AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help and tell me how to achieve this combo...

I want a Samsung 160 with High Def (OTA) and HD DirecTV... but I also want TiVo! So can I add a regular TiVo and have it function normally for all the DirecTV stuff? I know it won't work on HD signals, etc... but will it work to tune/record/time-shift/pause DirecTV?

I'm hoping I can use just a regular Series 1 (although I know they weren't called that) which will tide me offer until HD TiVo are available and at a reasonable price (ie. not the brand new Zenith HDR).

Bonus question: Any suggestion how I order all this?

I really need:

Samsung SIR-TS160

HD DirecTV service

Triple LNB Sat Dish

TiVo (The less expensive the better)

DirecTV receiver for second bedroom (could care less which model, no hi-def, etc...)

I'm new to D* as well as Tivo (currently I'm on Cox Digital Cable). All this is foreign to me and all the deals on web-sites seem to suggest it's HD _OR_ TiVo but never talk about how to combine an HD D* with TiVo for regular D*.

One more thing, I know with that in the integrated DirecTiVo's there are two tuners for recording one program while watching another. Perhaps that’s worth getting a DirecTiVo and put that next to the Samsung 160? Would that work? Has anyone ever seen a “package†like that?

Thanks to all those that "know" this equipment better than I!

One last detail I have a Samsung HLN467 (soon to be 567) and plan to hook the 160 up via DVI, so if I had a DirecTiVo hooked up to the same set could it connect via component?

-Jon

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you don't already have D*, they have a promotion for new subscribers that will set you up with a DirecTivo relatively cheap. If you only want to record SD D* programming the DirecTivo is much better than a stand alone Tivo (IMHO) but be aware that the DirecTivo can't record OTA channels.

As for the TS-160, if you are already a D* customer they have a promotion (check this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=290120 ) right now that gives you the HD reciever, the triple LNB, and installation for $399. They offer either the TS-160 or the Hughes E86. You can't pick which receiver you get but I was sent the TS-160 and so were many others on this board. Call D* and ask to speak to their customer installation services to get the deal.

If you aren't already a D* subscriber the $399 HD upgrade doesn't apply but I have seen other people get the DirecTivo package for new subscribers and then in a week after having it installed, calling back and getting the HD upgrade. Worth a try at least.

The DirecTivo only has Svideo and composite outputs. The TS-160 has DVI and component outputs. The E86 does not have DVI, only component

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If you just need the Tivo, order the DirecTivo from the DirecTV web site. Use the promotional code ffdvr and you can get it for $99+$14.96 shipping and installation is free.

-Robert

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
To answer your question directly, yes, you could get a stand-alone Tivo and a SIR-T160 HD receiver, and use them together. The T160 is one of the few HD receivers that will output SD video from the S-video or composite video simultaneously to outputting HD over DVI or component. BUT, I agree with the other guys... you are better off getting a DirecTV-Tivo combo box, and let it record SD directly off the satellite. It's much cheaper than the stand-alone version (because it doesn't have to do any MPEG encoding), provides lossless recording (recorded shows play back at same quality as they were directly off the satellite), more recording time (unless you record on the standalone at lower quality), records and plays back Dolby Digital, can record two shows at one time (while still letting you watch a third recorded show, and/or watch another show off your separate HD receiver) and can provide more seamless operation, since it's all in one box. The stand-alone box can do none of this, and the ONLY thing you give up is the ability to record programming that does NOT come off the satellite (like OTA), and the ability to record down-converted HD (like HDnet, downconverted by the T160 to SD). I'd try getting one of the new customer deals to get a DirecTiVo and a second room standard receiver on the cheap, then once your a customer get the $399 HD deal.

Or, you could wait about six months for the HD-DirecTiVo to come out, and get it all in one box. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

After great frustration I picked up the phone (funny we forget we can still do that) and called americansatellite.com. They were somewhat helpful… They admitted there weren't really any packages designed to suit what I wanted to get. I checked expertsatellite’s website and found basically the same thing.

I’d have to buy a "package" and then buy a piece on it's own with no dicounts. Which piece (HD Tuner or DirecTiVo tuner) is a matter of figuring out the cheapest combo would be cheapest.

It looks to be about $700 to buy a 2-rm package which includes a Tri-LNB Dish, HDVR2, HBH-SA, then buying the HD receiver separate... ouch…

I was busy coming to terms with this costing so much when it occurred to me that there is an extra “gotcha†in this solution. I'd have to pay DirecTV for service on all 3 receiver boxes even though I only have two TV's.

So, now I am thoroughly frustrated enough to say screw-it! …besides more I look the more the more it looks like D* would be more expensive than cable.

Darn it!!! I really want a "single" tuner solution for HD OTA and SD (cable or D*). I guess I'm still waiting... I suppose my "dream" would be a HD cable box that also picked up HD OTA, but as best as I've heard there arn't even plans for one of those...

Thanks again!

Jon

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Not that I'm endorsing OrbitSat, but I just popped there to see what packages they had, and they have a two room system (one DirecTiVo, one regular receiver) which includes a single sat dish, installation, and multiswitch for $68. The $399 HD deal from DirecTV includes the HD receiver, install, and multi-sat receiver with built in multiswitch. So combining those two packages would be $467, and you'd have a single sat dish & multiswitch you could sell on ebay, probably getting your end price back under $400. You would pay $10/month in receiver charges.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darin - Thanks for the info I'll check it out too!

I was searching around based on my recent realization that what I "really" want to cable with an integrated HD OTA tuner and found the LG LST-3410A in the HDTV STB Synopsis. Granted it's liekly we'll have another ice age before Cox would make it, or something like it, available...

One note on some of the killer DirectTV deals is that some require you be in one of thier "new" local channel markets... which Los Angeles is not... I'm off to check out the deal you mentioned.

·
Registered
294 Posts
jb510,

I just setup your exact scenario. Just got my TS160 through D* and I currently own a "Series 1" standalone TiVo. It can be done, but I don't like how it functions. With my old sat receiver (RCA), I could use the serial cable to change channels. This worked pretty well, but now I had to switch to using IR to control the TS160 from the TiVo. This is very slow and I think I will be switching back to the RCA receiver for TiVo viewing and use the TS160 for HD and other sat viewing.

Dan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.