AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Samsung 160 from Direct TV as part of the Advanced product replacement program. My Toshiba dst3000 continually was overheating and I was tired of the fan noise to keep it cool. Well they sent me the Samsung as the replacement. I got it hooked up and activated last night.

This morning I turned it on to find the "update failed" screen. Is there a trick to make the update take, on the Toshiba I never had this problem.

I beg forgiveness in advance, when I searched I coundn't find a direct thread to this issue, and I didn't want to read 2500 posts in the long thread.

The 160 has firmware 1.0.6, I read the latest was 1.0.10 or somthing like that, what issues does the lastest firmware fix? I am wondering if I should be concerned that I don't have the latest firmware, or is it no big deal?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
mine took almost 2weeks to update

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mine took almost two weeks to update. When I called, Samsung said it was a problem with the DirectTv Signal. Anyway, it finally updated to version .10.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I tried the Sammy and had the same update issue. I spent hours on the phone with D* and Sammy as they both blamed each other. Bottom line is I returned the Sammy and went with the Sony HD200. The Sony updated in hours NO PROBLEM. Also the Sony has better PQ along with much nicer SM features. The Sony OTA tuner also blew away the Sammy tuner. Stations that I could not get on the Sammy came in no problem on the Sony. Sorry but Sammy losses out on this one!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kydee6039
How does the receiver update?? Is it through the satelite, telephone connection, etc...???
The Sat:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know what Hu cards are, so I can't answer your question. And since I didn't buy the receiver I can't return it for a Sony or any other receiver. I could prehaps complain to Direct, but don't know if they would do anything.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I got my sammy today and luckily it updated within a few hours - i was surprised after reading this thread before it arrived.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
no, it dosent work with hu cards. i bought mine assuming it did, what a disapointment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Only new HDTV receiver that works with P3 (HU) is the Hughes E86. All new Receivers 5th Generation and up marry to the new P5 cards. It is only $10 more a month.

Keep your old receiver when you use your P3 (HU).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It did update on the third try. I don't know yet what changes, enhancements or bugs it fixed, but at least I got the latest and greatest firmware.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by buffster
It did update on the third try. I don't know yet what changes, enhancements or bugs it fixed, but at least I got the latest and greatest firmware.
Good news. I've had my 160 about two weeks and it just updated. For those of you new to this thread, the majority of the new 160's seem to follow the same pattern - fail upgrading twice a day for about two weeks, then successfully upgrade. I was going to call D* until I read this thread, then just decided to wait and see. Much simpler than trying to explain the problem to a first-line customer support person who has NO IDEA what you are talking about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.