AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 12093 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko /forum/post/0

Thanks for posting this. I noticed that you are using standard/warm 2. Do you find warm 2 to provide a better picture than warm 1? Did you do any calibrations with warm 1?

Also, I was thinking of buying the SpyderTV, however, am I right that it will really only calibrate the DVD player since it needs the test patterns in order to calibrate? If I am right then I probably won't get it. What I really want is something similar that would calibrate my HDMI input being fed by a DirecTV HD TiVo.

Rich,

The software uses test patterns generated from a DVD. My player is connected via HDMI, and, when HDMI is used the "Hue" adjustment in the Sammy is greyed out. I left all my settings on the DVD player to "0". I believe this is about as neutral of a source that is easily obtainable.

The color temp is one of the first adjustments you make. My understanding is the color temp is just a rudimentary grayscale adjustment. The software has you check all color temp settings, and then suggests the closest to the target grayscale. In this case it was warm 2. All other adjustments are done after setting the correct temp, so this leads me to believe it is the most critical.

Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe /forum/post/0

I was there on Thursday shopping for work, maybe we crossed each other's path and didnt even know it. I was looking at that TV that Fry's has on the floor. It is on the back end cap in the TV section? It has a black entertainment center around it. Is this the one? It is the 5087, but isnt the 5087 and 5088 the same? They sure look the same. My 88 looks the same as the 87. I will go back next week sometime to check it out. They told me that they had the 5088 on the floor, but I could not find it. The sales people relly dont know much, I think.

Two weeks ago, the Fry's knuckleheads ..er..sale associates told me the same thing. They were wrong, that display unit is a 5087, 720P pedestal model, therefore the DNIe can be turned off. The ONLY 1080P in the Burbank Fry's is a 5668 and only the DNIe Demo mode can be turned on or off.

Lee

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp /forum/post/0

Uh, no! The 87 is a 50" 720p set, the 88 is a 56" 1080p set. According to Samsung's web site there is no 5088.

Acording to the manual, the 5087 has a DNIe On/Off setting but the 5688 does not. So, if you viewed a 5087 in the store you WILL find a DNIe on/off menu but you said you have a 5688 at home which, according to the manual and other owners, does NOT have this menu (though you claim it does).

I have the 5688 model. Boy these models are confusing, only to me? Anyway, The one at Fry's which is the 5087 has the DNIe on/off like you said. I really beleive that it is not found on the 5688 model that I have, but I would love to check still, but mine is dead. I think that I will scrap this model and trade it in for the 6178 for upstairs. Now the 88 is smoking in the rear. I am so feed up with this set.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe /forum/post/0

Now the 88 is smoking in the rear.

Believe me; after all your nonsensical posts, the rest of us on this forum, and your TV, now share something in common.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
quick question: Do the 1080p sets have the option to turn off DNIe?

Now that's funny!

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 /forum/post/0

Believe me; after all your nonsensical posts, the rest of us on this forum, and your TV, now share something in common.

We do now share something in common and I though that I was living in style, not with a dead set in my house, Upstairs too. OUCH!!!
Sense it is broken, should I take it apart? My warranty might be voided then. I want a new set and dont want this fixed. What a junker. I will ask for the 6178 or even the 6768, why not.

I now feel all your pain of everything.

Not all my post were nonsensical. I did help many of the people here about the TV stand dimensions, Index delay number, and my pics did help, Right?

What did you think about my home setup so far? I might change it a little.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We all need to drop the discussion of whether you can turn DNIe off, regardless who has been misinformed and who has done the misinforming. It has wasted so much space on this thread.

Until someone posts a picture that shows otherwise, I think it is settled that DNIe does not have an On/Off option other than the demo.

Let us move on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
AkaStp: Probably a good thing that you mention that you are not anti-Sony given the review (from another site) that follows:

Sony KDL-32XBR950

Home Review Video Specs User opinions Essentials Compare Where to buy Log In

User rating

Perfect

10 out of 10"VERY BEST TV EVER, AWESOME AND VERY GOOD QUAILTY!!"

by Stallionre (cnet member) - June 7, 2005

Pros: EASE TO USE AND TO LEARN. VERY SLEEK, VERY NICE PICTURE AND

FEATURES.

Cons: NOTHING TO REPORT

end

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,329
StallionRe ... Here is a link to accurate and complete information on the 2005 Samsung DLP models: CLICK HERE . If you want to constantly post in an advanced thread like this one, please commit this basic knowledge to memory first. You are constantly opening up closed issues, giving out misleading information, and making it generally difficult to raise the level of analysis and dialog in this thread. Sorry for the direct comments, but I am sure I speak for the many owners that are hoping this thread will step up to the next level. If you are new to this hobby, it is OK just read the posts and not comment.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorox /forum/post/0

We all need to drop the discussion of whether you can turn DNIe off, regardless who has been misinformed and who has done the misinforming. It has wasted so much space on this thread.

Until someone posts a picture that shows otherwise, I think it is settled that DNIe does not have an On/Off option other than the demo.

Let us move on.

Thank You Clorox... you took the words right out of my mouth...Enough already!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Does anyone have a manual or something that states what the bandwidth or really the mhz is on the 78's? I think I have everything solved but now it seems the 1080 has to be 186-200mhz in order to have true 1:1 mapping and all of that good stuff. I went to page one here and to the specs at Samsung and couldn't find the mhx. Thanks again.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB /forum/post/0

StallionRe ... Here is a link to accurate and complete information on the 2005 Samsung DLP models: CLICK HERE . If you want to constantly post in an advanced thread like this one, please commit this basic knowledge to memory first. You are constantly opening up closed issues, giving out misleading information, and making it generally difficult to raise the level of analysis and dialog in this thread. Sorry for the direct comments, but I am sure I speak for the many owners that are hoping this thread will step up to the next level. If you are new to this hobby, it is OK just read the posts and not comment.

POINT TAKEN. Yes I am also a Sony fan, since 1991. I am glad that AkaStp likes Sony. I am on many forums, thanks for the Heads up and information, because I thought that I forgot the rules.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts

Quote:

I agree I am at the point of not reading it anymore

·
Registered
741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

Thank You Clorox... you took the words right out of my mouth...Enough already!

I gave up on the issue of DNIe on/off no matter what.

I am getting a new TV next week. It will ship today, the 67" is in stock.

My 88 will be removed tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheNoob /forum/post/0

The techs took a look at it and said there was nothing that could be adjusted, the DMD board would have to be replaced. I'll find out next week how long it will take to get a new board but I am leaning towards waiting for parts instead of risking an exchange.

So you are at the same place I am. I called SS after the tech guy left and stated he could not fix it. They stated they would have to wait for his SAW(?) - his report. They were indicating that they would have to replace the TV.

I don't think there are a sufficient number of good DMDs out there to keep doing that. Clorox has eaten into much of the supply

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:

AMEN...this has been KILLING me.

Now, back to the matter at hand.

I know UCSB did a quick test run with a Panasonic s97 a while back, but I am curious to hear from owners who have been using this player with the new Sammys for a while now. Thanks in advance for any feedback regarding the Sammy 1080p's with the s97.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Don't forget there is the "Ignore List" that can be used. It allows you to eliminate a given individuals postings from being seen. I only have one individual on my Ignore List (and no it's not you StallionRE) it is very effective at keeping the blood pressure down.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 /forum/post/0

Don't forget there is the "Ignore List" that can be used. It allows you to eliminate a given individuals postings from being seen. I only have one individual on my Ignore List (and no it's not you StallionRE) it is very effective at keeping the blood pressure down.

I've used it in the past but haven't needed it lately. Does that mean I have too much free time?

If you do use the "Ignore List" you still see that there are messages with a link, and you can still open them. There are also the quotes to get through.

·
Registered
105 Posts
UCSB:

At the risk of getting rained on (or worse) I have to say that I like reading Stallionre's posts and his sometimes shoot from the hip opinions. Instead of cutting him off, can we (you) give him his own Stallionre's Samsung Sidebar thread - or something like that? I bet it would be very popular and provide a place for members to loosen up from time to time without contaminating the primary threads which necessarily should be more exact and data oriented. In exchange, perhaps he could agree to only post in his own thread.

Thanks.

Stallionre - if you object to this, then I apologize and defer to you. Just trying to find a way to keep you posting and posting an posting and posting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As this is my first large screen HD set (6168), I would like to make a PQ observation and make certain that this is normal given the DLP technology in the new 1080p's...

It seems that whenever there is a very fast transition in the content (DVD or HD cable) from light to dark - like a strobe or moving spotlight effect or some bright action that comes across previous dark material (pixels) - I get considerable momentary breakup of the picture in that area. I'm not sure if you refer to this as pixelation(?) or microblocking(?). Is this normal for these sets? It doesn't really bother me much as it only occurs rarely, but it sure is ugly when it happens.

Thanks!

3321 - 3340 of 12093 Posts