 2005 TI no longer used the same nomenclature for their DMD chips. BUT, the specifications for their 1080p chip had been improved significantly. ALL the 1080p sets have the new improved version of TI's 1080p wobulated smooth DMD chip.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:

The HLR5087 is a 720p pedestal model and may indeed have the ability to turn off DNIe since it's internals are probably very much like the HLP model from 2004.

It's no surprise to us Fry's fans that Fry's TV sales people would be confused about such a minor detail.

Once in a while someone asks how I came to post so many times. Trying to unscramble information snarls is one reason.

Trying not to start information snarls is another.

3301 - 3320 of 12093 Posts