AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If im using the Samsung t160 with a dish and antenna for HDTV, can i use DVI-D all the way from the sat receiver to the Marantz s2? I know that DVI-D is digital only. The directTv stuff is digital, Is the over the air HDTV broadcast considered all digital also? would I be able to watch directTv and terrestrial broadcast of HDTV using the DVI-D connection only? Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
RonR:

Yes, you can use DVI from the TS160 to your TV (Marantz s2 ?). I'm presently hooked up from the TS160 to a Hitachi 57TWX20B RPTV via DVI only. I feed the TS160 with a Satellite dish and an OTA antenna in the attic. All HDTV broadcasts from both feeds come in great. You may have an issue with the picture being shifted to the right when using DVI - mine is shifted 1-1/2". Supposedly there will be a firmware update in the future that will add a submenu choice to center picture.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
You may have an issue with the picture being shifted to the right when using DVI
I really wonder if Samsung should be replacing STB's with this problem, I do not have it and it seems that the later models do not either, I just hope they fix it on the firmware update for those affected.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
vfrjim:

They are not replacing units for the picture shift problem. We'll have to wait for the firmware download via Directv to fix this - I'd say 4-6 months based on their track record so far.

What TV are you hooked up to? - that would be the only reason you're not having the shift problem -- I don't think it's anything they corrected in the "later models" of the TS160. The only hardware change they have made is to some of the units that had a "red push" and it's my understanding that they are still shipping the units with the original version 1.0.04 firmware.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
What TV are you hooked up to?
It is connected to a HLM507W.

Jim

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLB
They are not replacing units for the picture shift problem. We'll have to wait for the firmware download via Directv to fix this - I'd say 4-6 months based on their track record so far.
I'd guess 4-6 weeks is probably a better guess, maybe even sooner. From what I've read/heard, the new firmware is already at DTV, and their process usually is a month or two, not 4-6.

But hey, who knows! :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
As I understand it the first firmware download won't have anything except the "PSIP lockup" and "invalid card" issue resolutions. Centering of picture submenu, OTA scanning, dark picture, etc., etc. will come later, if ever. That's the 4 -6 months I'm talking about...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.